GDT: Flambes vs the, uh, Reds! Its uh, in Calgary, at 7 on today.

Aug 21, 2014
Stop quoting that, my god.

Makes me sick.

vCXWH.gif

Flames Fanatic

Mediocre
Aug 14, 2008
Cochrane
Evertime I have turned to the Canuck game the Canucks score. :rant:

Oh come on Philly!!!!! down 3-1

That's it. Time to retire for the night.

What the ****! I stopped to catch up in the thread on the last three pages! It was 1-1!

Also I had more posts than Stewie tonight. Thats a first (and probably last :sarcasm:)

This night is turning out plain bad. Thank goodness Red Racer ISA never is!

Tofveve

Mar 10, 2013
The West
Just finished watching the PVR of the game. Flames looked like boys amongst men.

But in fairness, a penalty and then a couple extended shifts with broken sticks kept the Flames out of sync until Blues finally scored. Still the flames were just never in it.

Tofveve

Mar 10, 2013
The West
Also, it somehow sticks in my craw that Steinburg said the Flames were virtually a lock when they were up 1 point on Winnipeg 2 losses ago. Like how stupid and/or naive can you be. We all know Flames could go on a 5 game losing stretch in the push to the end. Everyone is winning game-busters, what's to say we're a lock? Sometimes The Fan radio pisses me off with Calgary's apparant desperation for a contending team. Seriously, settle down with the rabid appetite to be legit. Of course I want it just like anyone, but goodness sake, keep the commentary sensible - especially when its your job. Somehow Pat seems like a noob even after a half dozen years or whatever it is.

OvermanKingGainer

#BennettFreed #CurseofTheSpulll #FreeOliver
Feb 3, 2015
2022 Cup to Calgary
We all know Flames could go on a 5 game losing stretch in the push to the end. Everyone is winning game-busters, what's to say we're a lock? .

.........Just remember, while missing the playoffs wouldn't be the funnest way to finish the season, it's not bad. It gives us a better shot at guys like Timo Meier, Zach Werensky, Jeremy Roy, Rantanen, Chabot, Kylington, White, Carlo, or whoever else our fantastic drafting team likes.

There isn't an onus on this team to make the playoffs or bust. Without Giordano they're playing with house money and whatever happens is a win.

Unlike Winnipeg or Minnesota or LA or Colorado or Dallas, they're still missing a lot of the pieces needed to vy for a playoff spot. The pieces they have have been good enough to take the team on this run, but it's safe to say we're better off with:

- A goaltender that can post a .920+ for the season
- A big, hard-shot RHD
- A big RW that can puckhandle
- The fantastic prospects already in the system and already NHL-calibur who inexplicably aren't playing when they're better than the vets who are.

The key, if you wanna call it that, is to remember this: Slowly, the younger players will make a strong case to lose the vets. The vets are, while not terrible players, are still what's clearly holding the team back. Raymond looks lost out there, Bollig is pretty useless, Stajan's lost a step, Jones can't handle the puck, and Engelland is a mess. Simply replacing these guys with better players we already have at their positions will go a long ways - addition by subtraction.

Tofveve

Mar 10, 2013
The West

.........Just remember, while missing the playoffs wouldn't be the funnest way to finish the season, it's not bad. It gives us a better shot at guys like Timo Meier, Zach Werensky, Jeremy Roy, Rantanen, Chabot, Kylington, White, Carlo, or whoever else our fantastic drafting team likes.

There isn't an onus on this team to make the playoffs or bust. Without Giordano they're playing with house money and whatever happens is a win.

Unlike Winnipeg or Minnesota or LA or Colorado or Dallas, they're still missing a lot of the pieces needed to vy for a playoff spot. The pieces they have have been good enough to take the team on this run, but it's safe to say we're better off with:

- A goaltender that can post a .920+ for the season
- A big, hard-shot RHD
- A big RW that can puckhandle
- The fantastic prospects already in the system and already NHL-calibur who inexplicably aren't playing when they're better than the vets who are.

The key, if you wanna call it that, is to remember this: Slowly, the younger players will make a strong case to lose the vets. The vets are, while not terrible players, are still what's clearly holding the team back. Raymond looks lost out there, Bollig is pretty useless, Stajan's lost a step, Jones can't handle the puck, and Engelland is a mess. Simply replacing these guys with better players we already have at their positions will go a long ways - addition by subtraction.

Good post.

I like Stajan as a 4th centre. He'so been pretty clutch recently. Let him finish his career here.

Regarding Gio. I'd say get futures for him while he still has cache. The org has to stop holding onto components that will diminish in value. He could command a big return and the reality is we're still in early rebuild mode. Hang onto Hudler for whatever he has left on his contract and then give him a reasonable offer. Maybe, like Tanguay back when, he wants to stay at decent value. Like you said, there are guys already in the system who will likely come in and potential in the draft. It sucks missing the playoffs for what feels like forever, but we don't want to be the oilers either - basically ensure we do this right. Then cross our fingers we're the Detroit Red Wings who threaten in rebuild or not.

Wheels of Poirier

Flames in 2016
Mar 21, 2014
Good post.

I like Stajan as a 4th centre. He'so been pretty clutch recently. Let him finish his career here.

Regarding Gio. I'd say get futures for him while he still has cache. The org has to stop holding onto components that will diminish in value. He could command a big return and the reality is we're still in early rebuild mode. Hang onto Hudler for whatever he has left on his contract and then give him a reasonable offer. Maybe, like Tanguay back when, he wants to stay at decent value. Like you said, there are guys already in the system who will likely come in and potential in the draft. It sucks missing the playoffs for what feels like forever, but we don't want to be the oilers either - basically ensure we do this right. Then cross our fingers we're the Detroit Red Wings who threaten in rebuild or not.

Have to disagree here. I know Gio's already in his prime, and has about 3 or so peak years left, but I just can't see this team winning without him as our captain. He is the epitome of what the new culture has been built upon, and I can think of way more reasons to keep him than not, regardless of what kind of massive haul he'd return. He'll already go down in team history as one of our best captains, but I feel he is the special kind of player that will lead the Flames to the promised land. You just don't trade a perennial Norris candidate for futures when the team is actually closer to winning that you might think. We're set down the middle, have some incredible heart and talent on the wings, and roughly half an excellent d-corps; imo, we are really only one stud dman away from seriously contending, especially in a year or two when guys like Klimmer and Smith come into the fold. Just as an example:

Gaudreau - Monahan - Hudler ("A")
Klimchuk - Bennett - Poirier
Bouma - Backlund - Colborne
Jooris - Stajan ("A") - Smith

Gio ("C") - Brodie
Russel - Wideman
Kanzig - (Wotherspoon?)

That is a team to be afraid of, in more ways than one; as relatively young as that lineup might seem, in two years time, guys like Backlund, Brodie, Johnny, Monny, Bouma, Colborne, and Jooris will already have a relative wealth of experience behind them, and our "vets" (Gio, Hudler, Stajan and Wideman) will still all only be 33. I think the Hawks are a decent model of a young team achieving success, and that's pretty close to what I see for us in a few short years. Wotherspoon will be 24 and either ready to step in or he'll be shipped off, but Kanzig is flat out going to destroy. This guy is going to be everything we wish we were paying Engelland to be lol I can't believe the strides he's taken.. his numbers are incredible this year, and if I'm not mistaken he's even leading the dub in PIM's right now. To get back to my original point, don't send off Gio, Hudler, Backlund, or even Wideman just yet; these guys are going to be playing some of the best hockey of their respective careers over the next season or two and imo we are only one stud dman away from putting it all together.

CraigsList

In Conroy We Trust
Apr 22, 2014
USA
That game was pretty frustrating... It's not that we played bad, the Blues are just that good. I have them going far in the playoffs this year (for once). Hopefully it isn't another 1st round exit for them.

Anglesmith

Setting up the play?
Sep 17, 2012
Victoria
That game was pretty frustrating... It's not that we played bad, the Blues are just that good. I have them going far in the playoffs this year (for once). Hopefully it isn't another 1st round exit for them.

Yeah, it bugs me how many times they lose to our competitors, though. :cry:

They look like Cup contenders against us, but they don't always look that good.

CraigsList

In Conroy We Trust
Apr 22, 2014
USA
Yeah, it bugs me how many times they lose to our competitors, though. :cry:

They look like Cup contenders against us, but they don't always look that good.

Yeah, this game was a tough one to swallow since we lost to the Avs on Saturday.

I'm heading up to Calgary for the next 3 games, so hopefully the Flames know of my presence :sarcasm:.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad