First round has been terrible, but next round will benefit

shakes the clown

Jan 11, 2010
Chicago
Let's be honest, this has been a historically bad opening round of the playoffs. Only one series is tied after 4 games, everything else is 3-1 (except for NYR who went 4-0). Unless some teams pull off a miracle, this opening round will go down as one of, if not the most, lopsided opening rounds in playoff history. Last year we had 3 game 7s in the opening round, this year we'll be lucky to get one. You have to go back to 2017 to find an opening round as lopsided as this one (not counting 2020 bubble which I refuse to acknowledge as a real playoff)

But, the silver lining is that the next round is shaping up to be epic. If nothing crazy happens we are looking at:

NYR vs Carolina (2 amazing teams)
Florida vs Boston (rematch from last year)
Vancouver vs Edmonton (Canada Cup)
Colorado vs Dal/Vegas (amazing matchup no matter who it is)

BMOK33

Oct 5, 2005
I knew it too I looked back at my predictions in our pool we did and I didn’t have a single series going 7. It just felt most of these were pretty lopsided on paper

Darren McCord

Dec 15, 2015
I disagree slightly. While the series scores aren’t particularly close, except for the Stars-Knights series, I’ve been plenty entertained by the games I’ve managed to watch.

Meh there have been good games but overall the series as a whole haven't been great. Stars-Knights has been good. Avs and Jets have been fun. The others kinda meh.

archangel2

May 19, 2019
First round has been great
Let's be honest, this has been a historically bad opening round of the playoffs. Only one series is tied after 4 games, everything else is 3-1 (except for NYR who went 4-0). Unless some teams pull off a miracle, this opening round will go down as one of, if not the most, lopsided opening rounds in playoff history. Last year we had 3 game 7s in the opening round, this year we'll be lucky to get one. You have to go back to 2017 to find an opening round as lopsided as this one (not counting 2020 bubble which I refuse to acknowledge as a real playoff)

But, the silver lining is that the next round is shaping up to be epic. If nothing crazy happens we are looking at:

WetcoastOrca

HFBoards Sponsor
Sponsor
Jun 3, 2011
Vancouver, BC

Agreed. For me most years the first round is generally the best hockey. Not this year for sure. Aside from Dallas-Vegas the series have been pretty meh without the high level drama and 7 game series we’ve become used to.
But it should be great here on out.

AhosDatsyukian

Sep 25, 2020
2 series are over

Rangers and FLA already advancing.
yes thank you didn't really pay attention to last night but main point still stands. 6 more series to be finished, if all 6 go 7 (unlikely of course, but we've seen crazier things in sports) is it still the most lopsided series ever?

Reactions: Summer Rose

Darren McCord

Dec 15, 2015
yes thank you didn't really pay attention to last night but main point still stands. 6 more series to be finished, if all 6 go 7 (unlikely of course, but we've seen crazier things in sports) is it still the most lopsided series ever?

That's a hypothetical. I agree with you in that. But as it stands now, 4 more look to end tonight. Another hypothetical is if they all end tonight it would be an awful round to have 6 series where a team only won 1 game.

I see more ending because.
Isles suck
Toronto sucks without matthews.
Helly is tanking WPG
I dont see Nash recovering from that heartbreak.

Reactions: Summer Rose

AhosDatsyukian

Sep 25, 2020
That's a hypothetical. I agree with you in that. But as it stands now, 4 more look to end tonight. Another hypothetical is if they all end tonight it would be an awful round to have 6 series where a team only won 1 game.

I see more ending because.
Isles suck
Toronto sucks without matthews.
Helly is tanking WPG
I dont see Nash recovering from that heartbreak.
and if that happens this thread could be made. being made already is premature is all

StreetHawk

Sep 30, 2017
odds are at least 1 if these 3-1 series winds up going 7, maybe even a couple or 3 do. let's wait for the round to finish before declaring it completely terrible or one of the most lopsided ever. only 1 series has ended
Honestly, NYI/Car and Nash/Van are both a 3rd period final few minutes away from being a 2-2 series in games 2 and 4.

Right now, only LV/Dal will get to game 6 which is set for Friday. I do wonder if the remaining series close in 5, does the NHL want to setup a matchup for Saturday or do they leave that day blank and wait for potentially a game 7 for Sunday. Same goes for Sunday if all of the other series are done by Tue/Wed and there's no game 7 on Sunday, do they have a matchup ready to go just regardless to ensure they have something this weekend?

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad