Confirmed Signing with Link: [FLA] Aaron Ekblad re-signs with Panthers (8 years, $7.500M AAV)

biturbo19

Jul 13, 2010
Personally, i would've wanted to see how he does with a bit less cushy zone starts before i started shelling out an elite defenceman contract for him. But i mean, the market the way it is for RH shooting D and the name recognition, along with the goal production he can generate, and how important he is to that team...he was gonna get paid like this sooner or later. Just avoids any unpleasantness trying to bridge a bit of a mid-tier salary for a year or two before going big.

Seems early, but he's certainly trending the right way in a big hurry, so whatever.

The Zetterberg Era

Ball Hockey Sucks
Nov 8, 2011
Ft. Myers, FL
Great deal if true, think his play is already in line with this.

Florida is building a heckuva hockey team there.

Three strong down the middle and a franchise D-man. Love what they have put together. Not a huge Yandle fan, but I think Ekblad can finally provide cover for some of Yandle's issues and will reap the offensive complements well with his game.

McBaevid

Lottery Dynasty
Oct 3, 2010
Edmonton, AB
This is why there's a lockout every few years. Not saying he doesn't deserve it but 5 years ago only the best of the best Dmen were making that kind of money

Mr Positive

Cap Crunch Incoming
Nov 20, 2013
Ekblad is a rare talent. His deal doesn't set a precedent. RFA vs UFA matters less at that top echelon. I'm sure McDavid's deal will be very high as well.

PatriceBergeronFan

HFBoards Sponsor
Sponsor
Jul 15, 2011
USA
As a franchise defenseman he will be worth it. It appears to be market value as elite defensemen aside from PK are in that neighborhood.

He isn't quite there yet but he will be. He certainly took advantage. Florida gave him everything.

hotpaws

Nov 21, 2009
This is why there's a lockout every few years. Not saying he doesn't deserve it but 5 years ago only the best of the best Dmen were making that kind of money

5 years ago stiffs like Phaneuf were making more when taking into account the lower cap.

vendetta

#CatsAreComing
Mar 22, 2011
Edmonton
Ekblad is a rare talent. His deal doesn't set a precedent. RFA vs UFA matters less at that top echelon. I'm sure McDavid's deal will be very high as well.

Yes but mcdavid will put upper echelon numbers.. ekblad hasn't come close to that yet and didn't show imorivement from year 1 to year 2... he hasn't cracked 40 points.. and isn't an absolute stud defensively yet either... I'm not saying he won't be but he hasn't shown it yet... he got 1 mil less than elite stamkos did for all 8 years of ufa while ekblad is getting 4 years rfa money at elite level d money when he hasn't even shown that yet.. this is a market value contrace for a player that is still 4 years away from ufa

chunkylover53

Nov 26, 2013
Way to much of a gamble for someone who hasn't shown he can carry the defensive load. I'd much rather have Jones and his contract lol.

chunkylover53

Nov 26, 2013
He might not be top-10 right now, but in a years time, he will be.

Right now, I'd say he's around top-15:

Karlsson
Doughty
Subban
Keith
Hedman
Josi
Weber
OEL
Pietrangelo
Burns
Letang
Carlson
Suter
Ekblad
McDonagh

That's my top-15 list now.

There's more than that, Vlasic, Gio, Brodie, Faulk are all better. Ekblad does not play the shutdown role in FLA.

longchange

Feb 18, 2012
Hmm it appears Ekblad got the best of both worlds on this one...I didn't expect it would be more than 8 x 6.5. Well good for him, I hope he keeps trending in the right direction.

ottawa

Nov 7, 2012
Orléans/Toronto
That's a lot...knowing him, he'll be well worth it. I don't see how a bridge deal would be a bad idea though, sign him 2 years later if he keeps it up...worst comes to worst you pay him 8.5m in a couple years. He's still a little unproven imo

PetterssonSimp

Dec 12, 2008
End of this season coming people will be like damn I wish I had the Panthers defence. Holy get him a taste of the playoffs and he was set. Yup I'd take 8 years to stay with a team on the rise

longchange

Feb 18, 2012
There's more than that, Vlasic, Gio, Brodie, Faulk are all better. Ekblad does not play the shutdown role in FLA.

Yup definitely some omissions on that list...Gio, Brodie, Faulk, Vlasic, Byfuglien, Klingberg are ahead of him right now imo. He's competing with guys like Jones, Lindholm, Rielly, Ekholm etc to be a permanent fixture in the top 20.

chunkylover53

Nov 26, 2013
You don't call a contract a steal when it would make someone the 5th highest paid dman in the league. This isn't a dman version of Crosby we're talking about.

Granted those contracts were signed years ago, so contract inflation and all, but still I'm not even sure he's better than the likes of Lindholm or Rielly right now. It's a gamble for potential essentially.

FrolikFan67

Apr 29, 2012
idk why people compare this contract to other dmen who signed their contracts years ago when the cap was lower. this is the going rate for a #1 d (if not necessarily now, then in just a year or two), especially given his age and what he's been able to accomplish already. and to lock him up for another 8yrs till he's 29 and taking up several ufa years.

theres at least, at least 10-15 d who, if they were a free agent now or 1yr away and got a new contract, would make 7.5per at bare minimum. 7.5per for him is a perfect fair number, like literally right there in the middle of what would be ideal. 20, as good as he is, around for 9 more full years, 7.5 is very fair and I'm super excited to have him locked up for the next 9yrs and yandle for the next 7yrs, that incredible to have 2 top line d and both locked up longterm. will make constructing the team easier when you already have your cornerstone pieces locked up longterm, which also include our forwards like barkov for the next 6yrs, bjugstad for the next 5yrs, and trocheck about to get a contract of about 5-6yrs probably.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad