Confirmed Signing with Link: [FLA] Mason Marchment signs extension (1 year, $800K)

Albus Dumbledore

Master of Death
Mar 28, 2015
Tallon grabbed him from Toronto for Malgin last season. Really did t expect much from him, but he’s been fine. Not a fan of him with Barkov and Verhaeghe, but he’s not terrible there either. Wish he’d use his size a little more though.
I think he can still figure it out and still has a chance to become a 3rd liner, he's only 25. I know he hasn't made a huge impact but I still liked his game from his Marlies and Leafs days.

TML1967

Jul 20, 2010
Loved his story while he was in the Leafs system.
Couldnt skate, limited offensive upside.
Worked his butt off and got to the AHL, and now has shown he is a NHLer.

My favortie time of stories, and if he can keep improving his stride (needs more explosive power in first step) he can be a solid 3W.

Toronto makebeleifs

Jul 4, 2014
Hey! Good for this kid, had some development needed when he was with the buds, pretty stoked to see him getting a good look. In any event, the leafs owed one to the Panthers for the hyman-mckegg trade all those years back.

kerrabria

May 3, 2018
Kinda weird tbqh. Marchment would have been a G6 UFA, and now I think this will make him an RFA in 2022?
So that means he will be both be eligible and attractive for Seattle. Maybe there's some type of deal here where he's gonna be part of the package to get rid of Stralman or Connolly or maybe increasing his value for a deadline trade.

I think of this as a chess move and not just a genuine re-signing because from Marchment's perspective, why would you sacrifice UFA status to become an RFA?
And from FLA's perspective, why were they spending precious deadline time negotiating with Marchment? He's been a fine depth player for us, but he's totally replacement level.

T_Cage

VP of Awesome
Sep 26, 2006
Kinda weird tbqh. Marchment would have been a G6 UFA, and now I think this will make him an RFA in 2022?
So that means he will be both be eligible and attractive for Seattle. Maybe there's some type of deal here where he's gonna be part of the package to get rid of Stralman or Connolly or maybe increasing his value for a deadline trade.

I think of this as a chess move and not just a genuine re-signing because from Marchment's perspective, why would you sacrifice UFA status to become an RFA?
And from FLA's perspective, why were they spending precious deadline time negotiating with Marchment? He's been a fine depth player for us, but he's totally replacement level.
I mean, guarantees him an nhl pay next year. Given how soft last years UFA market was (and flat cap is continuing) he might not have want to take the risk of getting stuck with 2 way offers for the sake of MAYBE making 100k, 200k more

violaswallet

Apr 8, 2019
I mean, guarantees him an nhl pay next year. Given how soft last years UFA market was (and flat cap is continuing) he might not have want to take the risk of getting stuck with 2 way offers for the sake of MAYBE making 100k, 200k more
This is it: he’s getting a raise and staying with a coach who plays him

Dread Clawz

LAWSonic Boom
Nov 25, 2006
Pennsylvania
I think he can still figure it out and still has a chance to become a 3rd liner, he's only 25. I know he hasn't made a huge impact but I still liked his game from his Marlies and Leafs days.

Yeah hopefully and I' m rooting hard for the kid, but even if he doesn't he'd still be a useful player on the 4th line with his style of play.

Haj

#CatsAreComing
Apr 6, 2003
Arlington, VA
Toronto fleeced them on the Hyman trade, Florida fleeced them on this one.

Hyman wasn't going to sign with Florida, he was going to sign with Toronto anyway. They got what they could.

Mason Marchment is a fourth liner. His one notable quality is that he is good positionally and can continue plays.

Q for some reason is infatuated with him. He doesn't have the hands or the skating ability to play in the top 9.

francis246

Nov 16, 2007
Hyman wasn't going to sign with Florida, he was going to sign with Toronto anyway. They got what they could.

Mason Marchment is a fourth liner. His one notable quality is that he is good positionally and can continue plays.

Q for some reason is infatuated with him. He doesn't have the hands or the skating ability to play in the top 9.

Same things were said about Hyman and now look at him, these coaches have an ability to know what the players can bring and if their game evolves what they can turn into. He seems to be producing on that top line so that could only be good for his development.

Reactions: Dread Clawz

Jared Dunn

Dec 23, 2013
Yellowknife

I doubt he has the same upside but you're basically describing Hyman of 2-3 years ago lol

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad