Confirmed Trade: [FLA/BUF] Brandon Montour for 2021 3rd round pick

Washed Up 29YearOld

Bro Do You Even Hockey?
Apr 29, 2018
Buffalo NY
1) Acquire promising young RFA defensemen.
2) play defensemen on his offside the majority of his tenure and pair him with a revolving door of partners.
3)After tanking his value, trade him for a third round pick.

I can’t even make this stuff up. I feel terrible for Sabres fans. They deserve better from their management.
Way to offer perspective to any of us groupthinking Sabres fans or hfboard members alike.
"We'll just hand him away for a third that's more like a fourth that has a 5% chance of being a useful NHLer. HE'S TERRRRRRRRRIBLE
Totally reasonable deal."
-Some people reasoning the trade
I mean dudes... let's put our thinking caps on. [said in a non-dickish tone] Yes he was an UFA. But the guy is a point every other game puckmoving RHD on the Sabres and people acting like a late 3rd/aka nothing is a fair deal for all sides. He can be the difference between a cup or not if he plays top 4 which he can and would. Sabres could've had leverage for that reason alone. He also could've been locked up or an RFA if not for Sabres incompetence. How do you evaluate him playing on his off-side as a puck mover on a team like the Sabres and act like a 3rd is legit.
Emblematic of exactly why the Sabres are going nowhere under this regime, unfortunately for too many parties involved.

Last edited:

banks

W W W 4 5 6 7 8 9 10 11 12 13 14 15 16
Aug 29, 2019
I've always liked Montour, and I think he'll do great now that he's free from the disaster the current Sabres are.

Gurglesons

Dec 18, 2009
San Diego, CA
last-train-tocool.blogspot.com
He's better than Matheson, although he's not gonna be anything of significance in replacing the loss of Ekblad. It keeps Stralman out of the top 6 basically.

He’s not. He’s arguably worse because he is an offensive only guy too.

Where as hypothetically when Matheson isn’t turning over the puck he can play defense and still produces better than Montour at 5v5.

Empoleon8771

Aug 25, 2015
Redmond, WA
He's better than Matheson, although he's not gonna be anything of significance in replacing the loss of Ekblad. It keeps Stralman out of the top 6 basically.

Nah no he's not.

Montour wasn't that good before the Sabres acquired him and the Sabres proceeded to absolutely ruin him after.

Laus723

Paradise hockey
Sponsor
Jan 27, 2006
Wellington, FL
Nah no he's not.

Montour wasn't that good before the Sabres acquired him and the Sabres proceeded to absolutely ruin him after.
He’s not. He’s arguably worse because he is an offensive only guy too.

Where as hypothetically when Matheson isn’t turning over the puck he can play defense and still produces better than Montour at 5v5.

you guys are funny with your need to jump in and constantly defend the Matheson trade. Montour can be let go after this season, Matheson was here for half a decade still, so even if he is worse or just as bad, we still moved out an awful contract. And a shit player.

Reactions: BabyBarkov

Dread Clawz

LAWSonic Boom
Nov 25, 2006
Pennsylvania
Nah no he's not.

What? He was definitely good before the Sabres acquired him. Maybe I haven't seen enough of Math this season, but from what I've seen he's been painfully average. I still have night terrors from his Florida days.

Reactions: BabyBarkov

Gurglesons

Dec 18, 2009
San Diego, CA
you guys are funny with your need to jump in and constantly defend the Matheson trade. Montour can be let go after this season, Matheson was here for half a decade still, so even if he is worse or just as bad, we still moved out an awful contract. And a shit player.

I’ll look forward to Cats fans and their takes on Montour when they actually watch him.

He was a player I wanted us to target from the Ducks. He plays more questionable than Matheson in the d-zone and is less skilled not in the o-zone. He does have a canyon of a shot.

Reactions: violaswallet

violaswallet

Apr 8, 2019
I’ll look forward to Cats fans and their takes on Montour when they actually watch him.

He was a player I wanted us to target from the Ducks. He plays more questionable than Matheson in the d-zone and is less skilled not in the o-zone. He does have a canyon of a shot.
Eh I think the Matheson comparisons don’t matter: Matheson was a mess here and needed a change of scenery.

We need a shot on our D right now, we don’t have any with Hoff down. Our first PP is suffering a lot and I definitely would prefer playing Montour at the point instead of Wennberg

Gurglesons

Dec 18, 2009
San Diego, CA
Eh I think the Matheson comparisons don’t matter: Matheson was a mess here and needed a change of scenery.

We need a shot on our D right now, we don’t have any with Hoff down. Our first PP is suffering a lot and I definitely would prefer playing Montour at the point instead of Wennberg

I think both Matheson and Montour have a useful role.

I just think it’s funny Cats fans dunk on Matheson and then don’t see the parallels.

Same thing happened on the Pens board this summer. Tons of posters wanted Montour then dunked on the Matheson acquisition.

Granted Matheson’s contract is awe inspiring.

Reactions: violaswallet

violaswallet

Apr 8, 2019
I think both Matheson and Montour have a useful role.

I just think it’s funny Cats fans dunk on Matheson and then don’t see the parallels.

Same thing happened on the Pens board this summer. Tons of posters wanted Montour then dunked on the Matheson acquisition.

Granted Matheson’s contract is awe inspiring.
Matheson had a bad contract but was just putrid that last season: something like the first eight goals against us by the Islanders involved him screwing up.

He is a useful guy and I want him to turn it around. After the EP incident he was stuck in his head here and couldn’t get out of it.

The major difference with Montour is shot quality; we wouldn’t trade for Matheson (at same contract) because that’s not his strength

Uncle Scrooge

Hockey Bettor
Nov 14, 2011
Helsinki

He stunk before he went to Buffalo.

He was pretty good when the Ducks were a winning team. Small sample size, around 120 ish games, so maybe it was unsustainable start to his career, but i liked his game.

Then the injured declining Ducks had stretches where they looked like one of the worst teams i've ever seen in 18/19 and he gets dealt to Buffalo where people to go lose confidence. So he hasn't really played on very confident hockey teams in a while. That potentially hurt his development.

I definitely feel like Montour could be a late-bloomer. Despite being 27 he's only hitting the magical 300 game number for a dman. If he can get back to playing the way he did earlier and maybe build on it on a good team like Florida there's upside there still imo.

Sabreality

HFBoards Sponsor
Sponsor
Aug 12, 2008
Atlanta, GA
I mean, he's better than Colin Miller. That's way too low a bar to be a compliment, but you could do worse.
yeah, you just have to let him play his game, skate the puck out, join the rush, be aggressive through the nz. let him go, if you try to saddle him and play a safe dzone first style he's gonna hurt ya. Might as well gain some positives with the derps vs just wandering in his own end.

hirawl

Used Register
Dec 27, 2010
Fits FLA's style of play with his ability to find those fast lanes on breakouts. Passes or skating it up. His d-side of the game does not fit anybody's style of play really but that's how NHL is rolling today. I mean 4F - 1D basically.

Adds a lot to their offense and takes some minutes off of Yandle with slightly better defense. I guess this is an ok add with potential to become a nice add. More needed though.

Reactions: Dread Clawz

Dread Clawz

LAWSonic Boom
Nov 25, 2006
Pennsylvania
Fits FLA's style of play with his ability to find those fast lanes on breakouts. Passes or skating it up. His d-side of the game does not fit anybody's style of play really but that's how NHL is rolling today. I mean 4F - 1D basically.

Adds a lot to their offense and takes some minutes off of Yandle with slightly better defense. I guess this is an ok add with potential to become a nice add. More needed though.

Yup Zito likes his puckmoving d-men and grinding forwards.

HogtownSabresfan

Jan 13, 2010
how many leaps of assumptions with no evidence did it take to come to that conclusion?

Let's see. The Sabres decided to trade Montour to one of the few teams that would take on the contract. It's bit rich to think that taking on 50% of cap hit (and actual cash) doesn't result in something better. Let's not forget the O'Reilly move when 24 hours before a $7.5 M bonus was due, they trade him to Blues. It's impossible to believe paying the bonus would not have created more options.

That's not to say that Pegulas won't spend. There is just no rhyme or reason to it. I mean $72 M for Skinner when there is no reason to believe there was another NHL team close to that number. This past season $4.5 M for two years of Cody Eakins, $6.6 M for three years of Girgensons and then $11 M plus for a former soccer president with half a season of NHL coaching.

Maybe I'm wrong. Sabres can eat three cap hits. One was used for Staal. Another will be used for Taylor Hall (or we will be lucky to get a 4th). Perhaps Ullmark, Risto, Reinhart or someone else is being used and third chip is being saved for that.

But I doubt it. This management always proves unable to understand markets and contracts.

BWJM

Sponsor
Mar 16, 2011
He's only signed for this year. You'd have to think he doesn't get a raise on his next contract.

I'd expect him to perform somewhat better in Florida but who knows.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad