Claimed off Waivers: [FLA] Panthers claim D Josh Mahura off waivers from the Ducks

kerrabria

May 3, 2018
Should we have any hopes for this guy? I have zero expectations based on his stats.
Don't understand for the life of me why Zito claimed him and tried getting rid of Carlsson, but Zito also acquired Hagg to ensure Carlsson never saw playoff ice.

Florida also now has 12 LHD on NHL contracts, only one of which can play above 6D caliber.

MMC

Global Moderator
May 11, 2014
Orange County, CA
Should we have any hopes for this guy? I have zero expectations based on his stats.
Don't understand for the life of me why Zito claimed him and tried getting rid of Carlsson, but Zito also acquired Hagg to ensure Carlsson never saw playoff ice.

Florida also now has 12 LHD on NHL contracts, only one of which can play above 6D caliber.
No you shouldn't, he just isn't an NHL quality player unfortunately.

Reactions: kerrabria

GreatBear

Feb 18, 2009
Newport Beach

He is sort of okay on offense, but can't play defense. That is not a good mix for a defenseman. I would probably call him an AHL defenseman who can be called up in a pinch.

Duck Off

HF needs an App
Oct 25, 2002
Oklahoma

Eh, not a ton, but some I guess. I think he could do okay if he plays a very sheltered role with a very stable D partner. We've never been able to provide that to him. Honestly, I'm a little surprised we waived him over White.

mightyquack

eggplant and jade or bust
Apr 28, 2010
Shocked he was claimed, especially by a team with contending aspirations. One of the worst defencemen I've seen for Anaheim in his own zone, and mediocre offensive ability.

Good luck to him though, couldn't ask to be put into a better situation to maybe have a chance to forge an NHL career given where Florida are versus Anaheim.

biturbo19

Jul 13, 2010

How are they gonna do it? By VOLUME!!!!!

Reactions: Pepe Cahones

bsu

"I have no idea what I am doing" -Pat VerBleak
Sep 27, 2017
He will get knocked over with a gust of wind into the arena. He has some offensive ability and can show patience with the puck but yeah he's horrible defensively, soft and weak on his skates. He tries his best to be physical at times but at his stature it usually doesn't work out for him.

Last edited:

HanSolo

DJ Crazy Times
Apr 7, 2008
Las Vegas
Yeah this claim is wild to me considering the team. Maybe the change in scenery will do him some good but Mahura's development has been in total stasis. When he was first coming up to the Ducks it looked like he had some potential but he hasn't shown any meaningful progression.

scoutclout

Sep 12, 2022
Yeah this claim is wild to me considering the team. Maybe the change in scenery will do him some good but Mahura's development has been in total stasis. When he was first coming up to the Ducks it looked like he had some potential but he hasn't shown any meaningful progression.
This team is severely lacking in bottom 6 dmen and worse yet they need them on really inexpensive contracts. Del Zotto was waived and Carlsson sucks. We'll see who gets cut here but it was looking like a bottom 6 of Kiersted and Gildon so adding a guy with a little more experience probably isn't that bad.

HanSolo

DJ Crazy Times
Apr 7, 2008
Las Vegas
This team is severely lacking in bottom 6 dmen and worse yet they need them on really inexpensive contracts. Del Zotto was waived and Carlsson sucks. We'll see who gets cut here but it was looking like a bottom 6 of Kiersted and Gildon so adding a guy with a little more experience probably isn't that bad.
Guys I haven't been playing much attention to the state of the Panthers roster

StreetHawk

Sep 30, 2017
Guys I haven't been playing much attention to the state of the Panthers roster
Very top heavy. Barkov at $10, Matt T. at $9.5, Bob at $10, and Ekblad at $7.5. Total for these 4 players is $37 million of the $82.5 mill cap max. $45.5 mill left for the remainder of the roster.

Add in Reinhart at $6.5, Hornqvist at $5.3, Bennett & Carter V. combined for $8.5, that's another $20.3 mill. Add to the top 4, it's $57.3 mill. $25.2 mill left for upwards of 15 players to make a 23 man roster. Their A club is up in Charlotte, so not next door to paper guys down to the A.

That's why they need cheap depth.

Reactions: harv33173

violaswallet

Apr 8, 2019
Very top heavy. Barkov at $10, Matt T. at $9.5, Bob at $10, and Ekblad at $7.5. Total for these 4 players is $37 million of the $82.5 mill cap max. $45.5 mill left for the remainder of the roster.

Add in Reinhart at $6.5, Hornqvist at $5.3, Bennett & Carter V. combined for $8.5, that's another $20.3 mill. Add to the top 4, it's $57.3 mill. $25.2 mill left for upwards of 15 players to make a 23 man roster. Their A club is up in Charlotte, so not next door to paper guys down to the A.

That's why they need cheap depth.
top heavy isn’t the main problem: 6.6M dollars in buyouts to Yandle and Darling are. Without that, we could have kept Marchment and added say Kulikov

quackquackquack

Oct 10, 2012
I really wanted to like Mahura but he's so frustrating (like lots of recent ducks prospects.) There will be a couple games where he'll bomb in a one-timer or wheel all the way up the ice coast to coast but other than that yuck

Reactions: Laus723

StreetHawk

Sep 30, 2017
top heavy isn’t the main problem: 6.6M dollars in buyouts to Yandle and Darling are. Without that, we could have kept Marchment and added say Kulikov
Given the asset cost to mo
everyone who rejoiced about buying out Yandle…
This cap hell and humorous lineup is your prize.
given the price tag of cap dumps would have cost Fla the best remaining draft picks.

Reactions: GirardSpinorama

Dr Beinfest

Jun 11, 2012
Washington, DC
given the price tag of cap dumps would have cost Fla the best remaining draft picks.
We can certainly talk about the dumb acquisitions at the deadline (which were in fact all dumb). That’s more of a tangent though. I didn’t really suggest we should have traded him with picks instead (but it was an option to explore).

We should have done was dealt with our problems. For a team that had issues all season long icing an NHL-ready 6th or 7th defenseman, having an able-bodied Yandle buried in ice time was hardly that much of a downgrade from some of the shit we saw. Moreover we literally finished in first place. If Yandle was truly that impactful buried in the lineup, well, we had plenty of performance in-season to offset that. Our playoff result would’ve been no different.

But why hold onto him a whole season I suppose would be the real question here. His negative trade value thereafter gets a lot less negative when his total cash owed gets down to $2.2 million. That’s when you can start dangling the 2nd round picks to bottom-dwelling teams in the off-season who might have cap but not cash like Arizona. Most importantly though is that his buyout this year would’ve saved nearly $600k in cap hit this year if he was bought out now instead of last year. Anyone doing the math and planning ahead will have identified that this was the optimal year to buy out and that’s the paradox of his contract structure with its final year.

Anyone who looked at our books a year ago should have saw this coming. We traded Weegar with Huberdeau not to get the better player but for the simple reality that there was no way, after selling all those picks, that we would ever be cap compliant. It’s decisions like Yandle’s buyout that are what people want, but not what the team needs long term.

• Haha
Reactions: Laus723

Mogo

HFBoards Sponsor
Sponsor
Jun 26, 2002
I did not expect anything and thought he was just picked up because injuries we has at the time

Been a pleasent surprise. Love his shoot first mentality too

Reactions: Mase and Laus723

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad