GDT: Flames @ Ducks 8:30 PM Start, Sportsnet's Other Channel

Bounces R Way

Nov 18, 2013
Weegartown
LOL

All the 7/8 points BS used to excuse this weak trip will be embarrassing.

Need OT to beat a terrible Anaheim team, got 4 points against a Sharks team most beer league teams could beat and outplayed with a fluke point against the ok-ish team we faced.

7/8 points is good but all this trip showed is that this team isn’t close to good enough to compete for anything.

80b.gif

MM917

Aug 18, 2022
The same sharks team annihilated the Wild a playoff team, the Kings lost to Arizona, and regardless we've shown progress and have shown we can defeat top teams like the avs and knights.

Good that the Sharks had a good win once this year all bad teams have a couple of those each year it doesn't change the fact they are a terrible team.

People are bragging that we are in 8th place in a weak conference/division. That is not impressive, that is not something to celebrate.

We might be able to beat the Avs or Knights in a one off game but we will get destroyed by them and others in a play-off series.

Bjornar Moxnes

Stem Rødt og Felix Unger Sörum
Oct 16, 2016
Troms og Finnmark
Good that the Sharks had a good win once this year all bad teams have a couple of those each year it doesn't change the fact they are a terrible team.

People are bragging that we are in 8th place in a weak conference/division. That is not impressive, that is not something to celebrate.

We might be able to beat the Avs or Knights in a one off game but we will get destroyed by them and others in a play-off series.

If anything our biggest issue is struggling against clearly non-playoff teams like MTL and CBJ that is the main issue. We've more than shown we can handle and keep up with actual playoff teams.

Against playoff/playoff caliber teams: 9-7-5
Against non-playoff caliber teams: 7-5-2

We can definitely do better yes, but we've still shown we can keep up and there's plenty of room to improve. For context 3 of the 5 OT/SOL to playoff caliber teams were due to stupidity in penalties and also against EASTERN teams. If we sneak into the playoffs, we wouldn't have to worry about taking penalties in a 3on3 situation.

LA:
Against playoff/playoff caliber teams: 7-10-2
Against non-playoff teams: 12-2-4

LA has completely slaughtered non-playoff teams, but is doing terribly against actual playoff teams. Now this doesn't matter in makign the playoffs, but it does matter when the playoffs are around. So if we marginally improve against playoff teams and significantly improve against non-playoff teams, both of which are very acheivable, we're good to go.

Last edited:

MM917

Aug 18, 2022
If anything our biggest issue is struggling against clearly non-playoff teams like MTL and CBJ that is the main issue. We've more than shown we can handle and keep up with actual playoff teams.

Against playoff/playoff caliber teams: 9-7-5
Against non-playoff caliber teams: 7-5-2

We can definitely do better yes, but we've still shown we can keep up and there's plenty of room to improve. For context 3 of the 5 OT/SOL to playoff caliber teams were due to stupidity in penalties and also against EASTERN teams. If we sneak into the playoffs, we wouldn't have to worry about taking penalties in a 3on3 situation.

LA:
Against playoff/playoff caliber teams: 7-10-2
Against non-playoff teams: 12-2-4

LA has completely slaughtered non-playoff teams, but is doing terribly against actual playoff teams. Now this doesn't matter in makign the playoffs, but it does matter when the playoffs are around. So if we marginally improve against playoff teams and significantly improve against non-playoff teams, both of which are very acheivable, we're good to go.

9-7-5 is not a good record though. That shouldn't instill any confidence that we will do anything in the play-offs. That is the record of a team that I would expect would be 50/50 at best to get out of the first round and then need a massive amount of luck to go any further if they did win. That is not the kind of team that I would want us to be at anytime but especially not now with the age of the team, the amount of draft picks we traded away, the terrible contracts we have locked into and the zero quality young players/prospects we have. We are in a win now mode and the fact that we have to celebrate mediocre records and accomplishments is scary.

Edit:

I would say that LA is not a good team so I am not surprised they have a bad record like that.

Bjornar Moxnes

Oct 16, 2016
Troms og Finnmark
9-7-5 is not a good record though. That shouldn't instill any confidence that we will do anything in the play-offs. That is the record of a team that I would expect would be 50/50 at best to get out of the first round and then need a massive amount of luck to go any further if they did win. That is not the kind of team that I would want us to be at anytime but especially not now with the age of the team, the amount of draft picks we traded away, the terrible contracts we have locked into and the zero quality young players/prospects we have. We are in a win now mode and the fact that we have to celebrate mediocre records and accomplishments is scary.

Edit:

I would say that LA is not a good team so I am not surprised they have a bad record like that.

Our prospects aren't bad at all. Even when comparing to LA again, I'd argue we have a better farm team overall.

MM917

Aug 18, 2022
Our prospects aren't bad at all. Even when comparing to LA again, I'd argue we have a better farm team overall.

Our prospects aren't good and having a better farm team means nothing as those teams are often carried by guys that will have zero impact in the NHL.

I would say we currently have zero players not on the NHL that are likely to ever be contributing players to a Flames team. Guys like Zary, Pelletier will get some games but nothing significant. Coronato is a dime a dozen First rounder that every team has.

LA has prospects like Byfield, Turcotte, Clarke that we do not. Which makes sense considering how bad they have been and that they have not been trading away picks for fun.

Tkachuk Norris

Jun 22, 2012
Our prospects aren't good and having a better farm team means nothing as those teams are often carried by guys that will have zero impact in the NHL.

I would say we currently have zero players not on the NHL that are likely to ever be contributing players to a Flames team. Guys like Zary, Pelletier will get some games but nothing significant. Coronato is a dime a dozen First rounder that every team has.

LA has prospects like Byfield, Turcotte, Clarke that we do not. Which makes sense considering how bad they have been and that they have not been trading away picks for fun.
you have no idea what you’re talking about.

The Flames pool is much like when we had Andersson, Kylington, Fox, Mangiapane, Ferland and were ranked last by most publications.

We have an elite prospect in Dustin Wolf. Then we have about 5 players that look like NHL players (Zary, Ruzicka, Poirier, Pelletier and Coronato). Calling Coronato a dime a dozen prospect shows you have zero clue what you’re talking about. He is the next Cammalerri/DeBrincat type which we sorely need.

Continue making an ass of yourself and go tell us how great Dylan Holloway and Phillip Broberg are.

Bjornar Moxnes

Oct 16, 2016
Troms og Finnmark

The Flames pool is much like when we had Andersson, Kylington, Fox, Mangiapane, Ferland and were ranked last by most publications.

We have an elite prospect in Dustin Wolf. Then we have about 5 players that look like NHL players (Zary, Ruzicka, Poirier, Pelletier and Coronato). Calling Coronato a dime a dozen prospect shows you have zero clue what you’re talking about. He is the next Cammalerri/DeBrincat type which we sorely need.

Continue making an ass of yourself and go tell us how great Dylan Holloway and Phillip Broberg are.
Even in our division, our prospect pool is fine. it's much better than Vancouver and Vegas. It's better than Edmonton. It's arguably better than LA (If Byfield and Turcotte both match their pedigree, then I'd put them above us, but as it stands they're both eh, and they don't have a goalie near Wolf's caliber). Anaheim and Krakens for sure have better prospects than us and maybe the Sharks as well (But even then idk I feel Sharks will only have a better prospect after this draft, currently their best is Eklund and he's not anything too out of the ordinary).

MM917

Aug 18, 2022

Sorry but it is you who has no idea and can't let their Flames bias cloud what is reality.

Wolf is not close to being an elite prospect. That doesn't mean he sucks but there are few elite prospects out there and Wolf certainly isn't one.

Debrincat and Cammalieri were great players, there are few prospects in the NHL that will likely match their production to pretend that Coronato is that guy based on nothing is silly. He had a fine career in the NCAA, nothing great, nothing bad, meh WJHC. There is nothing in his game since he has been drafted that indicates he will be close to the other two players. Another case of badly overrating a prospect because he is with the Flames. That is a truly clueless statement.

Ruzicka is 23 years old and already with the the Flames it is stretch to claim he is a prospect. The other guys listed every team has guys like that in their pool. They are no better than what every team in the NHL and as I said unlikely to have an impact on the Flames outside of a few games here and there to see if they have anything.

Why would I talk about Holloway or Broberg? I don't think they are any thing great either. Such a pathetic move to try and say anyone who is realistic about the Flames and doesn't badly overrate them must be an Oiler fan. If that is how thin your skin you are going to have a massive issue when none of the hero's you labelled as great turn out.

Even in our division, our prospect pool is fine. it's much better than Vancouver and Vegas. It's better than Edmonton. It's arguably better than LA (If Byfield and Turcotte both match their pedigree, then I'd put them above us, but as it stands they're both eh, and they don't have a goalie near Wolf's caliber). Anaheim and Krakens for sure have better prospects than us and maybe the Sharks as well (But even then idk I feel Sharks will only have a better prospect after this draft, currently their best is Eklund and he's not anything too out of the ordinary).

LOL

super6646

Apr 16, 2018
Calgary
Sorry but it is you who has no idea and can't let their Flames bias cloud what is reality.

Wolf is not close to being an elite prospect. That doesn't mean he sucks but there are few elite prospects out there and Wolf certainly isn't one.

Debrincat and Cammalieri were great players, there are few prospects in the NHL that will likely match their production to pretend that Coronato is that guy based on nothing is silly. He had a fine career in the NCAA, nothing great, nothing bad, meh WJHC. There is nothing in his game since he has been drafted that indicates he will be close to the other two players. Another case of badly overrating a prospect because he is with the Flames. That is a truly clueless statement.

Ruzicka is 23 years old and already with the the Flames it is stretch to claim he is a prospect. The other guys listed every team has guys like that in their pool. They are no better than what every team in the NHL and as I said unlikely to have an impact on the Flames outside of a few games here and there to see if they have anything.

Why would I talk about Holloway or Broberg? I don't think they are any thing great either. Such a pathetic move to try and say anyone who is realistic about the Flames and doesn't badly overrate them must be an Oiler fan. If that is how thin your skin you are going to have a massive issue when none of the hero's you labelled as great turn out.

LOL

To be fair man, you negativity about everything is really stretching it, and I think everyone here would agree I’m one of the most pessimistic flames fans here so I think it says something when I feel someone is being too negative. Adam ruzicka for example has blown expectations out of the water, and all you are doing is finding ways to discredit his play.

All fans “overrate” their prospects btw, it’s just going to happen. Doesn’t mean it’s delusional or whatnot, because frankly things are a crapshoot and there are lots of variables that can shift trajectories in a player’s development. As of the rate now however, we do have some good prospects coming up. Nothing delusional in that.

Reactions: Nanuuk

joescores

Mar 21, 2011

LOL
You are not allowed to use the word "Ruzicka". You know this right?

Mazatt

Apr 30, 2019
Debrincat and Cammalieri were great players, there are few prospects in the NHL that will likely match their production to pretend that Coronato is that guy based on nothing is silly. He had a fine career in the NCAA, nothing great, nothing bad, meh WJHC. There is nothing in his game since he has been drafted that indicates he will be close to the other two players. Another case of badly overrating a prospect because he is with the Flames.
NCAA goal production on the level of Caufield = nothing, adds up. 3 goals under goal per game in his draft year, 7 points in 5 games in WJC, now once again over ppg in the NCAA playing unnaturally as the teams #1 centre vs. rw. Yeah, nothing about that suggests a good prospect

MM917

Aug 18, 2022
To be fair man, you negativity about everything is really stretching it, and I think everyone here would agree I’m one of the most pessimistic flames fans here so I think it says something when I feel someone is being too negative. Adam ruzicka for example has blown expectations out of the water, and all you are doing is finding ways to discredit his play.

All fans “overrate” their prospects btw, it’s just going to happen. Doesn’t mean it’s delusional or whatnot, because frankly things are a crapshoot and there are lots of variables that can shift trajectories in a player’s development. As of the rate now however, we do have some good prospects coming up. Nothing delusional in that.

I don't think pointing out realities is negative at all but maybe this board is just for homer takes.

I am not discrediting what Rzicka has done just pointing out that he has never shown great offensive talent and in a small sample size it is unlikely he maintains it because it is unlikely players gain that level of talent at 23, but maybe he is the rare exception. Doesn't mean he is crap but thinking he is close to a PPG player going forward is likely doing nothing but setting fans up for disappointment.

NCAA goal production on the level of Caufield = nothing, adds up. 3 goals under goal per game in his draft year, 7 points in 5 games in WJC, now once again over ppg in the NCAA playing unnaturally as the teams #1 centre vs. rw. Yeah, nothing about that suggests a good prospect

None of that make him anything more than a run of the mill first round pick. It certainly isn't something to put him above other players on other teams drafted in similar spots and nowhere close to being the next Debrincat/Cammalieri who are 60+ point guys in the NHL.

I would say most, if not all, non-biased people would be surprised if Coronato turns out to be that level of player.

Yepthatsme

Oct 25, 2020
I don't think pointing out realities is negative at all but maybe this board is just for homer takes.

I am not discrediting what Rzicka has done just pointing out that he has never shown great offensive talent and in a small sample size it is unlikely he maintains it because it is unlikely players gain that level of talent at 23, but maybe he is the rare exception. Doesn't mean he is crap but thinking he is close to a PPG player going forward is likely doing nothing but setting fans up for disappointment.

None of that make him anything more than a run of the mill first round pick. It certainly isn't something to put him above other players on other teams drafted in similar spots and nowhere close to being the next Debrincat/Cammalieri who are 60+ point guys in the NHL.

I would say most, if not all, non-biased people would be surprised if Coronato turns out to be that level of player.
This sounds more like dismissing reality than being realistic? Ruzicka has shown massive flashes of offensive talent and it’s been his consistency that’s been called in to question. He began 2020/21 with 12 points in 4 games, and 2021/22 (going off memory here) he began with 16 points in 12 games before his call up to the Flames. Offense has always been there, consistency hasn’t but that’s A LOT more of an aquirable talent than offensive instincts, especially under a coach like Sutter. Not claiming he is PPG player, but an offensively talented second liner isn’t crazy results for him.

Matt Coronato in his draft year put up 48 goals. That accomplishment has been beat once in the USHL since 2002, draft eligible or not. Last season he had almost an identical freshman year to Caufield, and was the best player on his WJC team. This year, he has the 7th best point per game in the entire NCAA while adjusting to centre. This isn’t a player every team has in their organization, and he definitely has the ceiling of a very good NHL goal scorer (30+).

Honest question, what does it take for you to consider a prospect more than run of the mill? Ruzicka only ever showed flashes in pro hockey, but Coronato has shown nothing but exceptional results with very high caliber comparables.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad