GDT: FLAMES (27-21-13) vs. MAPLE LEAFS (37-16-8) | 7 p.m. MT | TV: Sportsnet West | RADIO: Sportsnet 960 The FAN

Bert Mckrakken

Jul 23, 2021
Edmonton
Yeah I hope we sell tomorrow. I’m an optimistic guy but god damn. Make some magic and trade everyone for some young guys. Let em play and let sutter teach them 2 way hockey for a year and whatever’s left in this one. Then get a guy that will take the shackles off and let ‘em go a bit, but still recognize how to check and play defence.

I said it tonight that there is no one on this roster outside Pelletier if they get traded tomorrow I’d be like “damn.”

Love for the players but just not working and we need change. Good luck to everyone and if slotted properly those dudes are gonna wreck some stuff. Imagine Hanafin as a #4 or Lindholm on an actual second line.

So yeah, fire sale, let’s let the kids play and figure it out from there. Lots of these top teams would pay an absolute tonne for Lindy for 1.playoffs seasons at 50% retained. Can do that on a few guys and you’re laughing. Might shock some people what teams would pay for it.

Yepthatsme

Oct 25, 2020
Well they've lost approximately twelve hundred 1 goal games this year so phenomenal isn't how I'd put it, but point taken.

Ya like I said I don't think there's any real obvious weak links. If they sign Coronato I'm not sure where he would play.
That would be a powerplay problem, and somehow despite us having the worst record league wide in one goal games and have the worst losing percentage in them, we also are tied for the least amount of goals with the empty net. Part of that is Kirk Muller is somehow still employed by this team, and part of that is one thing Sutter hasn’t updated with the times is pulling your goalie reasonably early. This team has the least amount of luck/clutchness this year with scoring timely goals. The second problem is Zadorov needs a much better partner than Gilbert (or even Stone) to cover his defincies.

The forward lines have been rolling for a while now and the Andersson-Weegar pairing has been unreal, and Hanifin-Tanev should refind their chemistry from previous seasons. Markstrom has been hot the last game or two.

Toronto had a statement game and Woll is one of the better goalie prospects nobody talks about, Calgary’s play the last 2 games (despite two losses) has actually been super encouraging.

Bounces R Way

Nov 18, 2013
Weegartown
A few days ago I said these next 6 games were hell, and what have we done? Lose, lose, lose.
It's seriously time to sell and stock up on picks and prospects.
Lindholm, Backlund, Hanifin, Tanev, Zadorov, Toffoli. Go chase your Stanley Cup, you're not winning one here anytime soon. Can't even get into the playoffs when the West is at its worse.
Trade all 5 and that could be 5 first round picks coming back.
I'm fine with that.
Regroup in the summer with some new blood.

The more 1sts the merrier as far as I'm concerned.

Wouldn't everyone want to just watch young kids develop and not worry about the standings knowing we're on the right track in doing so? That's what I want.

Preach. This team blah blah blah goaltending Huberdeau Sutter the horoscope blah blah blah. This team just plain isn't good enough.

Badly in need of a youth wave. The good news on that is I actually like a lot of the farm system. Wolf, Coronato, Zary, Poirier, Pelts.
Even some of the long shots like MEP and Kuznetsov might be something. Somebody give Phillips a serious look FFS.

Still badly need a blue chip center and defensive prospect tho. Trade up if you can in this draft and take the most physically gifted C you can.

No, no, no. Once we stop calling them must win games, we'll win them all. It is the Flames way.

Like Pavlov's dog.
That would be a powerplay problem, and somehow despite us having the worst record league wide in one goal games and have the worst losing percentage in them, we also are tied for the least amount of goals with the empty net. Part of that is Kirk Muller is somehow still employed by this team, and part of that is one thing Sutter hasn’t updated with the times is pulling your goalie reasonably early. This team has the least amount of luck/clutchness this year with scoring timely goals. The second problem is Zadorov needs a much better partner than Gilbert (or even Stone) to cover his defincies.

The forward lines have been rolling for a while now and the Andersson-Weegar pairing has been unreal, and Hanifin-Tanev should refind their chemistry from previous seasons. Markstrom has been hot the last game or two.

Toronto had a statement game and Woll is one of the better goalie prospects nobody talks about, Calgary’s play the last 2 games (despite two losses) has actually been super encouraging.

I'm sick of promising and encouraging. I'm beyond tired of waiting for them to " figure it out ". It's not going to happen this year. The sooner fans and the franchise itself can accept that and move forward the better.

Last edited:

JPeeper

Hail Satan!
Jan 4, 2015
The west is a toilet, but there are like 5 teams in the East that are within a win away from passing us in the standings. Bedard here we come!

Sucks seeing all the teams below us (10-16) all sell assets and the teams ahead of us (1-8 all playoffs) all adding for their run. Meanwhile the Flames are doing neither, standings wise we're 5 points and then there's another gap of all the seller.

20 games to go and the standings are seemingly set, Flames haven't shown the consistency to go on a run to pass anyone in the standings. Sell what little assets we can and at least try and go for a better draft pick, yes you'll miss out on Bedard, but get a good piece and move on next year and hope we can get goaltending for more than 10 games out of a season.

Reactions: Tofveve

BobColesNasalCavity

Oct 15, 2016
West Side
This team just plainly doesn’t have enough skill. We had Monahan, Gaudreau, Tkachuk and Giordano and Brodie on the blueline who could turn some of these one goal losses into wins and points in the standings. Basically an entire roster of complimentary pieces were put together to support those guys and then we all know what happened.

Iggys Dome

Not allowed to say the “R-Word” (rebuild)
Mar 19, 2018
Cap Space
This team just plainly doesn’t have enough skill. We had Monahan, Gaudreau, Tkachuk and Giordano and Brodie on the blueline who could turn some of these one goal losses into wins and points in the standings. Basically an entire roster of complimentary pieces were put together to support those guys and then we all know what happened.
Johnny leaving was such a tectonic shift in this organizations trajectory I think it’s gonna take years to fully grasp what happened.

OvermanKingGainer

#BennettFreed #CurseofTheSpulll #FreeOliver
Feb 3, 2015
2022 Cup to Calgary
Sutter is too old to think straight, team has an abundance of talent, get rid of him

Sutter isn't really the problem. Like all coaches he has his favourites, but Treliving is the one who has the power to make the roster.

Also, not having Kylington has really f***ed up the plan this year. Any team will struggle without its best defenseman.

I Hate Blake Coleman

Bandwagon Burner
Jul 22, 2008
Saskatchewan
I think the Flames have made me apathetic to hockey in general. Watching it is not fun. I don't have anything better to do with my time but it still feels wasted watching Calgary.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad