Rumor: Flames a front-runner for college UFA Kyle Baun

sureloss

Jan 5, 2006

http://lastwordonsports.com/2015/03/13/2015-college-hockey-free-agents-part-1/
Kyle Baun, Right Wing, Colgate Red Raiders, Junior (6’2″ 209 lbs)

The Grandson of NHL legend Bobby Baun, the 22-year-old has good size. Baun has 13 goals and 28 points in 34 games this season. Baun looks like a power forward, with good speed, the balance and power to fight through checks, and the puck handling to protect the puck in the cycle game and drive the net. Baun has a decent shot, and good hands in close. He wins board battles and does a good job establishing position in front of the net. Baun also has some decent vision and passing skills which really help in the cycle game.

http://www.hockeysfuture.com/articl...-that-could-soon-land-in-the-nhl/#more-120203

Kyle Baun, RW
Junior, Colgate University (ECAC)

Colgate junior Kyle Baun began attracting the attention of NHL scouts following an excellent sophomore campaign. While he is one of the lesser-known available collegiate free agents on this year’s list, he has garnered considerable interest from NHL teams. Among them are the Boston Bruins and the Detroit Red Wings, whose prospect camps he attended this past summer.

The Toronto, ON native plays the right side on one of the ECAC’s most exciting top lines alongside the Spink twins. Baun currently ranks second on the Raiders squad with 28 points (13 goals, 15 assists) in 34 games. His 15 assists and four power play goals co-lead the team. Baun leads Colgate with a +13 rating and 60 penalty minutes.

Baun, the grandson of legendary NHL defenseman Bobby Baun, is a 6’2†and 210-pound power forward who has excelled on the Raiders’ special teams this season. One of Baun’s attributes that scouts have taken particular notice of is how he utilizes his size and strength. He’s a player that is difficult to move off of the puck, and he uses the aforementioned assets exceedingly well in gaining separation and in battles for loose pucks. Baun is an excellent skater with terrific speed. He has developed into a reliable scorer who can chip in goals at crucial times and can wreak havoc in front of opposing goaltenders. He also does an equally good job of setting up plays.

Lunatik

Oct 12, 2012
I wonder if Harrison could help us out here, he is the only drafted player on the Colgate Raiders, so if he has said good things about the organization it could really look good for us.

tyflames

Jul 4, 2010
Really hope this works out but isn't this a similar type of player to Ben Hanowski? Bigish right winger with similar stats to what Hanowski put up. I'm sure they don't play the same way but you never know with college players that don't put up outstanding points in the NCAA at 22 years old. We have 2 rather similar (stats wise) college hockey players that are now in our minor system with likely no near future in the nhl in Agostino and Hanowski.
Not saying I'm against it that's for sure, just don't know if I buy the hype.
Anyway, a free prospect is always good.

sureloss

Jan 5, 2006
Really hope this works out but isn't this a similar type of player to Ben Hanowski? Bigish right winger with similar stats to what Hanowski put up. I'm sure they don't play the same way but you never know with college players that don't put up outstanding points in the NCAA at 22 years old. We have 2 rather similar (stats wise) college hockey players that are now in our minor system with likely no near future in the nhl in Agostino and Hanowski.
Not saying I'm against it that's for sure, just don't know if I buy the hype.
Anyway, a free prospect is always good.

One big difference in those reports is that Baun is a good skater, something Hanowski is not.

tyflames

Jul 4, 2010
One big difference in those reports is that Baun is a good skater, something Hanowski is not.
I noticed that. But based of strictly stats alone, as I haven't seen either play, Hanowski was a more prolific goal scorer in NCAA at least in his junior year.

Skobel24

#Ignited
May 23, 2008
Winnipeg
I noticed that. But based of strictly stats alone, as I haven't seen either play, Hanowski was a more prolific goal scorer in NCAA at least in his junior year.

Even if he winds up being similar to Hanowski, it's not a bad thing. Bit more depth for Abbotsford Adirondack Wherever the **** our AHL team is going. Hanowski, honestly, could be a 4th line guy right now.

tfong

HFBoards Sponsor
Sponsor
Sep 29, 2008
www.instagram.com
As long as Edm doesn't get him so I can lawl that even the college guys don't want anything to do with that organization.

Johnny Hoxville

The Return of a Legend
Jul 15, 2006
Calgary
Never heard of him either as I've never watched Harrison play a game. Only positives if we sign him though. His style suits our game, his position fills a need. There's no guarantee he turns into anything, but he could become a Jooris of us, so you gotta like that. If anything, he gives us some good depth in Stockton, but our guys obviously like him if they're going hard after him so maybe he does have upside.

Ad

Upcoming events

• Inter Milan vs Torino
    Inter Milan vs Torino
    Wagers: 5
    Staked: $2,752.00
    Event closes
    • Updated:
  • Metz vs Lille
    Metz vs Lille
    Wagers: 3
    Staked: $354.00