Confirmed Trade: [FLA/CGY] Matthew Tkachuk, c. 2025 4th for Jonathan Huberdeau, MacKenzie Weegar, Cole Schwindt, c. 2025 1st

Status
Not open for further replies.

Body Checker

Aug 11, 2005
Long ways to go for a winner in this trade. That Sportsnet trade tree will still be bearing fruit ten years from now.

BB88

Jan 19, 2015
This thread is a goldmine. Flames fans trashed Tkachuk so much. Glad to see him doing well.

"Huberdeau is far away the better offensive player"

"Tkachuk is slow & not an impact player"

"Mangiapane will replace Tkachuk's production IMO and someone else would have to fill in for Mangiapane's production.

"Huberdeau probably won’t push much beyond 90 points with the Flames, it’s true. But don’t hold your breath waiting for Tkachuk to even come close to that level"

"The guy isn’t a 100 point guy, even though he put up 104 points last year. Gaudreau and Lindholm drove that line and Chucky was there to clean up. Never saw the guy take over a game in his entire tenure as a Flame"

"The only reason Tkachuk is scoring all these highlight goals is the fact he had both Gaudreau as well as Lindholm setting him up over and over. Either way with Tkachuk on Florida my guess is 25-30 goals and 30-35 assists. You do not win championships when you have selfish players like the Tkachuks playing on your team. Daddy Tkachuk has taught his boys they are above the team and their needs come ahead of their teammates."

I don’t understand how anyone could have said Tkachuk was the 3rd best offensive player on that line.

E. Lindholm scored 82 points while his wingers scored 115 and 104.

This year we are seeing the same trend continue.

The only issue I still have on this trade for Florida is the 1st round pick.
Weegar should have been enough to compensate the UFA status.

Otherwise 10/10 take Tkachuk over Hubs/Weegar

Oh you mean the Panthers who don’t have any first round picks for the next 10 decades and play 2 NHL defenders and 3 AHL defenders for a total of 5 defenders on some nights?

Panthers core is build around 21-27y players.
They have their franchise guys already in place.

What they need is to rebuild depth and with this trade they’ll be dropping 15M of useless cap next offseason.
I have lot of issues with Zitos spending of 1st round picks yet they’ve been able to find plenty of steals on cheap contracts. Forsling, Verhaeghe, Duclair, White and Florida is a top3 destination to players right now(Tkachuk+ Giroux)

It’s pretty clear which of these teams has a better looking future.

One team is retooling and one team is going all in yet they are in a similar spot in the standings

Last edited:

BB88

Jan 19, 2015
Of course they’re going to trash him. He basically gave the middle finger to the franchise. Anyone who does that is going to get the same response. What did you expect? For them to call him a super nice guy and wish him all the best?

He went to the Gm and said he’s not going to sign an extension so let’s work together to make a fair trade.
End result was sign and trade to help out Calgary.

That’s a pretty well done move by a player who’s not going to commit longterm.

I think this trade gradually gets worse for flames, but treliving did well under the circumstances.

In a way yes he did but on the other hand this can really …. them up for a long time.

He took clearly older players and signed them to longterm deals.
They have a very short window to compete.

Ledge And Dairy

You can still turn it around and it doesn’t have to take 9 years. There is something you guys could do with Huberdeau, but hfboards is not ready to have that conversation yet.
You are trolling if you think a buy out will ever be considered. 20 games doesn't erase 4 over ppg seasons in a row. When Sutter came to Calgary both Gaudreau and Tkachuk both only had 11 points each in the first 20 games.

Last edited:

Cats2TheCup

Oct 27, 2011
Miami, Fl
You are trolling if you think a buy out will ever be considered. 20 games doesn't erase 4 over ppg seasons in a row. When Sutter came to Calgary both Gaudreau and Tkachuk both only had 11 points each in the first 20 games.
In fact, a Buyout never crossed my mind. This proves I was right however and HFBoards is not ready to discuss other scenarios. So I won’t bring it up again. Please don’t try to get me banned.

IceManCat

#TheFloridaPanthers
Jul 13, 2006
The Rat Den
Huberdeau will pick it back up again.... You guys think he all of a sudden forgot how to play. And I'm not really much of a fan of his.

madmike77

Jan 9, 2009
Huberdeau has been picking it up lately and Weegar has been one of the Flames most reliable defencemen.

This trade isn’t the real problem with the team. Poor play by guys like Mangiapane, Dube, Hanifin, Tanev (doesn’t look like himself), Lucic and most of all Markstrom (.889 save percentage isn’t going to cut it) is what’s killing them, along with the ongoing absence of Kylington (not even sure he will play at all this year at this point).

Trio123

Jul 26, 2021
Huberdeau a much better hockey player than Tkachuk and I believe is also a very good character guy.

This trade is an easy win for Calgary and if you think otherwise choose a new sport to follow

Huge W for CGY if Huberdau resigns, he's a much better player than Tkachuk. Small W for CGY if he doesn't and they flip him at the trade deadline for a big package. Massive L if they lose him for nothing, but I don't see that happening. If the Flames are leading the Pacific again at the TDL, and they know Hubey isn't going to re-sign, do they trade him? You have to, in my opinion. Still a great trade for Calgary.

If either guy re-signs with Calgary, this deal becomes incredible for them. If both Huberdeau and Weegar sign long-term deals, people will be wondering what the hell was in Zito’s drink that fateful morning for years.

Elite 25 year old complementary winger

for

Superstar 29 year old winger
First pairing 28 year old defenseman
First round pick
Solid NHL prospect

Hockey 4 Life

Feb 10, 2012
Tkachuk has been a monster this season. I though he'd be good but though he would fall off a bit from last year. Guess I was wrong.

jackjohnson

Feb 9, 2021
Am assuming Calgary lost the trade in the short term since they are now tied with Canucks in points

Those takes look so awful now, specially the guy he said to switch to a new sport if you think this was a bad trade for calgary. But hindsight is 20/20 and the trade was not bad for Calgary at the time. We still have to wait and see, maybe judge it in 2 to 3 years.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad