First time attendee of a QMJHL game

Michael Farkas

Celebrate 68
Jun 28, 2006
NYC
www.hockeyprospect.com
Hello,

I plan on making a trip to Montreal the following weekend and as part of the trip, I want to catch the Armada game vs. Drummondville. Anything I need to know specifically, particularly as someone who only knows very, very low level French (I probably won't be able to understand much of what's said, but I can read enough to get me by I think)?

Tickets anywhere in the arena seem reasonable even from the team site (is there even a secondary market?) so I might experiment and sit some place I only rarely sit in...

My itinerary, is simple, leaving from Philadelphia to Montreal - catch the Armada/Volts game Friday night, catch the Montreal matinee the next day and then hopefully take in some night life both nights.

Any tips/tricks for an English speaker (who will make an effort at French) at any point in the process would be greatly appreciated. Thanks!

CanCHI

Dec 6, 2015
Don't make an effort with your low level French you will only get dirty looks and cold shoulders and terrible service. Just speak English and work it out that way

Patmac40

BESTPOSTERINTHEGAME
Jun 7, 2012
Halifax, Nova Scotia
English is spoken a lot in Montreal, very bilingual city. I speak French fluently and hardly use it there unless there's a cab driver who doesn't like the anglos in his cab. If it was a city like Chicoutimi or Shawinigan I'd say try a little bit as I find that people there hardly speak English and understand more what it's like to struggle with the second language.

David Suzuki

Aug 25, 2010
New Brunswick
I'd recommend to say merci and bonjour basic stuff like that. People would appreciate it just as if you were to go to China and said a few things in Manadarin. As soon as you say it people will understand you're not french. Either way, it's Montreal most people can speak English. I also think the whole "Quebecois hates anglo" thing is just a stereotype. I speak French but my friends don't and I've never seen them be berated or treated poorly for their poor or lack of french. It's not impossible of course, but I don't think it would be a problem.

have fun though! Q games can be exciting. Usually good quality hockey especially with BBA being a good team.

Penguins23

Le Magnifique
Dec 14, 2006
NB Canada
Just speak english. I speak very good french(by my local standards) but people in Montreal answer me back in English because it's not Quebec french lol.

Enjoy the game. The Armada have some fun players to watch and good goalies.

Reactions: Fixxer

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad