OT: Fitness and Nutrition XII

Mrb1p

PRICERSTOPDAPUCK
Dec 10, 2011
Citizen of the world
Has nothing to do with the social aspect and all about the environment. The social aspect actually causes a distraction. I like to train alone.
I need to be in a conducive training environment where I can focus. I just can't do it at home. Major lack of equipment, can't even do a standing press because I'll put a hole through the ceiling. Nowhere to do BB squats. One pair of dumbbells, no bench, no rack, no pull up bar, just a couple bands, a skipping rope.
Not to mention, I have to be careful whenever putting weights down not to mess up the wooden floor.

Like I said. Not an environment conducive to training.
You have minimum equipment that makes it fine for you to train. You even have a destination where you actually leave home to go train elsewhere. I don't. Pretty easy to preach when that's the case.

I'd love to have cash lying around where I can rent out a warehouse to go train too. Would have done that a while back. Sadly that's not my reality.
Shit I dont have a minimum, I have literally everything I need and more, lmao. When you start spending its hard to stop.

waffledave

waffledave, from hf
Aug 22, 2004
Montreal
Don't read into it too much if it's a single outlying reading. Stress can mess with this quite a bit and blood pressure cycles up and down even within a single day.

Checked it again after chilling for a bit, it was on the higher end of normal but at least in the normal range.

MSLs absurd thighs

Formerly Tough Au Lit
Feb 4, 2013
Checked it again after chilling for a bit, it was on the higher end of normal but at least in the normal range.

Good to know. When in doubt try and see if your high numbers are consistent. A single reading is generally more or less reliable.

MSLs absurd thighs

Formerly Tough Au Lit
Feb 4, 2013
Shit I dont have a minimum, I have literally everything I need and more, lmao. When you start spending its hard to stop.

Word. I now have Squat candles, a bar, over 300 pounds in weight, adjustable dbs, TRX's, a power tower (for leg raises, pull ups, and dips) and a bench. Literally everything I need except pulleys. In a few months, COVID or not, I'm looking to buy a functional trainer (cable crossovers station). When I have children I'll thank myself.

Mrb1p

PRICERSTOPDAPUCK
Dec 10, 2011
Citizen of the world
Word. I now have Squat candles, a bar, over 300 pounds in weight, adjustable dbs, TRX's, a power tower (for leg raises, pull ups, and dips) and a bench. Literally everything I need except pulleys. In a few months, COVID or not, I'm looking to buy a functional trainer (cable crossovers station). When I have children I'll thank myself.
I went full on bananas and even built farmers handles that also transform into a frame.

*Bought. Im not that handy.

waffledave

waffledave, from hf
Aug 22, 2004
Montreal
Good to know. When in doubt try and see if your high numbers are consistent. A single reading is generally more or less reliable.

It definitely goes up and down. It was high again later in the evening. I didn't sleep much last night so will try to get a good night sleep. Seeing the doctor this week anyway.

DramaticGloveSave

Voice of Reason
Apr 17, 2017
My workouts are super ghetto right now. Just have a pull-up bar and random 20 pound barbells lol.

doing 3 total body workouts a week.
-1 set of pull-ups
-1 set of chin-ups
-1 set of horizontal rows
-1 set of one handed pushups (each hand)
-1 set of wide push-ups
-1 set of close push-ups with a pause and slow negative
-3 sets of lateral delt raises
-3 sets of Arnold presses
-3 sets single leg body weight deadlifts alternating no rest
-2 minute plank

Andrei79

Jan 25, 2013
Haven't trained at all since COVID.

Have used the time with the family and in a multitude of research project and clinical work, even some personal creative projects (and reconnecting with my love of video games). Oh, and Covid kind putting pressure on the health system, lmao. Honestly, it's been good. I've liked taking a break from training quite a bit, even.

That said, I'm going to have a month at home to work on some research in February and I've been thinking of starting cross-country skiing. Wonder if its realistic to learn this by myself ? There's a trail near my house that looks real nice.

Last edited:
Reactions: DAChampion

Andrei79

Jan 25, 2013

If you're an anxious person, that in itself can make the readings much higher than they should be. Like, white coat syndrome.

waffledave

waffledave, from hf
Aug 22, 2004
Montreal
If you're an anxious person, that in itself can make the readings much higher than they should be. Like, white coat syndrome.

I have OCD and while it isn't all the time, it comes out with stress and makes my stress worse. Vicious cycle. At the end of the day inknow my blood pressure was fine in September and again in November when the doctor checked it. A few bad readings (with good readings in between) on a home tester a few months later shouldn't freak me out that much. But cause of my OCD, it obviously does.

MSLs absurd thighs

Formerly Tough Au Lit
Feb 4, 2013

Have used the time with the family and in a multitude of research project and clinical work, even some personal creative projects (and reconnecting with my love of video games). Oh, and Covid kind putting pressure on the health system, lmao. Honestly, it's been good. I've liked taking a break from training quite a bit, even.

That said, I'm going to have a month at home to work on some research in February and I've been thinking of starting cross-country skiing. Wonder if its realistic to learn this by myself ? There's a trail near my house that looks real nice.

Trail skiing, obviously, you can learn by yourself quite easily. Skate-style you might need to learn a tip or two before starting but it's feasible.

The great thing with individual sports is that you can learn and go the rhythm you want.

Mrb1p

PRICERSTOPDAPUCK
Dec 10, 2011
Citizen of the world

have you skid before ? If so youll be fine. Theres a few great videos on youtube too.

Its a good idea honestly, this or snowshoeing are some of my favorite activities.

Kriss E

May 3, 2007
Jeddah

You could try snowshoeing for something easier.

Andrei79

Jan 25, 2013
You could try snowshoeing for something easier.
have you skid before ? If so youll be fine. Theres a few great videos on youtube too.

Its a good idea honestly, this or snowshoeing are some of my favorite activities.

I thought about it, but wasn't sure if it would be boring. You guys like it ? I might go ahead with that instead.

Mrb1p

PRICERSTOPDAPUCK
Dec 10, 2011
Citizen of the world
I thought about it, but wasn't sure if it would be boring. You guys like it ? I might go ahead with that instead.
Do you enjoy hikes? Its the same thing but in snow. I personally like it and find it helps me relax a bit.

I guess it really depends where you do it though, if its mostly a flat open area, its pretty sad to snowshoe there :laugh:

Kriss E

May 3, 2007
Jeddah
Actually never tried but I bought some to my bro few years back and he seems to really enjoy them.
I want to give it a try soon though.

Andrei79

Jan 25, 2013
Actually never tried but I bought some to my bro few years back and he seems to really enjoy them.
I want to give it a try soon though.
Do you enjoy hikes? Its the same thing but in snow. I personally like it and find it helps me relax a bit.

I guess it really depends where you do it though, if its mostly a flat open area, its pretty sad to snowshoe there :laugh:

I love hikes, probably one of my favorite activities. But, I'm not near a mountain yet. We love the outdoors so much we almost bought a house at the Quartier Sommet-Trinité in St-Bruno recently. It was at the top of the mountain and had a direct access to the park. We're probably going to make the move in the next year. There's biking, hiking, a great ski school. I'd have no excuses not to be in good shape.

MasterD

Giggidy Giggidy Goo
Jul 1, 2004
Alright so I bit the bullet and ordered myself a powerrack with a barbell and weights. INFINITY / IRONAX BAR / STEEL COMBO

I miss the olympic lifts I learnt when I did crossfit, but disliked how we had to perform them super fast... Probably gonna go with the Starting Strength program to start since haven't strength trained in a while.

Anyways, so my question is, I'm thinking of ordering some bumper plates to limit the impact of/when I drop it. Are they made with a larger diameter in order to be utilized alongside normal plates and prevent those from hitting the floor? Or do I need to use only bumpers?

Reactions: Mrb1p

Mrb1p

PRICERSTOPDAPUCK
Dec 10, 2011
Citizen of the world
Alright so I bit the bullet and ordered myself a powerrack with a barbell and weights. INFINITY / IRONAX BAR / STEEL COMBO

I miss the olympic lifts I learnt when I did crossfit, but disliked how we had to perform them super fast... Probably gonna go with the Starting Strength program to start since haven't strength trained in a while.

Anyways, so my question is, I'm thinking of ordering some bumper plates to limit the impact of/when I drop it. Are they made with a larger diameter in order to be utilize then alongside normal plates and prevent those from hitting the floor? Or do I need to use only bumpers?

It depends on the plates you get. Some 45s are bigger than others, generally bumpers are always a bit bigger but with decent weight youll just smash through.

MasterD

Giggidy Giggidy Goo
Jul 1, 2004
It depends on the plates you get. Some 45s are bigger than others, generally bumpers are always a bit bigger but with decent weight youll just smash through.
What do you mean I'll smash through? Thinking if the bumper 45s are larger in diameter and i put them on the outside of the barbell it should protect the other, smaller, plates inside, no?

Mrb1p

PRICERSTOPDAPUCK
Dec 10, 2011
Citizen of the world
What do you mean I'll smash through? Thinking if the bumper 45s are larger in diameter and i put them on the outside of the barbell it should protect the other, smaller, plates inside, no?
If you have other 45s, usually theyll just be like a quarter inch smaller than the bumpers, so dropping the weight with anything substantialt (assuming at least 225 since theres 2 plates) will just have the bar bend and youll end up hitting with the iron plates too. If you use 35's or smaller youll be good though.

MasterD

Giggidy Giggidy Goo
Jul 1, 2004
If you have other 45s, usually theyll just be like a quarter inch smaller than the bumpers, so dropping the weight with anything substantialt (assuming at least 225 since theres 2 plates) will just have the bar bend and youll end up hitting with the iron plates too. If you use 35's or smaller youll be good though.
Makes sense, didn't take into account the bar bending. Thanks!

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad