Half-Assed GDT: Fire guys vs. music note men

Status
Not open for further replies.

Joshuar56

Apr 11, 2019
i like when the blues play a team like this, brings out the best in them aslong as the goaltending is good.

flames/blues series would be a fun watch TBH i hope it happens, aslong as we get the goaltending its a series we would win too.
With as dirty as the flames are? No thanks...
If they make the playoffs (which I doubt) let them play Colorado first.

Last edited:
Reactions: Cotton McKnight

Dr Robot

Nov 3, 2011
Something to point out about our icetime. Our top 9 forwards ice time was between 14:12 - 17:42. Special teams plays a big part of those numbers but Kyrou is the guy with 14:12 TOI. Not forcing your top line to play 20+ minutes every night is a huge positive.

Robb_K

Apr 26, 2007
NordHolandNethrlands
Only half the season has been played, and The Blues have 7 players in double figures in goals, on a pace for 20+ goals, and 2 more are on a per-game pace for 20+. That's enough to fill their Top 9 forwards. But Thomas, in The Top 6, has only 5, but is near a point a game pace. But this is the most balanced scoring team The Blues have ever had.

mw2noobbuster

Jun 28, 2016
Alberta, Canada
Only half the season has been played, and The Blues have 7 players in double figures in goals, on a pace for 20+ goals, and 2 more are on a per-game pace for 20+. That's enough to fill their Top 9 forwards. But Thomas, in The Top 6, has only 5, but is near a point a game pace. But this is the most balanced scoring team The Blues have ever had.
Indeed. This team we are witnessing is truly great, and I hope they have some success in the playoffs; if they are to qualify. Grab a defensemen at the TDL, and watch out, my good sir.

MissouriMook

Still just a Mook among men
Sponsor
Jul 4, 2014
The 1980-81 team might have been better, but your point is a good one.

Reactions: Meatball

ChicagoBlues

Terraformers
Oct 24, 2006
Perron's game is so well rounded. Has great offensive skills but he is also a tenacious checker.

An all-time great Blue (and a few other places).
I don't care how many more points he scores or rack up stats to be deemed "worthy" of jersey number retirement, but his love of and faith in St. Louis is unmatched.

DP57 to the rafters after he retires.

Robb_K

Apr 26, 2007
NordHolandNethrlands
The 1980-81 team might have been better, but your point is a good one.
The 1980-81 team "might" have been better. Their statistics are better. But remember that was during a highly inflated scoring period of The NHL's history, and should be viewed in that context. Also, despite the defensive flaws of this current team, when they play Berube's desired style of team defence, I think (as I remember) this current team's team defence is significantly better than the 1980-81 Blues team's was.

WATTAGE4451

Jan 4, 2018
Absolutely what I am hoping they will do - but NOT in a trade for Tarasenko.
I dont see how else you get a top defensemen the team needs. Nit onky do we need to trade talent, we need cap room to add one unless we are somehow getting a young premier defenseman making near league minimum but thats doubtful

Brian39

Apr 24, 2014
I dont see how else you get a top defensemen the team needs. Nit onky do we need to trade talent, we need cap room to add one unless we are somehow getting a young premier defenseman making near league minimum but thats doubtful
There are TDL options to upgrade the D without getting a top D man or a young premier D man. The level of salary and assets going the other way would be determined by who you are getting and whether or not it is a rental or longer solution. If we're willing to run a 22 man roster and deal with a couple shortages in the regular season, moving Scandella and Perunovich in a deal (or sending Perunovich back to the AHL) gives us roughly $4.6M in cap space. That is enough to just fit Chychrun if it is a long term play and it is more than enough to fit in most rentals if the other team retains (which is the norm in the TDL rental market).

All of Chychrun, Giordano, Lindholm, Gavrikov, Sanheim, and (sigh) Chiarot could be fit under the cap without moving Tarasenko and we've got a decent chunk of futures assets to make competitive offers for each of those players. Especially if we plan to keep Tarasenko for this run and then move him in the summer.

Reactions: Blueston

Linkens Mastery

Conductor of the TankTown Express
Jan 15, 2014
Hyrule
There are TDL options to upgrade the D without getting a top D man or a young premier D man. The level of salary and assets going the other way would be determined by who you are getting and whether or not it is a rental or longer solution. If we're willing to run a 22 man roster and deal with a couple shortages in the regular season, moving Scandella and Perunovich in a deal (or sending Perunovich back to the AHL) gives us roughly $4.6M in cap space. That is enough to just fit Chychrun if it is a long term play and it is more than enough to fit in most rentals if the other team retains (which is the norm in the TDL rental market).

All of Chychrun, Giordano, Lindholm, Gavrikov, Sanheim, and (sigh) Chiarot could be fit under the cap without moving Tarasenko and we've got a decent chunk of futures assets to make competitive offers for each of those players. Especially if we plan to keep Tarasenko for this run and then move him in the summer.
(If he comes back healthy and looking as good as he did last season)

Bolduc+Scandella for Edmundson+

MTL loves them some French Canadians.

Majorityof1

Mar 6, 2014
Central Florida
Do you guys see Husso being the starter moving forward? I really hope this is an indicator of his ability as a goaltender and not just a lucky hot streak.

He'll get more starts, maybe even the majority of starts for the near future. But he won't be deemed the clear cut guy. Binnington will have every chance to win his net back. Husso is crushing Binnington in terms of performance. But he also has had the easier workload. Take the last 2 games for example, Binner gets the road game where our guys have played 3 in 4 and Husso gets the home game where they have played 3 in 4. That doesn't completely account for the performance difference but it is a part of it. Husso has to prove he can handle the tougher assignments, and Binnington will get a chance to prove that he can get his game together. Both their contracts and Binnington's past performance demand we give Binnington every chance before the end of the year.

MissouriMook

Sponsor
Jul 4, 2014
He'll get more starts, maybe even the majority of starts for the near future. But he won't be deemed the clear cut guy. Binnington will have every chance to win his net back.
I'm interested as to why you feel this is the case when it was clear just a few starts into Binnington's 2019 magical run that Allen was not winning the net back from him. I see Binnington's struggles the last couple of seasons and Allen's in 2017-2019 as similar, and Husso has quite a few more starts under his belt this season and last than Binnington did when he became the clear cut starter three years ago. To me, Husso has built a better case, and if you remember back to 2019, Allen played fairly decent when given a lighter load as a backup but did not get his net back the way you're suggesting Binnington will.

Reactions: ChicagoBlues

Ridge1982

Nov 4, 2019
Well, Allen didn't win a Cup. JB has proven to show up when backed into a corner. We'll see what Husso's made of when he has to face COL or VGK in a seven game series.

Reactions: Meatball

MissouriMook

Sponsor
Jul 4, 2014
Well, Allen didn't win a Cup. JB has proven to show up when backed into a corner. We'll see what Husso's made of when he has to face COL or VGK in a seven game series.
That was three years ago. This is a “what have you done for me lately” business.

Reactions: i aint Dunn yet
Status
Not open for further replies.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad