Fire Rob Blake Blow it Up Offseason Thread

tigermask48

Maniacal Laugh
Mar 10, 2004
R'Lyeh, Antarctica
What the same people that we were predicting we would get swept? Oh look we won in game 2

Lol. Two people voted the Kings would get swept in that poll. People were saying they hope the team gets swept to accelerate change, but the overwhelming majority of people have the series going 6-7 games.
But sure, just make stuff up for the heck of it I guess.

I also love how you wait until AFTER a game 2 Kings win to post this. Real show of confidence there. You're doing exactly what you are saying the rest of us are doing in your reply to Herby.

GoldenBearHockey

Jan 6, 2014
I would like to hear about this risk.

So why is it risky to full rebuild and have a chance of a better future vs a well know solution that isn't winning the cup as well?
Someone?

Really? Edmonton did a full rebuild, started in 2010 with Hall, hows that working out for them, that started a string of 6 top 5 picks, and 3 top 10 picks, and nothing to show for it yet.

Detroit started a full rebuild in 2018, 6 consectutive top 10 picks, nothing to show

Buffalo in 2013, 10 straight top 10 picks, nothing to show

Ottawa in 2018 etc...

Columbus....

The league is littered with teams that have rebuilt, and rebuilt, and rebuilt, and rebuilt.....

Statto

HFBoards Sponsor
Sponsor
May 9, 2014
Really? Edmonton did a full rebuild, started in 2010 with Hall, hows that working out for them, that started a string of 6 top 5 picks, and 3 top 10 picks, and nothing to show for it yet.

Detroit started a full rebuild in 2018, 6 consectutive top 10 picks, nothing to show

Ottawa in 2018 etc...

Columbus....

The league is littered with teams that have rebuilt, and rebuilt, and rebuilt, and rebuilt.....
There is no absolute right or wrong way to do it, retooling or rebuilding. Much depends on drafting, your ‘scaffolding’ veteran players and management of the cap. You need to use assets wisely but much also depends on deal other GM’s are supposed to make. So statements that we should trade a player non of us wants for player x,y,z is always comical.

However whichever path you take you have to commit to it. I think that is where we’ve struggled because of the pivot and apparent rush to get into the playoffs (for whatever reason). I’ve always felt like it came from Luc but I guess it’s possible it came from above him. Perhaps AEG wanted the revenue stream after Covid but that’s a guess. Even though I didn’t agree with every move made by Blake it always felt like there was a plan and everyone seemed aligned. Then they pivoted and since then everything has felt rushed and disjointed.

I always felt the Fiala trade was good value and I really like him as a player but does he fit? The goaltending is an obvious faff and then there is the PLD trade. It seemed desperate in that there are so many questions around him PLUS even if we got the best version of him every night, it’s an overpayment.

If you are working to the right plan/strategy you get the right player at the right price. You always wait until those conditions are met but they clearly forced/rushed the deal.

Even if we get a deep run or two now, I really feel like they missed an opportunity. We could have had a team that would be highly competitive for a decade. Other teams getting it wrong also doesn’t get anyone off the hook. Equally I accept what they are trying to do is very, very hard… although that is why patience is so important.

That all said, sometimes you screw up and somehow pull it off anyway. Maybe they catch lightening in a bottle at the right moment and in which case I don’t care about any of the errors. There isn’t a championship team that hasn’t had a few errors on it’s journey.

GoldenBearHockey

Jan 6, 2014
There is no absolute right or wrong way to do it, retooling or rebuilding. Much depends on drafting, your ‘scaffolding’ veteran players and management of the cap. You need to use assets wisely but much also depends on deal other GM’s are supposed to make. So statements that we should trade a player non of us wants for player x,y,z is always comical.

However whichever path you take you have to commit to it. I think that is where we’ve struggled because of the pivot and apparent rush to get into the playoffs (for whatever reason). I’ve always felt like it came from Luc but I guess it’s possible it came from above him. Perhaps AEG wanted the revenue stream after Covid but that’s a guess. Even though I didn’t agree with every move made by Blake it always felt like there was a plan and everyone seemed aligned. Then they pivoted and since then everything has felt rushed and disjointed.

I always felt the Fiala trade was good value and I really like him as a player but does he fit? The goaltending is an obvious faff and then there is the PLD trade. It seemed desperate in that there are so many questions around him PLUS even if we got the best version of him every night, it’s an overpayment.

If you are working to the right plan/strategy you get the right player at the right price. You always wait until those conditions are met but they clearly forced/rushed the deal.

Even if we get a deep run or two now, I really feel like they missed an opportunity. We could have had a team that would be highly competitive for a decade. Other teams getting it wrong also doesn’t get anyone off the hook. Equally I accept what they are trying to do is very, very hard… although that is why patience is so important.

That all said, sometimes you screw up and somehow pull it off anyway. Maybe they catch lightening in a bottle at the right moment and in which case I don’t care about any of the errors. There isn’t a championship team that hasn’t had a few errors on it’s journey.

32 teams in the league, at any time, you have 8-10 contenders, 8-10 bottoming/rebuilding teams, and the rest are trying to catch lightening in a bottle,

I agree with most of what you said, I think Fiala fit a huge need at the time, and still does, a dynamic shifty winger.....yea he's prone to some really bonehead shit, but there's not a player on the team that can do what he does with the puck...

Reactions: Surf Nutz

Statto

HFBoards Sponsor
Sponsor
May 9, 2014
32 teams in the league, at any time, you have 8-10 contenders, 8-10 bottoming/rebuilding teams, and the rest are trying to catch lightening in a bottle,

I agree with most of what you said, I think Fiala fit a huge need at the time, and still does, a dynamic shifty winger.....yea he's prone to some really bonehead shit, but there's not a player on the team that can do what he does with the puck...
I love Fiala and he brings something different but I don’t think he has a natural fit on any one line or is there someone he ‘must’ play with. Maybe that’s ok but it feels like a Hail Mary type signing that would be what takes you over the top at the deadline. It doesn’t feel like he fitted in a specific spot in the lineup which is normally what would happen when you get a player. I think they traded for him and then tried to figure out what to do with him, because everyone surely knew he wasn’t a guy to play with Kopitar.

I think he’s actually grown as a player and defensively is improving, but for me it was a strange time to make that gamble. It really just ties into my view in the strategy pivot and then rushing things.

GoldenBearHockey

Jan 6, 2014
I love Fiala and he brings something different but I don’t think he has a natural fit on any one line or is there someone he ‘must’ play with. Maybe that’s ok but it feels like a Hail Mary type signing that would be what takes you over the top at the deadline. It doesn’t feel like he fitted in a specific spot in the lineup which is normally what would happen when you get a player. I think they traded for him and then tried to figure out what to do with him, because everyone surely knew he wasn’t a guy to play with Kopitar.

I think he’s actually grown as a player and defensively is improving, but for me it was a strange time to make that gamble. It really just ties into my view in the strategy pivot and then rushing things.

Maybe, but Fiala has meshed with Danault, Dubois, Lizotte, Byfield etc, is it a struggle finding a spot for him, maybe, I don't think playing him with Lizotte and Lewis worked at all lol, but again, there's no one on LA that can do what he does,

Reactions: funky and Statto

Kurrilino

Go Stoll Go
Aug 6, 2005
Calgary

Ottawa in 2018 etc...

Columbus....

The league is also littered with teams that didn't win the cup, i don't see the point here.

I always go with the unproven but upside versus the proven non cup winning.
It's also very exiting to watch the draft when being a low picker.
Way better then the usual 1st round exist, no chance in winning the cup but also to far away from good picks while trapped in the lower half of mediocrity forever

GoldenBearHockey

Jan 6, 2014
The league is also littered with teams that didn't win the cup, i don't see the point here.

Way better then the usual 1st round exist, no chance in winning the cup but also to far away from good picks while trapped in the lower half of mediocrity forever

Somehow, I see the bold happening a lot for you in life....

• Love
Reactions: Surf Nutz

KINGS17

Smartest in the Room
Apr 6, 2006

You are correct. There are no guarantees that going into a full rebuilding mode will lead to contending for another Stanley Cup. It takes more than just stockpiling picks and prospects by trading vets and refusing to trade your own picks for a quick fix.

In addition to stockpiling assets, a GM also must use those assets wisely. Some of those assets will become cornerstones for a contending team. Other assets will be used to add the pieces a team needs via trades.

The path the Kings are currently on is guaranteed to result in continued mediocrity and permanent residence in the black hole of the NHL. At least with a complete tear down and rebuild there is a chance for contention.

Reactions: Bandit

Herby

Now I can die in peace
Feb 27, 2002
Mullett Lake, MI
So many fans in here that just love negativity so they can happily say I told you so if they are right or be happily surprised if they are wrong. Same people I was arguing with saying Byfield is bust last year are saying blow up the team. Also the same people I was arguing with of Kopitar is good enough to be a #1 center, Brown isn't a good enough caption before the team went on a cup run in 2012. You guys can continue to wallow here in your misery or we can actually let the playoffs play themselves before we talk about the off-season.

This team has not won a playoff series or finished higher than 3rd place in the division under this management team, while spending up to the cap and trading multiple 1st and 2nd round picks as well as either the best or 2nd best player they drafted, before he ever played a game but people are being overly negative?

The floor is yours, tell us why we should be optimistic or happy with how the Kings have been built?

Oh and your hypothetical "tell everyone how right they or are be happily wrong" is nothing compared to people who, whether they are right or wrong, will tell members who have been posting on this forum for in many cases 15-20 years that they "Aren't true fans" or "Go be a Ducks fan", this is a common angle from people like Axl, Muzz and others who can't fathom how people aren't happy to be returning to the turn of the century Kings.

Last edited:

Schrute farms

LA Kings: new GM wanted -- inquire within
Jul 7, 2020
You are correct. There are no guarantees that going into a full rebuilding mode will lead to contending for another Stanley Cup. It takes more than just stockpiling picks and prospects by trading vets and refusing to trade your own picks for a quick fix.

In addition to stockpiling assets, a GM also must use those assets wisely. Some of those assets will become cornerstones for a contending team. Other assets will be used to add the pieces a team needs via trades.

The path the Kings are currently on is guaranteed to result in continued mediocrity and permanent residence in the black hole of the NHL. At least with a complete tear down and rebuild there is a chance for contention.
Blake was good at stock piling assets once they went the rebuild path. But as you mention above, it was using those assets and turning them into something that was the problem for him.

It reminds me of the Seinfeld show bit where Jerry is at the airport rental car desk and talking 'reservations'. "See, you know how to take the reservation, you just don’t know how to hold the reservation and that’s really the most important part of the reservation, the holding. Anybody can just take them.”
That's Blake as a GM in a nutshell.

Surf Nutz

Hockey Remote Viewer With A Frozen Finger
May 16, 2022
In the tube
clubnami.com
This team has not won a playoff series or finished higher than 3rd place in the division under this management team, while spending up to the cap and trading multiple 1st and 2nd round picks as well as either the best or 2nd best player they drafted, before he ever played a game but people are being overly negative?

The floor is yours, tell us why we should be optimistic or happy with how the Kings have been built?

Oh and your hypothetical "tell everyone how right they or are be happily wrong" is nothing compared to people who, whether they are right or wrong, will tell members who have been posting on this forum for in many cases 15-20 years that they "Aren't true fans" or "Go be a Ducks fan", this is a common angle from people like Axl, Muzz and others who can't fathom how people aren't happy to be returning to the turn of the century Kings.

Gotta get in to win.

No point in being a 90's Edmonton or Buffalo etc.

A bird in the hand is worth 3 in the bush.

But hey thanks for rehashing with some brevity for a change.

Sincerely,

I am not Jake Muzzin

(Sorry Jake, Herbie gets frostbite in the upper extremities)

Reactions: CowMix

CowMix

Go Kings Go!
Feb 12, 2006

No matter how the team is built you won't be optimistic or happy that's the whole point, people like you strive to be negative, its really sad way to be a fan. We're already starting an off-season thread and circle jerk firing Blake after 1 game?

The Kings are in the playoffs, that is something to be optimistic about. Anything can happen in the playoffs, teams make cinderella runs all the time. Its not like we are a black hole team like Dean always talked about that is finishing out of a playoff spot and not getting a high draft pick.

And don't give me some BS how you are posting for so long so you know better, I'm not some new poster either get out of here with that BS. I never called you not a true fan, your just a bigger fan of your own ego. Have fun on my block list.

chris kontos

Feb 28, 2023
It's not like we all didn't see this coming.
I expected game 3's result for game 2.

Our only hope is that Beckerman fires everyone and that Luc isn't allowed to promote his buddy Marc.
the bizarre quality of the personell moves, trades etc and many of the decisions made make me wonder who was actually calling the shots. was it brisson? some pointed to bergevin. organization displays charachteristics of a laissez-faire mgmt style where no one really wanted to take charge. one things for sure- it wasnt hard to predict the present results. sadly enough.

chris kontos

Feb 28, 2023
We would be interested in Kalyev for a late 1st.

We got a bunch of young defenseman that are NHL ready and top 4 potential.

Don't even mention PLDonkey or I'm burning down your outhouse.
Id like to see arty go to a professional organization that would give him a shot. Habs would be a good fit.
Id even be willing to thrown in pld as a bonus add on!

• Haha
Reactions: tigermask48

bland

Jul 1, 2004
No matter how the team is built you won't be optimistic or happy that's the whole point, people like you strive to be negative, its really sad way to be a fan. We're already starting an off-season thread and circle jerk firing Blake after 1 game?

The Kings are in the playoffs, that is something to be optimistic about. Anything can happen in the playoffs, teams make cinderella runs all the time. Its not like we are a black hole team like Dean always talked about that is finishing out of a playoff spot and not getting a high draft pick.

And don't give me some BS how you are posting for so long so you know better, I'm not some new poster either get out of here with that BS. I never called you not a true fan, your just a bigger fan of your own ego. Have fun on my block list.
The Kings have won 7 playoff games in 9 years.

HabsAddict

Feb 27, 2002
Visit site
Id like to see arty go to a professional organization that would give him a shot. Habs would be a good fit.
Id even be willing to thrown in pld as a bonus add on!
We got Dach as our 2C and unfortunatly we lost him for last season when he started to look like a star.

If he's got bad dandruff attitude, meaning aggressive and hard working, he would be a perfect fit.

Reactions: Raccoon Jesus

chris kontos

Feb 28, 2023
We got Dach as our 2C and unfortunatly we lost him for last season when he started to look like a star.

If he's got bad dandruff attitude, meaning aggressive and hard working, he would be a perfect fit.
How about blake lizotte?
Put him on a line with gallagher and they would drive your opponents into nervous breakdowns

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad