Five sleepers for 2018 draft

57special

Posting the right way since 2012.
Sep 5, 2012
MN
I don't agree that he's the best defensive prospect on the team, but I think Samuelsson is one of the more underrated players in this draft.

I think he's one of the most NHL ready players. He could probably play the role that every team's 5-6D plug plays as soon as next season. I've found in the games I've watched that he's very good defensively, well beyond his fellow NTDP defensemen when it comes to defending. Outside of Dahlin, I'm not sure there's a player in this draft who defends better than him currently.

I think Wilde has higher potential though. Miller might have higher potential, but I don't think he shows yet enough to have me rank him above Samuelsson. Wilde is very good offensively, and I think he has good defensive tools, the decision making just isn't there yet. I think he'll improve in that area though.

Miller is a project at D. I'd like to see him go back to playing forward, if he doesn't show some improvement. Some guys just aren't cut out for playing D.

Reactions: Pavel Buchnevich

Whalers Fan

Go Habs!
Sep 24, 2012
Plymouth, MI
Miller is a project at D. I'd like to see him go back to playing forward, if he doesn't show some improvement. Some guys just aren't cut out for playing D.

I agree with this. Miller really struggles to cover his opponent on the rush -- he looks uncomfortable and awkward in that situation. He'll get even more exposed as he moves up to higher levels of play.

As for Bode Wilde, I do agree with Pavel that his issues are more with decision-making than technique. Whether he can overcome this with better coaching, or if he just has a low hockey IQ, remains to be seen. He is much more of a "boom or bust" prospect than Samuelsson. One thing in Wilde's favor, though, is that he hasn't been done any favors with the coaching switch on the NTDP this season from Danton Cole (now at Michigan State) to Seth Appert, who came from RPI. The entire squad looks terrible defensively most nights -- I cannot remember the last time I've seen a major junior team give up so many breakaways and odd-man rushes due to poor positioning. These same U18 players were not this undisciplined last season as the U17's under Cole.

57special

Posting the right way since 2012.
Sep 5, 2012
MN
Miller is even a project at forward, but he has a lot of potential.

It seems that there are a lot of Dmen prospects that have a lot of "PMD tools", but at the expense of defensive acumen. Meanwhile, at the NHL level, I see a dearth of fleet footed, skilled, high IQ, Dmen who play excellent defense. Everyone wants to be Paul Coffey out there...which is fine, if you're Brent Burns or Klingberg, but ...

Frk It

Mo Seider Less Problems
Jul 27, 2010
I wouldn’t give up on Miller at defense yet; plus he’s going to Wisconsin who has Granato, which should be perfect for his development as a defenseman.

Most young defenseman have some warts, nevertheless guys who switched postions. Give it time.

North Country

Oct 24, 2012
Colin Schmidt - size, tools, and will explode as a prospect when he's done at his high school program. A team will steal him from where he's currently ranked.

AmericanDream

Thank you Elon!
Oct 24, 2005
Chicago Manitoba
I will also add Jay O'Brien - Thayer Academy/Youngstown -USHL - heading to Providence College -

I have been talking about him a lot more lately, keep an eye out on this kid. 2nd-3rd rounder with a mountain of upside and potential.

DudeWhereIsMakar

Bergevin sent me an offer sheet
Apr 25, 2014
Winnipeg
Riley Stotts. I made a thread on him because he impressed me, was on a stacked Swift Current Bronco's team, traded to Calgary and he's already one of their top scorers. I'd 100% take him with my pick.

Reactions: MatthewFlames

Cap'n Flavour

Mar 8, 2004
Flavour Country
My top three sleepers:

Kody Clark: He's not a traditional 4 hours of REM type of sleeper, but this kid has the best power naps of anyone in his age group. He's the kind of guy who can pass out for 15 minutes and wake up completely refreshed and energized.
Demid Mansurov: Russia isn't traditionally known for producing reliable sleepers, but he's a rock. Give him a good pillow and he'll doze right through a rock concert next to an international airport.
Sean Dhooghe: Everyone talks about his size as a disadvantage, but it can be a positive too - Dhooghe is the most versatile sleeper in the draft and can curl up or fold himself to sleep in tiny cracks and crevices that bigger kids would struggle to get a leg into.

HM: Jakub Skarek - absolutely booming exhalations. Wow can he snore!

emptyNedder

Not seeking rents
Sponsor
Jan 17, 2018
Nyman has made me look prescient: 8 points (4 and 4) in 3 games since identifying him as a sleeper last week. My guess is he could end up being late 2nd rounder if he keeps it up.

Fantomas

Aug 7, 2012
Bulat Shafigullin is 18+16 after 20 games in the MHL. Better than Kucherov was in his draft year, who had 27+31 after 41 games. Good size as well with 6'1, played in the KHL this season.

A bit younger than Kucherov was, but still intriguing.

ProspectsFanatic

Nov 13, 2012
Jan Jenik and Albin Eriksson, their late birthdays making them a bit unnoticed.

Last edited:

newdimension

May 18, 2013
I'm just gonna throw out a boatload of names that'll possibly be there in the later rounds (3rd round and beyond, most likely) that I like and are worth a pick:

Luka Burzan, Kyle Topping, Toni Utunen, Nils Lundkvist, Alexander Steeves, Wyatt Wyelie, Chase Hartje, Jacob Pivonka, Declan Chisholm, Paul Cotter, Ivan Muranov, Brendan Budy, Ben Almquist, Marc del Gaizo, Jerry Turkulainen, Chase Wouters, Hugo Leufvenius, Scott Perunovich, Severi Lahtinen, Keegan Karki

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad