Speculation: Flames are interested in Kyle Palmieri, Oilers looking at Brady Skjei, Andreas Johnsson, Darcy Kue

Number1RedWingsFan52

Mar 17, 2013
Winter Haven Florida
It was already reported at the Trade Deadline that all Canadian teams were on Kyle Palmieri's no trade list, Reportedly he doesn't want to play in Canada. A good old American kid that wants to stay in the States.

BobClarkesfrontteeth

Feb 6, 2020
Parts unknown
I can't see Skjei getting moved already from Carolina considering they just acquired him. But I can see why Edmonton would be asking with Klefbom probably done for next season.

I would really laugh if Johnsson goes for the same return as Kapanen while AA and Virtanen don't get qualified. Cost certainty for the next 2 to 3 years is going to carry a high value if that does happen.

GOilers88

#DustersWinCups
Dec 24, 2016
I could see a Johnsson and Larsson swap after Free Agency if the the leafs cant land a d
With Klef possibly out all year it really doesn't make any sense for the Oilers to swap Larsson (or any of their top 4 defensemen) for a winger.

Edit: Assuming of course Edmonton hasn't found two more top 4 guys in free agency, but I think it's safe to say they won't.

Chan790

Sponsor
Jan 24, 2012
Bingy town, NY
I can't see Skjei getting moved already from Carolina considering they just acquired him. But I can see why Edmonton would be asking with Klefbom probably done for next season.

Carolina has an amazing glut of NHL LHD. Slavin, Skjei, Gardiner, Fleury, and Bean is overripe for the AHL.

Skjei was acquired at a moment of need, the Canes liked the price (essentially arbitrage: buying underpriced assets to sell at a premium), Fleury exceeded expectations and outplayed Skjei. We're going to lose a LHD to Seattle...it makes sense to make moves from our excess to fill needs now. All reasons to make a move.

Skjei is just the desirable piece to move (cap space) while also being good enough to return what the Canes need.

BobClarkesfrontteeth

Feb 6, 2020
Parts unknown
Carolina has an amazing glut of NHL LHD. Slavin, Skjei, Gardiner, Fleury, and Bean is overripe for the AHL.

Skjei was acquired at a moment of need, the Canes liked the price (essentially arbitrage: buying underpriced assets to sell at a premium), Fleury exceeded expectations and outplayed Skjei. We're going to lose a LHD to Seattle...it makes sense to make moves from our excess to fill needs now. All reasons to make a move.

Skjei is just the desirable piece to move (cap space) while also being good enough to return what the Canes need.

I am not sure you are getting more than what was moved out for him. a first round pick. I don't see Edmonton having NHL pieces that really fit with Carolina and they have very limited futures that can move.

As for Fleury was he not being used on the right side and played really well there? Carolina definitely will have a need for a top 4 RHD with Hamilton hitting UFA.

As for ED you go 4x4 and expose Gardiner. Unless Bean is not ED exempt. Then you do have a protection issue.

Coachcorner

Senor Martinez
Sep 28, 2017
Johnsson is better than most make him out to be around here. Would be a solid addition for the Oilers. Isn’t great at anything but good all around player. No glaring weakness. Good shot, he’s a pest and a good skater.
Johnsson.... a pest :biglaugh:

Where? In his home behind closed doors? You seen him play sire? No? He ain't a pest I can assure you that. He is not a very physical player neither, not like he should be. I wouldn't want him on my team, especially if there's enough skill already and even some scoring power. Useless player indeed then. Be very aware. :alarm:

Boom Boom Apathy

I am the Professor. Deal with it!
Sep 6, 2006
I am not sure you are getting more than what was moved out for him. a first round pick. I don't see Edmonton having NHL pieces that really fit with Carolina and they have very limited futures that can move.

As for Fleury was he not being used on the right side and played really well there? Carolina definitely will have a need for a top 4 RHD with Hamilton hitting UFA.

As for ED you go 4x4 and expose Gardiner. Unless Bean is not ED exempt. Then you do have a protection issue.

bean is not exempt

Boom Boom Apathy

I am the Professor. Deal with it!
Sep 6, 2006
So that's the rub then. you have to move one of Bean, Skeji or Fleury.
Not really. Canes are going to lose a good player in the expansion draft regardless. If you move one now, you still lose another in the expansion draft so you lose 2.

Protect: Staal, Aho, Teravainen, Svechnikov, Trocheck and probably Foegele and Geekie at F.

Slavin, Pesce, Hamilton (if re-signed). If Hamilton isn’t re-signed, one of Skjei, Fleury or Bean.

even if you move one of the D, you still have to expose 1 or 2.

BobClarkesfrontteeth

Feb 6, 2020
Parts unknown
Not really. Canes are going to lose a good player in the expansion draft regardless. If you move one now, you still lose another in the expansion draft so you lose 2.

Protect: Staal, Aho, Teravainen, Svechnikov, Trocheck and probably Foegele and Geekie at F.

Slavin, Pesce, Hamilton (if re-signed). If Hamilton isn’t re-signed, one of Skjei, Fleury or Bean.

even if you move one of the D, you still have to expose 1 or 2.

So even less of a reason to trade Skjei unless Edmonton has a piece you really want.

Man Bear Pig

Aug 10, 2008
Earth
Johnsson.... a pest :biglaugh:

Where? In his home behind closed doors? You seen him play sire? No? He ain't a pest I can assure you that. He is not a very physical player neither, not like he should be. I wouldn't want him on my team, especially if there's enough skill already and even some scoring power. Useless player indeed then. Be very aware. :alarm:
Johnsson plays with an edge to his game. What have you been watching? The problem for him is hes really small so you arent going to see him crushing people. Hes definitely a guy who outworks players. You dont make the NHL as a small 7th round pick if you lack effort.

Reactions: qqaz

Coachcorner

Senor Martinez
Sep 28, 2017
Johnsson plays with an edge to his game. What have you been watching? The problem for him is hes really small so you arent going to see him crushing people. Hes definitely a guy who outworks players. You dont make the NHL as a small 7th round pick if you lack effort.
Aaaah mayne. It ain't like that nah sire. Naaah. Johnsson ain't playing the game with the real edge at all. He a pretender. That's the worst ice hockey player can have like my coach said back in the day. He has soft games often. I ain't having that in my team no no no. No nono like sir ben kingsley says in the sexy beast. You gotta look up on that film sire. Johnsson for the leafs.... we ain't needing him no more. no no no. Not at all. There are so many nhl players with more "edge" than this fool for the game. He a pretender like that artist. He ain't no good. and like I said before, he definitely ain't no PEST. like for that, I'm laughing out loud for certainly out here.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad