Confirmed with Link: Flames acquire Corban Knight

InfinityIggy

Zagidulin's Dad
Jan 30, 2011
Yup. I firmly believe that this changes nothing. We still need to draft the best player available.

I do believe however, we should try to get into the top 3 if it doesn't cost too much. There's definitely a tier of talent that drops off after the 3rd overall.

Ive said it since the lottery but if Tampa wants Nichuskin I think there is a chance they would be willing to trade down from 3rd and we can take Barkov at 3, or even Drouin would prefer a Center though.

Anglesmith

Setting up the play?
Sep 17, 2012
Victoria
Ive said it since the lottery but if Tampa wants Nichuskin I think there is a chance they would be willing to trade down from 3rd and we can take Barkov at 3, or even Drouin would prefer a Center though.

If we can get to 3rd, there's an outside chance that MacKinnon could be ours. One of the main reasons Corban didn't want to be a Panther has to have been their centre depth, with Bjugstad, Shore and Matthias. Drouin might be a better fit for them. If we can get to third, maybe a small incentive would be enough to trade from 3 to 2 (if Florida feels that there is a talent disparity between Drouin and Mac which is too large to ignore).

Calculon

unholy acting talent
Jan 20, 2006
Error 503
Most of our pool is from '10-'12, and many are going to start competing for NHL spots next year, even HF has us Top 20 already, just from our prospects getting closer to being NHL ready.

You are underestimating the value of adding 3 1st round picks from a deep draft.

Two late first round picks is highly unlikely to solve the issue of high end prospect depth in the short term, if ever.

But a lot will depend on who the Flames draft with those late firsts. And signing Knight does give them a lot more flexibility, not only in the draft, but also in the trade market.

Ace Rimmer

Stoke me a clipper.
Yup. I firmly believe that this changes nothing. We still need to draft the best player available.

I do believe however, we should try to get into the top 3 if it doesn't cost too much. There's definitely a tier of talent that drops off after the 3rd overall.

I disagree - it changes things in the sense that the Flames got "a safe guy" and can now swing for the fences and take chances with high risk high reward players.

Doesn't change the pick at #6 in that sense, but at 22/28 and beyond it does.

Beats By CoRD

Tommy Fresh
Jul 12, 2009
In The Studio
www.myflashstore.net
Two late first round picks is highly unlikely to solve the issue of high end prospect depth in the short term, if ever.

But a lot will depend on who the Flames draft with those late firsts. And signing Knight does give them a lot more flexibility, not only in the draft, but also in the trade market.

We just got to pray this draft is like the 2003 draft. The thought of getting a Mike Richards, Kesler, or Perry type player with either of those picks makes me salivate.

CanadianPantherFan

Cats are Here!
Jun 6, 2004
Calgary
If we can get to 3rd, there's an outside chance that MacKinnon could be ours. One of the main reasons Corban didn't want to be a Panther has to have been their centre depth, with Bjugstad, Shore and Matthias. Drouin might be a better fit for them. If we can get to third, maybe a small incentive would be enough to trade from 3 to 2 (if Florida feels that there is a talent disparity between Drouin and Mac which is too large to ignore).

It's MacKinnon or bust for Panthers. The one thing Panthers need is a 1C...those others guys fit perfect AROUND Nate, not without him.

TylerSVT*

Unless Feaster drafts Blunkowski, Merowski, and Danatowski this draft, we should have a Top 10 pool in the league going into next season.

Top 10?

Doubt that very much, we are still void of top end talent outside of Sven (and even he isnt a lock to be a top 3 player).

Top 20 yes, Top 10... no way.

Trae

Calgary
Top 10?

Doubt that very much, we are still void of top end talent outside of Sven (and even he isnt a lock to be a top 3 player).

Top 20 yes, Top 10... no way.

He's talking about post-draft, I think we're in a position to be top 15

Anglesmith

Setting up the play?
Sep 17, 2012
Victoria
The first player in a while to not take his talents to south beach.

I have also been trying to think of a way to work that in here somehow.:laugh:

I almost posted the other day that it would be a shame if MacKinnon has to take his talents to South Beach... good Canadian kid like that.

HighLifeMan

#SnowyStrong
Feb 26, 2009
Very excited about this acquisition.
Good on Feaster for actively pursuing this player, and eventually getting a deal and contract negotiated.

Let's hope he becomes a solid contributor for this club moving forward.

TheHudlinator

Nov 21, 2011
Victoria,BC

TychoFan

Feb 24, 2013
Canada
Everyone seems awfully happy about this trade. I sure hope he is able to help our club. How do you guys think he ranks among our centers?

MuffinMerc

Come watch TV
Jan 23, 2013
:laugh: No kidding but we will lose Brodie from our rankings. Seriously if we take Monahan/Lindholm that alone moves us to 15th add 2 more 1sts and 7 more picks and top 10 isn't out of the question.

And then the question becomes "Can the organization properly develop more prospects than before?"

TheHudlinator

Nov 21, 2011
Victoria,BC
Everyone seems awfully happy about this trade. I sure hope he is able to help our club. How do you guys think he ranks among our centers?

In terms of potential I would say

Janko
Backlund (I know not a prospect but still young)
Reinhart
Granlund
Knight
Arnold

In terms of readyness I would say

Backlund
Reinhart/Knight
Arnold
Granlund
Janko

Bobs your uncle

Sep 18, 2003
Canada
Good deal for the Flames as he will help their dreadful weakness down the middle. Getting him for a fourth round pick seems very reasonable. Very similar circumstances as Calgary's loss of Erixon to the Rangers.

FLAMES666

Jan 30, 2009
Calgary
In terms of potential I would say

Janko
Backlund (I know not a prospect but still young)
Reinhart
Granlund
Knight
Arnold

In terms of readyness I would say

Backlund
Reinhart/Knight
Arnold
Granlund
Janko

As good as Reinhart was I would say Knight is ahead of him. In Readiness

The Gnome

May 17, 2010
Calgary
I've been keeping an eye on knight. Always liked him. Worst case he's jarret stoll like. Best case he becomes something in the mould of kesler.

Kids solid physically, wins FOs, and can chip in a few goals. Exactly what this team needs. Would love to see the flames fix the 1C issue this draft. Backlund/knight really make our mid six centre depth strong moving forward.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad