Fire Deboer

Status
Not open for further replies.

Pinkfloyd

Oct 29, 2006
Folsom
Yea... considering the teams that are clear underdogs in the pacific that would grab PDB right away makes it an idiotic idea to even consider. I think sharks will keep PDB for 8 years. An average coach is good if hes there long enough, and PDB is that type of guy. I would have liked to see Goodrow and Hansen but owell...

Yeah except you don't keep or let go of someone based on what other people could do with him. You keep or let go of a coach based on how his team performs for him. Everything else is irrelevant. That excuse was used many times to keep McLellan but it doesn't matter if he goes on and wins elsewhere. If he's not getting the results from the team and they're not playing to the best of their abilities for that coach then he needs to go. You can still hold players accountable for that stuff as well but every coach has an expiration date and DeBoer is fast approaching his. I don't think I'd fire him this off-season but I wouldn't be opposed to letting him go.

OrrNumber4

Jul 25, 2002
DeBoer's not a bad coach and is a decent fit for the team. It is not apparent that he has lost the room; typically coaches stay on until that happens. Its hard to know which coaches, even established ones, would be good fits for the team.

Ideally, a GM would go off-the-board and hire an unconventional coach, but there is too much safety in failing conventionally.

Jaleel619

Nov 16, 2016
SJ
Honestly, the cards just didn't play out for us. (like always) this series was the story of our season with guys injured and having to makeshift brand new lines in important games to get by. With Sorenson's goals and Lebancs moments its tough but I'm disappointed we didn't get to see Goodrow-Fehr-Hansen or the evolution of Kane on the 3rd line.

Maybe a shake up after game 5 would have done something but the way the sharks came back in that game its tough. I mean we nearly won game 3 without Donskoi and Goodrow as the 3c and paul martin. Things just didn't play out with Goodrows injury keeping him out of the line up aswell as of course Thornton.

PDB made Vegas look beatable considering what we were dealing with. I don't know, I think at the end of the day DW will right the ship with Martin and Melker, and I'm sure at some point Demelo. And for Hansens well being I'm sure he can't wait to get the F out of San Jose.

And I don't know who made that excuse about Mclellan, I knew after the sharks lost to the ducks quietly in 2009, Mclellans the type of coach the other team wants you to have. I was scared when the Oilers got Mcdavid but elated when they hired Todd, and hes already hanging by a thread where Pete made the 2nd round without Thornton or Marleau. I mean come on guys, we have it pretty good from who we had.

Alwalys

Phu m.
May 19, 2010
i do think deboer has transitioned fairly well into the new nhl style, and has done well with what he has. but he remains too stubborn in certain areas and is not willing enough to trust players to grow into their roles within a sound system. that is a problem because with veterans, there isn't much room for growth. and when you meet that team or situation that is just not quite right, you bow out rather than have x-factor players step up.

Sharksfan83

Jul 27, 2010
If anyone said 6 months ago that we'd make the second round of the playoffs without Marleau and Thornton, they'd tell you that you're crazy. Put it into perspective.

tiburon12

Jul 18, 2009
If anyone said 6 months ago that we'd make the second round of the playoffs without Marleau and Thornton, they'd tell you that you're crazy. Put it into perspective.
Lol, if you want to read how people here actually think, wait until the cup is awarded. Until then this board will be full meltdown like it has been since the game finished.

Hyperbole city

Sharksfan83

Jul 27, 2010
I’m fairly proud of what was achieved this year tbh. We were never winning the cup. The best two teams left are in the other semi. And then the east is probably better again. We could easily have been up 3-0 after the first intermission tonight. That’s hockey.

Kegsey

Defense be scared, Hertl coming.
Oct 20, 2011
Canada
How is it apparent that Deboer lost the room? I would almost say that they follow everything he says so blindly and that's why they fail to make adjustments and keep doing the same thing when it isn't working.

seroes

May 3, 2016
California
Baffling lineup decisions aside, I don't want Deboar fired. At least not yet unless we decide to blow everything up and rebuild, but that won't happen. Give him 1 more year and let's see how the young talent evolves and steps into bigger roles.

Sharksrule04

Jul 23, 2010
New York, NY
Honestly I think this team overachieved this year. Coaching has something to do with that. The hate for Deboer here is weird and even more so annoying that it's over his selection of 6th d-man and 4th liners. This team wasn't supposed to make the playoffs this year according to a lot of "experts" and that's with Jumbo. They made the playoffs and a swept a series without him.

Disclaimer, I hate Demelo too and to a lesser extent Melker.

Reactions: coupe89

Quid Pro Clowe

Dec 28, 2008
To get back on topic, despite my feeling that the Sharks exceeded expectations this year, I would not be sad to see DeBoer go. I give most of the credit for the Sharks successes this year to the players.

I think that DeBoer is an above average (slightly) X's and O's coach. But I think this is more than counterbalanced by his stubbornness and apparent lack of humility. He evinces an arrogance that I believe is a detriment to the team. This arrogance is apparent in his haughty answers to the media, in his dealings with any player that dares to call into question their usage, and in his inability to see the flaws of those in his favor.

All that said, I'd be shocked if he were not back next year.
The favoritism bothers me more than other issues. I feel like with his system and ability to adjust that if he put up an optimal line up that this team would have faired better.

Hinterland

HFBoards Sponsor
Sponsor
Sep 29, 2016
I’m fairly proud of what was achieved this year tbh. We were never winning the cup. The best two teams left are in the other semi. And then the east is probably better again. We could easily have been up 3-0 after the first intermission tonight. That’s hockey.

Right. Should have been 3-0 but then, the idiot coach decided to put Kane back with Pavelski...
...and what exactly did they achieve? They eliminated a pathetic Anaheim squad that didn't even try to play hockey for three games. Still gotta win 4-0 first but that wasn't that much of an achievement. I agree that the Sharks were never gonna win the cup this season but they lost against a pretty average looking Vegas team that both Nashville and Winnipeg will eat alive if they come through. Sharks should have won this series but got embarrassed instead. I can't possibly be happy with this season. Too many ups and downs during the regular season, too. This team could do a lot better with a different coach.

DeadGhost

Ugistered Reger
Feb 15, 2010
I'm happy with PDB this year:
-He made the famed "Vegas adjustment" early on and it seemed to work favorably.
-The loss of Jumbo was huge. He was having a renaissance season up until his injury and the Sharks still managed the playoffs.
-They swept their first round series as a lower seed
-They brought the division winner to the brink in Round 2 without Jumbo and with 2/3rds of the top line nurising injury. Vegas escaped the first two rounds round relatively unscatched on the injury report.

My concerns:
-I see so much Lindy Ruff in PDB. The 3rd period shell when up a goal or two, the failure to clear the zone, seemingly having "his guys" that may not deserve the ice time but get it for who knows why.
-A short-handed situation or allowing the first goal in the Vegas series really seemed to throw the Sharks into a tailspin for long stretches. It was extremely evident in Game 6, where they pretty much spent the last half of the game in their own zone. Even in Game 5 when they went down 1-0 they looked like they were chasing. Obviously they got those 3 back late but there was no immediate response.

Hinterland

HFBoards Sponsor
Sponsor
Sep 29, 2016
I think DeBoer is arguably the best coach that this franchise has ever had. I'm just mad that they didn't fire McLellan a year earlier so they could have potentially gotten Laviolette.

Heck no. Laviolette is one of the few Coaches who are actually worse than DeBoer. He destroyed the confidence of his team with even more questionable lineup decisions than we're used to from DeBoer. He also gets the matchups wrong, just as he did last year. If the Preds lose the series tonight it's because Laviolette got humiliated by Maurice...

SnarkAttack

Registered Loser
Jan 18, 2011
East Bay, CA
I like DeBoer's system. I hate his linups and line combos.

We were told that he had issues with sticking with certain players an unreasonable amount. The first year, maybe. This year, definitely.

Reactions: Hinterland

TomasHertlsRooster

Don’t say eye test when you mean points
May 14, 2012
Fremont, CA

We were told that he had issues with sticking with certain players an unreasonable amount. The first year, maybe. This year, definitely.

Hertl was healthy scratched at one point during DeBoer’s first season here.

Hinterland

HFBoards Sponsor
Sponsor
Sep 29, 2016
Hertl was healthy scratched at one point during DeBoer’s first season here.

Meier got scratched this season despite playing very well just because he wasn't scoring playing 10mins on a line with Ward and Carpenter:facepalm:
But then again...I've seen worse. This fool Laviolette repeatedly scratched Craig Smith during last years playoffs and he scratched Kevin Fiala this year against Winnipeg because he took a penalty:facepalm::help::ha:
Result? Fiala comes back in, plays very well but fails to convert on his glorious chances. Only a complete moron would destroy the confidence of a youngster by scratching him for no reason and then expect him to save his sorry ass in the next game. Nashville wins the last game if Fiala scores the goals he should have scored.

Dicdonya

Jul 21, 2011
I don't care if we fire Deboer. However I want the decision to be made by a new GM potentially.

I think if our owner already knows that Thornton is planning to return, and there is a specific plan in place for next year (game plan to seriously try to get Karlsson/Tavares) , Keep DW for one more year, as firing him may affect Thornton's decision to return.

If Thornton returning is a question mark right now. Fire DW. Not because I hate him, or thinks hes has a done a horrible job, as I dont believe either of those things. However its been what, a decade? The Thornton/Marleau era is officially over, and DW has no hardware to show for it. I think it would be time to let the old guard go, and that includes DW. Time for new approaches, new ideas, to go along with the new identity of the Sharks post Thornton/Marleau.

Deboer is whatever, hes a fine coach, is fairly good at actually coaching, and makes noticeable adjustments which is a breath of fresh air after Mclellan. He just has some of the dumbest personnel choices. So if he leaves, I wont be upset, but think he's a good enough coach to keep around, and could coach a team to a cup IMO.

Hinterland

HFBoards Sponsor
Sponsor
Sep 29, 2016

That's actually a good post. His system is great indeed...just wish it would be a bit more flexible. If opponents adjust there doesn't seem to be much of a plan b. But yeah. DeBoer could be a great coach if he wouldn't play favourites and would he sometimes get the lines or matchups right. He clearly doesn't have a clue and his ice time distribution mostly also doesn't make sense.

Reactions: SnarkAttack

Mattb124

Apr 29, 2011
Some of you folks are delusional. Neither Deboer or Wilson are getting fired, as both are among the best at what they do across the NHL.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad