GDT: FLAMES (19-14-7) @ BLACKHAWKS (9-25-4) | 5 p.m. MT | TV: Sportsnet West | RADIO: Sportsnet

lightstorm

Oct 17, 2016
Dont fix whats not broken amirite.

Lost to literally the worst team in the league. worse than Johnny and the Jackets, let that sink it.

Reactions: flames23

flames23

Mar 11, 2010
Burnaby
If we are a bubble team and haven't fallen completely off a cliff by April we'll need to outright beat the 9 seed as we'll be trailing by 3-4 ROWs. I just don't know if a 37-26-19 record will get us in.

herashak

Mar 24, 2013
Shots don't tell the story, this team is scoring challenged. If they don't show up through the next 6 games I don't see any need to add more than a bottom pair D to this group at the deadline

OvermanKingGainer

#BennettFreed #CurseofTheSpulll #FreeOliver
Feb 3, 2015
2022 Cup to Calgary
The worst part about this season is we don't even get to see youth.

I used to have this feeling that all our crappy seasons (2018, 2020, 2021) were hockey god punishments for how they treated Bennett who would have fit nicely centering Gaudreau, plus Kylington. Feels the same this year with Phillips. I'm not saying he's a star, but does a more obvious fit exist to complete the Huberdeau line?

Reactions: flames23

super6646

Apr 16, 2018
Calgary
The worst part about this season is we don't even get to see youth.

I used to have this feeling that all our crappy seasons (2018, 2020, 2021) were hockey god punishments for how they treated Bennett who would have fit nicely centering Gaudreau, plus Kylington. Feels the same this year with Phillips. I'm not saying he's a star, but does a more obvious fit exist to complete the Huberdeau line?
Let it go man. I feel the pain, but not a chance Sutter gives him a shot. He probably legitimately believes that his size is the be all end all to why he can't play. I hope just he makes this organization look like a bunch of ass clowns next year.

And say whatever you want about Peters/Ward/GG, but I thought they were ALL legitimately better at integrating the youth in this roster. Sutter is like a roadblock for any youth, you have to jump 10 times higher just to have a shot. Not a way of running a roster in 2023.

Last edited:

super6646

Apr 16, 2018
Calgary
Reactions: Some Other Flame

Bounces R Way

Nov 18, 2013
Weegartown
There's a lot of players on this team that could be gone tomorrow and I wouldn't care. Hanifin probably at the top of that list.
We don't have a single guy in the top 60 for scoring. Our top scorer is tied with Kevin Hayes lol. Not one guy putting up 1st line numbers.

This is a very flawed roster.

Reactions: Boomstick

super6646

Apr 16, 2018
Calgary
There's a lot of players on this team that could be gone tomorrow and I wouldn't care. Hanifin probably at the top of that list.
We don't have a single guy in the top 60 for scoring. Our top scorer is tied with Kevin Hayes lol. Not one guy putting up 1st line numbers.

This is a very flawed roster.
Nope, this is an alright roster with a coach that is a bad fit. Lindholm-Kadri-Backlund is a fine 1-2-3, and there is decent organizational depth in the AHL. The wings aren't stellar, but this team can ice a top 9 without scrubs pretty easy.

Sorry, but when your star offseason acquisition is pacing for an almost 60 pt drop off there is something to be said about his utilization. Same with giving Lucic 15 minutes a night.

Bounces R Way

Nov 18, 2013
Weegartown
Nope, this is an alright roster with a coach that is a bad fit. Lindholm-Kadri-Backlund is a fine 1-2-3, and there is decent organizational depth in the AHL.

Sorry, but when your star offseason acquisition is pacing for an almost 60 pt drop off there is something to be said about his utilization.

Lindholm isn't a 1C. Or at least not the elite one you need to win playoff series in this league. Neither is Kadri. It's an impressive collection of middle 6 players and top 4 defenseman. That's all it is.

So let me get this right. Losses to Columbus, Montreal, Chicago. Any other basement dwellers?

We still have a couple Ottawa Senators losses scheduled for this year.

super6646

Apr 16, 2018
Calgary
Lindholm isn't a 1C. Or at least not the elite one you need to win playoff series in this league. Neither is Kadri. It's an impressive collection of middle 6 players and top 4 defenseman. That's all it is.
Lindholm and Kadri aren't "middle 6" players lol. Considering Lindholm has gone from Tkachuk-Gaudreau to Dube-Tofolli as his wingers, his production has been pretty good all things considered (pacing for 74 pts). Kadri is pacing for 32 goals off the second line too. The team itself is pacing for 250 GF this season. Yes that is a far cry from the 292 they scored last season, but I'd imagine putting a top 6 winger with Kadri-Huberdeau would help too. This team is a league-average scoring group (above average at ES), which all things considered isn't all that bad. If Sutter would stop shooting himself in the foot and dig into our prospect depth and slot guys properly, this can be a top 10 group scoring wise.

The bigger issue is that our goaltending has fallen off a f***ing cliff, especially Markstrom. I'm sorry to say it, but this is a self-inflicted wound on Sutter. He wants to keep playing the goalie based off who "his guy" is, good for him. Did us wonders tonight.

Some Other Flame

Dec 4, 2010
The tale of this season is how the Oilers basically broke Darryl Sutter's brain and turned him into Gulutzan. What a godawful mistake that extension was.

But hey, at least they won the corsi battle or whatever.

Reactions: super6646

Bounces R Way

Nov 18, 2013
Weegartown
Lindholm and Kadri aren't "middle 6" players lol. Considering Lindholm has gone from Tkachuk-Gaudreau to Dube-Tofolli as his wingers, his production has been pretty good all things considered (pacing for 74 pts). Kadri is pacing for 32 goals off the second line too. The team itself is pacing for 250 GF this season. Yes that is a far cry from the 292 they scored last season, but I'd imagine putting a top 6 winger with Kadri-Huberdeau would help too. This team is a league-average scoring group (above average at ES), which all things considered isn't all that bad. If Sutter would stop shooting himself in the foot and dig into our prospect depth and slot guys properly, this can be a top 10 group scoring wise.

The bigger issue is that our goaltending has fallen off a f***ing cliff, especially Markstrom. I'm sorry to say it, but this is a self-inflicted wound on Sutter. He wants to keep playing the goalie based off who "his guy" is, good for him. Did us wonders tonight.

74pts ain't shit anymore. Nugent-Hopkins is pacing for 96. Horvat for 92. They ain't 1st liners either.

Vladar should have started this game yes, I'll agree with you there. But Lucic was one of our better skaters today. That simply can't happen in the year 2023 and suggests the lineup just isn't very good.

super6646

Apr 16, 2018
Calgary
74pts ain't shit anymore. Nugent-Hopkins is pacing for 96. Horvat for 92. They ain't 1st liners either.

Vladar should have started this game yes, I'll agree with you there. But Lucic was one of our better skaters today. That simply can't happen in the year 2023 and suggests the lineup just isn't very good.
No, it suggests that scrubs can look good in small sample sizes. Milan Lucic went a calender year with 3 goals, sometimes things regress to the mean a bit.

74 pts is still a solid amount and first-line production, this isn't 1984 lol. RNH and Horvat are having the season's of their lives, so what of it? The scoring hasn't been that great for the team, but its not like they are bottom tier either. If Markstrom is a 910-920 goalie and or Sutter would get his head out of his ass this team is in a far better position it is in now/

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad