GDT: FLAMES (38-16-8) vs. SHARKS (27-27-8) 7 p.m. MT | TV: Sportsnet One | RADIO: Sportsnet 960 | Season Series 0-2-0

JurassicTunga

it is what it is
Mar 21, 2010
Welp... me tonight:
WZFDHNw.jpg

Dack

Jun 16, 2014
A lot of guys played really badly tonight.

Having a 4th line that does more than just cardio out there might help too. Not asking them to score regularly or anything just maybe throw a few hits and have a good possession shift once in a while. I hope sooner rather than later we can run Ruzicka in the middle and whichever of the plugs is playing the best ATM as his wings.

Reactions: Tofveve

Tofveve

Mar 10, 2013
The West
I am going to use the one time card:

Outside of 2 shitty goals we would have won. Marksy let a couple through. I can't see around that.

Reactions: cheechoo

Bounces R Way

Nov 18, 2013
Weegartown
giphy.gif

Sharks may beat us once in a row, hell even twice in a row, but NOBODY beats the 2021-22 Flames three times in a row!

Apparently they do. Just stupid mistakes from the Flames and also some poor goaltending costs them a win. Missed the first 10 minutes of this one but I thought there was a lot of slop generally. Missed passes, missed checks, bobbled pucks in the NZ. Not sure what Bob Boughner is doing exactly but the Flames had a tough time getting into the zone with control.

Good : I liked Tkachuk a lot tonight. 20th multi point game of the season for him. Andersson was our best dman. Toffoli and Mangiapane both had some good jump but seemed like everything they did got blocked.

Not Bad : Gaudreau was real decent, scored a goal and setup another. Missed the PS and then could see was second guessing a little too much. Backlund I guess scored a goal and had the puck in the right end of the rink. Gudbranson mostly solid.

Just OK : Hanifin needs to make better shooting selections, and to hit the net ffs. Lindholm decent defensively, had a tough time keeping possessions going in the OZ. Dube scored and was skating fast, really needs to settle in and take his time at points tho. Tunnel vision in a lot of instances again. Zadorov made some nice moves but bobbled so many chances.

Bad : Kylington - Tanev had a bad night, and haven't been very good for a while now. Might explore changing up the pairings next game. Coleman that giveaway just can't happen man, not from a vet. 4th line hemmed in and also took a pointless OZ penalty. Could use some fresh legs and some bench time for Lucic and Lewis at least. Did not like Jarnkrok tonight much, thought he was the weak link on his line. Markstrom even beyond those two bad goals was just jumpy and kicking out rebounds into the crease. Not a good night for him.

Just lets not make a habit of this type of game.

Last edited:

Dertell

Jul 14, 2015
just a really bad game. this team dearly misses Ruzicka's abilities to prop up the bad depth players. he's needed on that 4th line.

Bench Lewis. I don't care what his "role" is or how much Sutter fawns over him, bench him and bring someone who can keep up.

Last edited:

DFF

Feb 28, 2002
Markstrom had a bad night. He lost the game for us…no dancing around that. His first bad game in awhile so he gets a pass

Monahan and Lucic are garbage. Lewis is getting close to it. They are vets and Sutter is either afraid of them or trust them but whatever, it’s f***ing stupid. Fix that ASAP before it becomes fatal.

Other guys that didn’t play well: Kylington, Toffoli, Jarnkrok

Anglesmith

Setting up the play?
Sep 17, 2012
Victoria
Lindholm has taken a few games off here.

But ultimately the boys have very little to play for in games like these. We saw them flip the switch against Vancouver, so I'm not worried about them losing the magic all of a sudden.

Mazatt

Apr 30, 2019
Really one of those games where the Flames beat themselves. Started cheating up ice/not coming back hard with pace for outlets, and then made lazy passes on top of that for the last two. At least from a limited viewing. Other than that, two absolute muffin goals that make you go "hmm, maybe the backup should play the only game in a stretch where it's the only one in ~6 days and it's against a near-bottom feeder" but that's hindsight... as well as foresight from people who called it out from the start.

I can take losses like this, though, instead of ones where the Flames are thoroughly outclassed. At least with this it's in the frame of "Flames lost themselves the game" despite good chances and individual performances vs. "Flames just aren't good." Not really much to project forward other than an increasing propensity for the blue liners to simply give pucks away with space. Hanifin and Tanev have done it quite a bit recently, though I don't have any numbers to back it up. Feels like they are rushing to look up ice and take either a second too long and an areas covered, or throw it to an already covered man and it goes the other way. I wonder if they are fatigued and not thinking while trying to play a Sutter pace or what, but a Sutter pace means nothing if you just throw it away. Oh well.

This part of the season, I also don't mind the line blender coming out just a little bit. If we think upon the Flames earlier hot streak it was really thrown up a notch with Toffoli coming in to extend depth, and then extend the streak with goal scoring. Same idea here; Tkachuk has shown he can produce away from Gaudreau, why not see what energy that can bring to guys like Dube/Backlund when they are starting to lose some more games? Either way, no matter how the top 9 looks they need to find some combination of a 4th line that resembles any kind of energy line. Literally any group of 3 players that can grab momentum, and not throw it away at a shifts notice. At this point I'm willing to see a Lewis - Carpenter - Ritchie line just to get something different, and to see Monahan/Lucic be given a rest.

Love Andersson

Volica

Papa Shango
May 15, 2012
Not impressed at all with that showing.

First line looked poor during 5v5 play, they gave up a ton of chances. Don’t like the yo-yoing of Toffoli and Tkachuk. Just go with one.

Kylington needs a break or something; he’s looked like the guy no coach could consistently use for years, the last number of games; you can’t have such big ups and downs in the top 4. Everyone was willing to crown him our 1D at the start of the season, and the last bit he’s been literally the 6th best defenceman deployed.

Markstrom had a bad game. Which is fine, the guy’s been our second or third most valuable player most of the season.

Fourth line needs an overhaul. You just brought in Carpenter; give him a look down the middle, maybe bring in Ritchie as well for some extra juice. Lucic and Monahan are disinterested, always get more than they give… it’s at best a waste of 10 minutes a night or at worst 10 minutes a night of giving the other team chances and life.

DCDM

Da Rink Cats
Mar 24, 2008
Calgary
Monahan's toast. He's the slice that needs to be thrown away at this point.

Markstrom had a rough go on the first two goals. Whatever, not concerned about him. Our next two games are Arizona and Edmonton b2b so I suspect Vladar gets the next start.

How about some positives?

Dube looks great out there.
Tkachuk can carry his own line, I think we've established that at this point.
Andersson is a stud. Zadorov too, honestly, with the way he was dangling out there.
Can't wait to see Carpenter get into the action.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad