Finnish NHL rookies 2005-06

Status
Not open for further replies.

TK79

Jul 5, 2002
Helsinki, Finland
Visit site
I already posted this on the Finnish board as a reply, but I thought this topic also deserved it's own thread. I probably forgot some guys but here goes:

Kari Lehtonen Atlanta: Plays at least 50 games and is a serious candidate for the calder. Selected to all-rookie team

Ari Ahonen New Jersey: Plays 10-15 games as Brodeurs backup.

Antero Niittymäki: Plays 25-30 games for the Flyers and gives Esche good competition for the starting job. One of the best rookie goalies in the league.

Hannu Toivonen: Outplays Raycroft in camp, but ends up playing 20 odd games as the back-up.

Sean Bergenheim NY Islanders: Plays about half the season on Long Island. 10 minutes/game in a checking role, 10-15 points.

Mikko Koivu Minnesota: Plays the whole season as the Wild's 3th-4th line center and puts up about 20 points.

Jani Rita Edmonton (I think he's still technically a rookie): Fails to make the Oilers out of camp and is put on waivers, were he gets a second chance on a new team (WSH, MIN or ATL maybe). Ends up having a average rookie season in the NHL (10-15 points).

Valtteri Filppula Detroit: Really impresses and makes the team out of camp, but is sent down after a few games. Spends the rest of the season on the farm and has some growing pains.

Jussi Jokinen Dallas: Starts out on the farm, but earns a call-up sometime during the season. Excells in the AHL.

Tomi Mäki Calgary: Has a tough time getting minutes on Calgary's farm team.

Pekka Rinne Nashville: Has to play part of the season in the ECHL.

Jarkko Immonen NYR: Spends the whole season with the big-club, but has to sit in the press-box quite often. Ends up playing about 50 games and notches about 20 points.

Lauri Tukonen LA: Spends the whole season on the farm and experiences some growing pains.

Petteri Nokelainen NYI: Gets adapted to the NA game quicker than Tukonen, and earns a call up at some point during the season. Plays very well in the AHL.

Masi Marjamäki NYI: 3th-4th line AHL guy

Tuomas Pihlman NJ: see above

Ilkka Pikkarainen NJ: see above

Levitate

Jul 29, 2004
Ari Ahonen New Jersey: Plays 10-15 games as Brodeurs backup

isn't he signed to play overseas and isn't gonna be back this year?

Jarkko Immonen NYR: Spends the whole season with the big-club, but has to sit in the press-box quite often. Ends up playing about 50 games and notches about 20 points.

not sure why he'd sit in the press box a lot but that games to points ratio works for me :)

MojoJojo

Jan 31, 2003
Philadelphia
Visit site
TK79 said:
Jani Rita Edmonton (I think he's still technically a rookie): Fails to make the Oilers out of camp and is put on waivers, were he gets a second chance on a new team (WSH, MIN or ATL maybe). Ends up having a average rookie season in the NHL (10-15 points).

I believe the new CBA did away with waivers.

Starsdude

Jul 7, 2002
Visit site
Miettinen is still technically arookie I think and should see lots of time. I would like to see 15 goals and 25 assists especially if he plays some with Lets and Modano

Levitate

Jul 29, 2004
MojoJojo said:
I believe the new CBA did away with waivers.

it did away with the waiver draft, but players sent down still have to go through waivers if they're elligable, and now have to go through them again when they're called up

at least that's my understanding

MojoJojo

Jan 31, 2003
Philadelphia
Visit site
Levitate said:
it did away with the waiver draft, but players sent down still have to go through waivers if they're elligable, and now have to go through them again when they're called up

at least that's my understanding

I think the way the waiver rule is set up is to prevent teams from screwing their affiliate by calling guys up left and right rather than carrying a 23 man roster. I dont believe it automatically exposes players to waivers like under the old rules where some people went "unprotected" by necessity every year. Since no one has seen the CBA, just fragments (such as the rule protecting AHL players making over a certain amount), no one can really say with certainty. However, I believe there are provisions for guys on two way contracts, which I assume Rita is on.

Levitate

Jul 29, 2004
MojoJojo said:
I think the way the waiver rule is set up is to prevent teams from screwing their affiliate by calling guys up left and right rather than carrying a 23 man roster. I dont believe it automatically exposes players to waivers like under the old rules where some people went "unprotected" by necessity every year. Since no one has seen the CBA, just fragments (such as the rule protecting AHL players making over a certain amount), no one can really say with certainty. However, I believe there are provisions for guys on two way contracts, which I assume Rita is on.

yeah that's what i meant about the waiver draft. maybe that's not the right term for it, just what popped into my head

and of course it still depends on age, games played, etc when it comes to if a guy is affected by waivers

TK79

Jul 5, 2002
Helsinki, Finland
Visit site
MojoJojo said:

Rita has a one-way deal

gib

Feb 3, 2004
TK79 said:
Hannu Toivonen: Outplays Raycroft in camp, but ends up playing 20 odd games as the back-up.

Masi Marjamäki NYI: 3th-4th line AHL guy

Tuomas Pihlma n NJ: see above

Ilkka Pikkarainen NJ: see above

Good review TK.

I also think Hannu has a good chance to get some NHL experience, but I don`t know about outplaying Raycroft in camp.

Pihlman has tools and potential to be a lot more than 3th-4th line AHL guy, unlike Marjamäki and Pikkarainen. Different question is will Pihlman ever reach his potential in NA. If he can`t get at least 2nd line AHL spot this year, he should come back to Finland.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad