First Mock Draft of 2004

Status
Not open for further replies.

LetsGOJackets!!

Mar 23, 2004
Columbus Ohio
Many thanks..

I appreciate the projections on mid round dmen.

One other question for you, Vlad and the other writers:

If you were the GM of the club getting the #1 entry pick and even had a thought of trading this away due to finances/ etc.. what would make a trade for if you were a) Craig Patrick or b) Doug MacLean? In each of your minds could offering the chance at Crosby next year enter into the trading?

Brock

Feb 27, 2002
The GTA
ohlprospects.blogspot.com
Blew Smoke said:
I appreciate the projections on mid round dmen.

One other question for you, Vlad and the other writers:

If you were the GM of the club getting the #1 entry pick and even had a thought of trading this away due to finances/ etc.. what would make a trade for if you were a) Craig Patrick or b) Doug MacLean? In each of your minds could offering the chance at Crosby next year enter into the trading?

Well I think a reality is that if you are in the hunt for the first overall selection this year, barring some huge improvements (ones that aren't often made), you are going to be in the hunt for that same pick next year, or at least somewhere around there. Plus Ovechkin and Crosby are both franchise players and some of the best talent to come around in a long time for the draft. So I don't know whether you'd trade away your chance at one of them, for the other when there is actually a chance you could get both of them.

If I was going to be trading away the First overall selection, I think I'd be looking for proven talent in return. If you are going to trade away a potential franchise player, there is no point in acquiring other unproven talents or draft picks for him (unless I guess if you don't like the first overall guy, and say really really like someone around the 5th or 6th spot). If I were to trade the first overall pick, I'd be trying to acquire some young NHL talent that can help the organization for next year and take the team out of lottery contention for the following season.

xtra

May 19, 2002
Vancouver
Visit site
lets see here:

Canucks Player to be

Oscar Hedman

Sweedish: Check
Plays for MODO: Check
Defensemen: Check
Big: Check
Good Skater:Check
Two Way player: Check

Now if i know burke and he sees all this, He's gonna trade up to the 1st ov pick and grab Oscar. lol

never enough sweedish guys on our team

ZombieMatt

May 20, 2002
xtra said:
lets see here:

Canucks Player to be

Oscar Hedman

Sweedish: Check
Plays for MODO: Check
Defensemen: Check
Big: Check
Good Skater:Check
Two Way player: Check

Now if i know burke and he sees all this, He's gonna trade up to the 1st ov pick and grab Oscar. lol

never enough sweedish guys on our team

Hahhaa, that is definitely true, I never really looked at the potential for Hedman to be a Canuck like that.

However, with that said, I would be disappointed if the Canucks passed up on Valabik. Perhaps I'm over-rating him, but in the two times I was able to see him play, I thought he was excellent defensively in terms of positioning, and while he was huge, he did not make an effort to go out of his way to lay out a destructive hit. He bid his time and made big hits when they came to him, not vice versa. I saw too many good things and not enough mistakes, to not want to take a chance on the guy in the low-mid 20's of the draft.

Excellent work on the mock, Brock, and great commentary afterwards from Vlad as always.

db23

If Montreal passed on A.J. Thelen at #20, I would personally mount an attack of the executive suites at the Bell Centre. They let Parise slip by to the Devils last year, that was bad enough. :madfire:

A quick rule of thumb based on players who have moved from the CCHA to the WHL in recent years suggests that 1 CCHA point is worth 1.5 to 2 WHL points. At that rate, Thelen would project to score about 100 points in a full WHL season. Far ahead of Cam Barker. Thelen is bigger than Barker and better defensively as well, I would venture.

Vagrant

The Czech Condor
Feb 27, 2002
North Carolina
Visit site
Now that Carolina has gone on a big roll with winning, do you think they still have a shot at Wolski at the #10-14 range, Brock? I'd like to see this list updated.

Hossa

Feb 27, 2002
Abroad
Visit site
Caniacforever said:
Now that Carolina has gone on a big roll with winning, do you think they still have a shot at Wolski at the #10-14 range, Brock? I'd like to see this list updated.

I'm not Brock, but I'd be incredibly surprised if Wolski slips out of the top 10. At this point, I think he's most likely going to go in the 6-9 range, but any lower and I'd be quite amazed. He simply has too much upside and he hasn't had a bad year either. The only way he hits #10 is if there are a string of surprise picks with guys like Thelen, Stafford, Tukonen, Green or Picard almost all going ahead of him.

Brock

Feb 27, 2002
The GTA
Hossa said:
I'm not Brock, but I'd be incredibly surprised if Wolski slips out of the top 10. At this point, I think he's most likely going to go in the 6-9 range, but any lower and I'd be quite amazed. He simply has too much upside and he hasn't had a bad year either. The only way he hits #10 is if there are a string of surprise picks with guys like Thelen, Stafford, Tukonen, Green or Picard almost all going ahead of him.

I'll echo those sentiments.

Wolski would be a great addition to the Hurricanes, in fact he'd be a perfect addition to the Canes group of prospects, but I don't see him slipping outside of the top 10.

Vagrant

The Czech Condor
Feb 27, 2002
North Carolina
Visit site
Thanks, guys. I had really hoped that Wolski would be available at the Hurricanes pick but it doesn't look like it's going to turn out that way unless they trade up. I'm not sure who they're going to take, but Wolski looked like the perfect fit.

ceber

Apr 28, 2003
Wyoming, MN
Brock said:
9. Minnesota Wild: Alexandre Picard
Picard is a hardworking winger out of the QMJHL. He brings a little bit of everything to the ice, and his offensive output has been solid thus far. The Wild have been all over with their draft picks, not really following any method.

Initially, the primary focus for the Wild has been getting good skaters. I don't think that's really changed a whole lot lately. Also, they seem to prefer taking offensive talent with their first few picks. Additionally, it's starting to look like we may be drafting 11th. With those points in mind, would you change your choice for the Wild? I don't follow the prospects enough, but I wouldn't be surprised if they make a surprise reach down again if they saw a good enough skater. Are there any guys in the 15-30 range who have better skating skills than kids in the 10-15 range?

Brock

Feb 27, 2002
The GTA
ceber said:
Initially, the primary focus for the Wild has been getting good skaters. I don't think that's really changed a whole lot lately. Also, they seem to prefer taking offensive talent with their first few picks. Additionally, it's starting to look like we may be drafting 11th. With those points in mind, would you change your choice for the Wild? I don't follow the prospects enough, but I wouldn't be surprised if they make a surprise reach down again if they saw a good enough skater. Are there any guys in the 15-30 range who have better skating skills than kids in the 10-15 range?

In doing this again now...I probably would change my draft pick for the Wild. But saying who I'd change it to, would be moot because of the fact the standings have changed and guys have moved up and down.

In terms of a player with immense skating talent, then a guy like Enver Lisen comes to mind immediately.

Kings Fanatic

Sep 15, 2003
Brock, with the Kings in freefall and looking like they'll end up with #11, do you still think that Schwarz could last long enough for them to nab him? We need a franchise goalie in the worst way. If he isn't around we could use a future first line center since most of our good prospects are wingers. Who fits the bill? Thanks in advance and I gotta say you do a great job.

Brock

Feb 27, 2002
The GTA
Kings Fanatic said:
Brock, with the Kings in freefall and looking like they'll end up with #11, do you still think that Schwarz could last long enough for them to nab him? We need a franchise goalie in the worst way. If he isn't around we could use a future first line center since most of our good prospects are wingers. Who fits the bill? Thanks in advance and I gotta say you do a great job.

I think that Schwarz could very well last till 11th, same with Montoya. I could see these guys going anywhere from like 7-25. It's so tough to predict with goaltenders because some teams really don't need the goaltending prospect, but they'll select one anyway simply because they like the player so much. Or another thing that's always possible is that we overrated goaltenders simply because we figure, "hey somebody's got to take one sooner or later" and we put goalies higher then they might be selected simply to "throw one in there"

To be honest, I'm not crazy about either of these goaltenders. I truly believe that unless you are dealing with a talent like Marc Andre Fleury or Kari Lehtonen, a guy you could see yourself taking with a top 3 selection, then I'm not for drafting a goalie in the first round. We see too many goalies getting drafted in the second, third or fourth rounds who go on to be solid prospects. Guys like Ray Emery, Josh Harding, or Sharks draft pick Patrick Ehelechner, who for my money is the best goaltender in the OHL.

FearTheFlyers

Feb 3, 2003
Visit site
Vlad The Impaler said:
Bolland 13th: Sounds like a typical Sabres pick. i.e. wasted. I expect them to draft Chipchura. As an aside, I am completely unimpressed by the guy and think whoever picks him top 20 will not necessarly be sorry but will miss out on much better guys.

I agree 100%

Status
Not open for further replies.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad