Speculation: Fire Rob Blake Blow it Up Offseason Thread (update: Robitaille and Blake stay)

KingPuckChoo

Go kinGs Go !
Jun 24, 2007
What Bernstein is saying doesn't make sense if you're a rational person

He's saying that Luc & Rob are staying

That means, they won't buyout PLD (even if he suggests a buyout is possible). Why would the same GM buyout a guy that he just committed a 8 year relationship with?

This would also make PLD the highest paid forward on the Kings

This would mean that your highest paid player doesn't need to put in the work and effort

Therefore ruining the locker room atmosphere and culture even more

If i'm Byfield, and I look at a mix of PLD and how Eichel got massively paid after 3 yrs of doing nothing, I would see myself in between those two, and would demand $9m; as Byfield has already proven he's better than PLD

Also, if PLD stays, we will prolong our necessary retool

So, if all this is true

Enjoy the 24-25 season but i doubt you'll need to worry about facing the Oilers for a 4th straight year. You can rest knowing that will not happen.

Reactions: David Lunch

Kurrilino

Go Stoll Go
Aug 6, 2005
Calgary
What Bernstein is saying doesn't make sense if you're a rational person

He's saying that Luc & Rob are staying

That means, they won't buyout PLD (even if he suggests a buyout is possible). Why would the same GM buyout a guy that he just committed a 8 year relationship with?

This would also make PLD the highest paid forward on the Kings

This would mean that your highest paid player doesn't need to put in the work and effort

Therefore ruining the locker room atmosphere and culture even more

If i'm Byfield, and I look at a mix of PLD and how Eichel got massively paid after 3 yrs of doing nothing, I would see myself in between those two, and would demand $9m; as Byfield has already proven he's better than PLD

Also, if PLD stays, we will prolong our necessary retool

So, if all this is true

Enjoy the 24-25 season but i doubt you'll need to worry about facing the Oilers for a 4th straight year. You can rest knowing that will not happen.

Judging by former organization behavior, this is exactly how it will be.

I don't even get the outcry, the organization tolerated a 60 point #1center, and a #1 defender who can't keep opponents top players in check, both demanding $10 mill.

Suddenly people are angry when a non performing player demands $8mil.
Everyone mentioned missing Kings identity, here is your answer

bland

Jul 1, 2004
Brisson's son was also drafted by and is part of one of the most shady organizations in the Vegas Golden Knights. He's often within arm's reach of questionable ethical or dishonest situations.
The two worst contract issues in the last ten years, Kovalchuk and Dubois, were due to that menage a trois, and their failed Pacioretty heist nearly scuppered the rebuild.

Giving a 37 year old Kopitar a two year extension with the over 35 contract rules was such a completely unnecessary gamble as well.

The team didn't profit from any of those, but the agent sure did. We got incredibly lucky that Pacioretty didn't want to be a pawn.

tigermask48

Maniacal Laugh
Mar 10, 2004
R'Lyeh, Antarctica
I should make clear that Friedman and Marek weren't saying what would happen; they were speculating on next steps, to an extent. The Bergevin thing is the perception around the league if Blake steps down or is let go (without broader change). A Friedman source was the one who highlighted that AEG is a "patient" ownership group, which is where Friedman and Marek (without any context, as I noted above) started talking about length of tenures under AEG.
I get that, it's just incredibly disheartening and disappointing to hear that is what is being speculated.

Makes it feel like this is situation is going to get way worse before it gets any better, which is not a great place to be at.

This team really needs a new perspective brought in, and I was hoping it would be done now, and we could start looking to the future and getting excited. This just feels bad.

King'sPawn

Enjoy the chaos
Jul 1, 2003
The two worst contract issues in the last ten years, Kovalchuk and Dubois, were due to that menage a trois, and their failed Pacioretty heist nearly scuppered the rebuild.

Giving a 37 year old Kopitar a two year extension with the over 35 contract rules was such a completely unnecessary gamble as well.

The team didn't profit from any of those, but the agent sure did. We got incredibly lucky that Pacioretty didn't want to be a pawn.
Agreed with all of this, even the Kopitar part (of which we usually disagree).

Reactions: chris kontos

DoktorJeep

B2B GM of the Summer Champion
Aug 2, 2005
OC
I should make clear that Friedman and Marek weren't saying what would happen; they were speculating on next steps, to an extent. The Bergevin thing is the perception around the league if Blake steps down or is let go (without broader change). A Friedman source was the one who highlighted that AEG is a "patient" ownership group, which is where Friedman and Marek (without any context, as I noted above) started talking about length of tenures under AEG.
In the radio hit Bernstein did with Montreal radio yesterday (at 3:20 of the audio), he gave out the info about the patient ownership group and length of tenures, near verbatim.

So, he is a potential source for Friedman, or they have the same "source". My guess is that DB is really the only external source for Kings tea in the whole market. That being said, he covered a lot of major points in that interview less than 24 hours after elimination. Which to me suggests him being fed the talking points by management. Talking points that had been settled on well before the final game.

To start with, he "predicts" both Luc and Rob are back for one more year. In addition to ownership being patient and hands off, he says that there are no internal factions wanting to take Luc and Rob's jobs because they've hired people under them who like working for them. So, the can is kicked down the road another season.

The major changes will be the coach, the system, and the goalie. And ownership won't be ready to sign off on buying out Dubois because paying someone $27M to not play is not acceptable. The only way Dubois leaves is via trade. And given his NMC kicks in this summer, that is a very short window from now.

Chazz Reinhold

Sep 6, 2005
The Stanley Cup
In the radio hit Bernstein did with Montreal radio yesterday (at 3:20 of the audio), he gave out the info about the patient ownership group and length of tenures, near verbatim.

So, he is a potential source for Friedman, or they have the same "source". My guess is that DB is really the only external source for Kings tea in the whole market. That being said, he covered a lot of major points in that interview less than 24 hours after elimination. Which to me suggests him being fed the talking points by management. Talking points that had been settled on well before the final game.

To start with, he "predicts" both Luc and Rob are back for one more year. In addition to ownership being patient and hands off, he says that there are no internal factions wanting to take Luc and Rob's jobs because they've hired people under them who like working for them. So, the can is kicked down the road another season.

The major changes will be the coach, the system, and the goalie. And ownership won't be ready to sign off on buying out Dubois because paying someone $27M to not play is not acceptable. The only way Dubois leaves is via trade. And given his NMC kicks in this summer, that is a very short window from now.
Thanks for the summary. That’s bleak.

DoktorJeep

Aug 2, 2005
OC
Thanks for the summary. That’s bleak.
No worries. One thing that stuck out to me was DB calling out the $27M number as why a Dubois buyout wasn't likely. So, I looked at the buyout calculator year by year for the term of the deal, and the numbers are interesting.

YearTotal Cost (M$)Total Savings (M$)
2024 (25 years old)15.831.7
2024 (26 years old)31.715.8

The 1/3 vs 2/3 buyout is a significant factor.

Fat Elvis

El Guapo
Dec 25, 2003
On Lebowski's rug
Visit site
This season has been the least enjoyable in quite some time. If changes aren't made to the decision makers and it's more of the same for next season, then they may as well get custom fitted for the nicest set of golf clubs because they sure as hell won't be playing playoff hockey. It wouldn't be as bad if there was something to look forward to next season, but it's sounding like more of the same. Gd Dammit!! Road Apples

DoktorJeep

Aug 2, 2005
OC
Of course, they didn’t want the same thing to happen to them that they did to DL.
We're truly screwed as fans. Ownership is checked out. They're done developing DTLA and have given up on the NFL. There is zero incentive for them to make sacrifices to build a champion. Dan Beckerman is an idiot who believed the team was a contender 7 years ago and the people he was putting in charge were the ones to make that happen. The guy's biggest accomplishment is the Taylor Swift concert revenue record.

Frankly, AEG is probably making more money off concerts at Staples & MS theater, then the Lakers, then the Clippers, and then the Kings. I wouldn't be surprised if they made more money from stuff like Shen Yun shows than the Kings. They are checked out and hands off. And as long as the team makes the playoffs, nothing will change.

Reactions: crassbonanza

Schrute farms

LA Kings: new GM wanted -- inquire within
Jul 7, 2020
  • Haha
Reactions: kingsholygrail

GameNight

Dec 5, 2021
Where are they building that Brightline station again? The franchise at the other end of the line, I mean they are just polar opposites of each other

Reactions: chris kontos

Gjwrams

A Know Nothing Fool
Mar 4, 2019
If Rob and Luc stay, I’m sure it will be more of the same, visionless future, stifling of the kids growth, and a for certain stupid trade.

I am becoming very disinterested in the Kings, and for hockey loving geek like me, that is saying something.

Thank goodness for the Dodgers, they are a well run organization, at least until playoff time.

chris kontos

Feb 28, 2023
If this is true, they deserve nothing but failure. I hope when Blake is surfing that a great white gets him. A shark would be poetic justice.
at this point if the off ice management stays the same, we are the FISH getting sharked.
all these comments sound like a guy at a poker game who is looking around at the other players trying to figure out who the mark is... as it slowly dawns on him that he is the mark.

Last edited:

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad