Finnish female player Sanni Hakala paralyzed during the game

ES

Feb 14, 2004
Finland
I don't know if this is the best forum to post this, but as this is familiar name from women's international hockey, I decided to put i there.

Some heartbreaking news from Sweden, where she has been playing for several years.

Sanni Hakala who represented FInland twice in the Olympics and four times in World Championships, achieving two Olympic bronze medals, one WC silver and two WC bronze medals, was injured last week after hitting the goal post head first. Today she posted an update in Instagram, sharing these news.

PavelBure10

The Russian Rocket
Aug 25, 2009
Okanagan
Just awful news. Hate to see anyone get injured this badly, or even killed playing a sport. My heart goes out to her and her family.

ChicagoBullsFan

Jun 6, 2015
Finland
Absolutely devastating news.
These news are something what you don't want to read of any hockey player.

But unfortunately injury risk is part of hockey and all sport and every pro athlete knows it.
I wish all the best for Sanni Hakala and her family.

Keep fighting Sanni and never give up. You have Finnish sisu to get over this.
Thanks to representing Team Finland in winter olympics and IIHF women's worlds
it was honour to watch you play and you were very good player. Thanks Sanni.

Reactions: Jussi

GAGLine

Sep 17, 2007
Awful news. I hope she can make a full recovery.

Are the nets anchored with pegs like they are in the NHL?

Bond

May 10, 2012

Yeah, saw the replay on twitter and it looks like a play that happens multiple times a night in the NHL

Reactions: GAGLine

Fatass

Apr 17, 2017
I’m assuming the women in Finland don’t make much money (if any) playing hockey and they play for the love of the game. Hopefully she gets all the medical and financial support needed to make the best recovery possible.

ChicagoBullsFan

Jun 6, 2015
Finland

If i should guess probably no.
But ufortunately i think that if the nets
would've been anchored i don't see it would have helped much in this case.

Opposite player tripped Hakala from behind.
And Hakala lost her skating balance and slide head first straight to goal posts.

ChicagoBullsFan

Jun 6, 2015
Finland
I’m assuming the women in Finland don’t make much money (if any) playing hockey and they play for the love of the game. Hopefully she gets all the medical and financial support needed to make the best recovery possible.
Women's hockey insurances are complete sad joke in Finnish hockey.
Also all Finnish women hockey players are really badly underpaid.

Finnish men's hockey team head coach Jukka Jalonen
commented Sanni Hakala's paralyzing yesterday and said
Finnish hockey association may have some financial help coming
for Sanni Hakala but he didn't stated how much and when it may happen.

Henna Malmberg who's media director in Finnish hockey association
said also yesterday Finnish hockey association is monitoring options
to support Sanni Hakala's financial support and rehab support as well
but even she didn't give any details when decisions will be made and they will be.

So far one option to support Sanni Hakala's financially
is that Finnish hockey association donates some if not all ticket selling moneys
what they will get from U18 WJC's next April when Finland hosts that tournament.

Last edited:

FiLe

Mr. Know-It-Nothing
Oct 9, 2009
Since the thread appears to contain some conflicting information about the incident, let's get a few things straight:

Both the rink and the equipment used were all up to modern standards. (The nets were anchored with pegs, etc.) It was simply a freak accident. As stated above, this is something that happens in almost every hockey game and usually the only result is an ordinary stoppage of play. But hockey is a contact sport and contact sports will never be 100% safe.

(In contrast, another thing that will never be 100% safe is driving a motor vehicle on a public road. So hopefully this won't deter anyone who loves playing hockey from playing hockey. Like driving in traffic, we accept the risk and move on.)

Also, the tax-payer funded specialized health care is top notch in Finland, so there should be no need to start any GoFundMes to help Sanni survive her medical bills. (The non-specialized variant may be a different story, though - the Public Health Centers one gets to visit to see a GP after catching some common bug are often understaffed.) Although, the club will likely pick up most of the tab anyway.

While there is a very distinct possibility that she will be confined to a wheelchair for the rest of her life, she is still young, so there is a chance that she can walk again some day. And who knows, perhaps with the advancement of medical science... Fingers crossed.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad