Confirmed with Link: Fire Pete DeBoer - just kidding - HIRED

BG44

Jul 19, 2021
Watch our PP be top 5 next season lol

I'm not defending the signing, but I was honestly curious what San Jose's PP looked like because I've only ever seen those 2 full seasons in Vegas referenced with Spott.

The first stat I checked was 2015-16 to 2018-19, Spott's full seasons in San Jose. They were 6th overall in the PP compared to the rest of the league for that time period. In the individual seasons, they were 3rd, 25th, 16th, and 6th. I'm not familiar with Spott's role in Toronto, but in 2014-15, the Leafs were 7th in the league on the PP.

He always felt like a package deal with DeBoer so I'm not disappointed or surprised this turned out as it did. We'll just have to see how it goes for him in Dallas.

starsfan86

Sep 27, 2006
I'm not defending the signing, but I was honestly curious what San Jose's PP looked like because I've only ever seen those 2 full seasons in Vegas referenced with Spott.

The first stat I checked was 2015-16 to 2018-19, Spott's full seasons in San Jose. They were 6th overall in the PP compared to the rest of the league for that time period. In the individual seasons, they were 3rd, 25th, 16th, and 6th. I'm not familiar with Spott's role in Toronto, but in 2014-15, the Leafs were 7th in the league on the PP.

He always felt like a package deal with DeBoer so I'm not disappointed or surprised this turned out as it did. We'll just have to see how it goes for him in Dallas.
As long as he doesn’t put Suter or Faksa on the pp….

Vakarte

May 30, 2022

Regarding San Jose's PP from 2015-2016 to 2018-2019, they have a mix of getting shots from inf ront of the net, left circle, and from the point (probably cause Burns was one of the better shooters from the point).

1656706217763.png

1656706229420.png

1656706248115.png

1656706263906.png

Attachments

• 1656706331809.png
    1656706331809.png
    126 KB · Views: 2

Spotty 2 Hotty

Special teams, special plays, special players
Feb 28, 2008
ATX
Aside from a hot start, I though our PP was pretty much dogshit last season too, so I dunno why folks are sending us condolences messages. :laugh:

BfantZ

Jun 22, 2017
Coaching is only gonna make a small difference with this team . There still gonna be battling for a playoff spot and searching for offense come next deadline unless they can actually aquire some players .

ElGuapo

^Plethora of piñatas
Nov 30, 2010
Nomad

NWSharkie

Nov 4, 2018
PNW
Regarding San Jose's PP from 2015-2016 to 2018-2019, they have a mix of getting shots from inf ront of the net, left circle, and from the point (probably cause Burns was one of the better shooters from the point).

View attachment 563965
View attachment 563966
View attachment 563967
View attachment 563968
$.02 from a Sharks fan?

Spott's PP in San Jose was heavily built around the Burns-Pavelski connection. Most of the offense was built around shots from the point, and it worked really well with a net-front guy like Pavelski who is great about finding soft areas of coverage just off the net. That bottom graphic is just about 100% Burns in a one-timer position and Pavelski in front.

Where it struggled (and eventually fell apart) was that the rest of the setup was pretty static and SJ didn't have dynamic shooters on the half-wall. Not a lot of movement, and when defenders started keying on the points/Burns, he'd get a lot of shots blocked leading to chances the other way.

The 5 minute major against VGK is probably the best example of that PP when it's all working; goals came from Karlsson at the point to Labanc at the half-wall, Hertl in the high slot and Meier in front of the net. If Robertson can offer a shooting threat from the hashmarks or below, Dallas can be equally dynamic with Heiskanen playing the distributor. If Miro ends up having to hold the puck for too long without a threat below him, Spott's system doesn't have a ton of options to offer him.

jonu

Dec 11, 2014
Moon
$.02 from a Sharks fan?

Spott's PP in San Jose was heavily built around the Burns-Pavelski connection. Most of the offense was built around shots from the point, and it worked really well with a net-front guy like Pavelski who is great about finding soft areas of coverage just off the net. That bottom graphic is just about 100% Burns in a one-timer position and Pavelski in front.

Where it struggled (and eventually fell apart) was that the rest of the setup was pretty static and SJ didn't have dynamic shooters on the half-wall. Not a lot of movement, and when defenders started keying on the points/Burns, he'd get a lot of shots blocked leading to chances the other way.

The 5 minute major against VGK is probably the best example of that PP when it's all working; goals came from Karlsson at the point to Labanc at the half-wall, Hertl in the high slot and Meier in front of the net. If Robertson can offer a shooting threat from the hashmarks or below, Dallas can be equally dynamic with Heiskanen playing the distributor. If Miro ends up having to hold the puck for too long without a threat below him, Spott's system doesn't have a ton of options to offer him.

An actual hf post that is worth the $.02 as advertised. I have witnessed a miracle.

BG44

Jul 19, 2021
Peter DeBoer gave Bob Boughner his first job in the NHL, and DeBoer re-hired him immediately after getting fired by Florida. Dallas for a while has had 3 assistants. I wonder if there's a chance Bob Boughner fills that 3rd role with Dallas now that he's been fired by San Jose.

Troy McClure

Suter will never be scratched
Mar 12, 2002
South of Heaven
A full season of watching DeBoer get more out of the Stars throughout the lineup and in the standings made me look at what I think are two big changes he made to Bowness hockey:

- line construction - Bowness still likes the idea of building a checking line who plays 15 minutes a game and is not asked to contribute any offense. We saw him put two veteran wingers beside Faksa and kept rolling them out game after game despite both fancy stats and real stats telling us playing this line so much was hurting the team. DeBoer does not believe in checking lines. This slight change in belief means Bowness is happy with 1/4 of a game being played by a line getting outscored while DeBoer instead wants each of his lines to try to outscore their opponents.

- third periods - this season, the Stars scored more goals in third periods than the first or second. And it's not like they did this because of a need for comeback wins. They went into the majority of their games leading after two and still added to the total. To compare to last season:

Bowness:
Number of games leading or tied after two: 55
Goals for by period: 66-83-74 (-19 in third periods)
Shot differential by period: -31 +12 -40

DeBoer:
Number of games leading or tied after two: 65
Goals for by period: 86-94-97 (+32 in third periods)
Shot differential by period: +53 +66 +62

My point here is our joke about Bowness trying to turtle for a full third period was very real. DeBoer went into third periods chasing fewer games but still had his foot on the gas. The Stars kept attacking. Bowness instead tried to sit on whatever lead or even tie they had.

My bigger point is it's very clear the Stars threw last season away by hanging onto a bad coach who was holding the team back. Bowness should never have been allowed to finish the season.

serp

Jan 17, 2016
A full season of watching DeBoer get more out of the Stars throughout the lineup and in the standings made me look at what I think are two big changes he made to Bowness hockey:

- line construction - Bowness still likes the idea of building a checking line who plays 15 minutes a game and is not asked to contribute any offense. We saw him put two veteran wingers beside Faksa and kept rolling them out game after game despite both fancy stats and real stats telling us playing this line so much was hurting the team. DeBoer does not believe in checking lines. This slight change in belief means Bowness is happy with 1/4 of a game being played by a line getting outscored while DeBoer instead wants each of his lines to try to outscore their opponents.

- third periods - this season, the Stars scored more goals in third periods than the first or second. And it's not like they did this because of a need for comeback wins. They went into the majority of their games leading after two and still added to the total. To compare to last season:

Bowness:
Number of games leading or tied after two: 55
Goals for by period: 66-83-74 (-19 in third periods)
Shot differential by period: -31 +12 -40

DeBoer:
Number of games leading or tied after two: 65
Goals for by period: 86-94-97 (+32 in third periods)
Shot differential by period: +53 +66 +62

My point here is our joke about Bowness trying to turtle for a full third period was very real. DeBoer went into third periods chasing fewer games but still had his foot on the gas. The Stars kept attacking. Bowness instead tried to sit on whatever lead or even tie they had.

My bigger point is it's very clear the Stars threw last season away by hanging onto a bad coach who was holding the team back. Bowness should never have been allowed to finish the season.

It was widely reported their option to hire in season to replace Bowness was Rick Tocchet. I'm fine with how it played out in the end. Got to hire an expierenced veteran coach after the season to replace the outdated coach .

piqued

nos merentur hoc
Nov 22, 2006
Positives
Overall style of play​
No turtle​
Made Benn assertive again, somehow​
Forced Wyatt into lineup and left him alone as 2C​
Got #1 PP right​
Didn't try to reinvent the wheel with the top line​

Negatives
Lundkvist/Suter situation, this will hold the team back from its max potential​
Oettinger's overall workload was excessive IMO​
3 on 3, how does it work?​

All in all easily a passing grade

Reactions: LT

Azzuri

Feb 6, 2017
DeBoer surprised me in a positive ways this season. Especially after watching his teams in the past.

The goalie thing is real. He handled it poorly in Vegas and rode Oet into the ground. Thats about my only complaint with him.

We heard Spotts' PP was terrible but we finished top 5. So that was obviously a bit more on players/luck.

I'd love him to give Nils more rope but its becoming pretty obvious Nils did himself no favors defensively as well.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad