Finnish club to join KHL, future of ET

Muuri

Nov 14, 2009
If they set up a new team, it would get financially destroyed within few years.

Comrade Blunderbore

Генерал Файлюра
Mar 30, 2010
КПЗ
the footballer is Boris jr, son of Boris sr. and nephew of Arkadi. the kid is about as crap at football as his old men are at hockey business. i wonder how it all is even possible when Arkadi Rotenberg is KHL champion Dynamo Moscow owner and another person involved Gennadi Timchenko owns SKA St. Petersburg.

disgrace, utter disgrace.

vorky

@vorkywh24
Jan 23, 2010
the footballer is Boris jr, son of Boris sr. and nephew of Arkadi. the kid is about as crap at football as his old men are at hockey business. i wonder how it all is even possible when Arkadi Rotenberg is KHL champion Dynamo Moscow owner and another person involved Gennadi Timchenko owns SKA St. Petersburg.

disgrace, utter disgrace.

Timchenko does not own SKA. The rest is not worth to be commented.

Comrade Blunderbore

Генерал Файлюра
Mar 30, 2010
КПЗ
even if technically Timchenko doesn't own SKA, he is still an executive there and i am completely flabbergasted at the prospect of seeing two teams from different countries competing in same league under same guidance. imagine a Neftekhimik vs Ak Bars series that was a travesty in itself, but now on international level.

Jussi

Feb 28, 2002
Mojo Dojo Casa House
Haven't heard about that. All contracts here are individuals that I know. Some (newer) contracts could have a minimum buy out fee or then nothing. But if you don't have KHL clause, some KHL teams have paid crazy fees to buy out the players from here. (Vehanen, Wallinheimo etc.) But I'm not familiar with the new situation.

Pretty much every player that is borderline national team level has a KHL clause in his contract and it's a matter of which team will offer the player the best kind (meaning easiest fro the KHL club to buy out). During the season the 100K € or free seems to be the norm with free off-season transfer until a certain date. SM-Liiga has become a developer league but I'd rather see our players go to NHL (guaranteed transfer money) plus they'll develop more/better playing against the best players in the world. The past couple of Worlds have shown us that our KHL "star" players simply don't cut it against NHL players.

Jussi

Feb 28, 2002
Mojo Dojo Casa House
even if technically Timchenko doesn't own SKA, he is still an executive there and i am completely flabbergasted at the prospect of seeing two teams from different countries competing in same league under same guidance. imagine a Neftekhimik vs Ak Bars series that was a travesty in itself, but now on international level.

As was mentioned in the KHL Expansion thread at the KHL section, the Russian media is using Finnish media speculation as it's sources. On Finnish hockey message boards, some Jokerit fans "in the know" have assured it's only the Hartwall Areena that is being sold.

Comrade Blunderbore

Генерал Файлюра
Mar 30, 2010
КПЗ
hope so; but i think this could be but a stepping stone. Jokerit need Hartwall; Russian bosses could manupulate them. wish Finnish hockey execs ban Jokerit from joining the KHL; if new guys tried to create a new club there it'd be destined to fail.

Mogo

HFBoards Sponsor
Sponsor
Jun 26, 2002
hope so; but i think this could be but a stepping stone. Jokerit need Hartwall; Russian bosses could manupulate them. wish Finnish hockey execs ban Jokerit from joining the KHL; if new guys tried to create a new club there it'd be destined to fail.

The finnish hockey head man Kalervo Kammola is rumoured to be the head man mastering this deal between Jokerit and KHL

Finnpin

"internet"
Oct 10, 2005
Helsinki
I think this will be huge flop cause not many finns care about khl.
KHL and Hjallis then has to start marketing KHL here. Here is lots of people who care about good level of international hockey. Jokerit will lose some fans for sure but I'm sure many will stay and they manage to lure new ones too. But let's still wait till 16:30.

Edit. and talking about marketing

http://www.iltasanomat.fi/khl/art-1288578080279.html

But hopefully they understand to put the price low enough to lure many to that channel.

Last edited:

Finnpin

"internet"
Oct 10, 2005
Helsinki
Jokerit will lose fans but they may also gain more Russian fans who live in Finland and Helsinki.
Plus some "Karjala-lippis" people might want to see better level of hockey than in SM-liiga.

It's going to be a hard road but if they manage to get ok roster with some star Finnish players and some well known foreigners (played previously in SM-liiga maybe), it will be easier to sell the new product then.

Jussi

Feb 28, 2002
Mojo Dojo Casa House
The 2011 World Championships final had two teams where most of the players in each team played in the KHL.

That was two years ago. Jarkko Immonen declined big time, Niko Kapanen is semiretired from national team. Besides, Mikko Koivu and Tuomo Ruutu were the key players in the winning squad.

Hasa92

Aug 4, 2012
Finland
I know i get a lot of hate but if this is true then this is the greatest thing happened to Finnish hockey since the birth of Jari Kurri.

Personally i think that Sm-liiga should be removed completely, either the top clubs joining the KHL and the not so competetive teams like the one i'm cheering for (Ilves) dropping to Mestis.

If not KHL then an all nordic hockey league would be cool too, or both and the remaining teams could go to Mestis.

Peter25

Sep 20, 2003
Visit site
That was two years ago. Jarkko Immonen declined big time, Niko Kapanen is semiretired from national team. Besides, Mikko Koivu and Tuomo Ruutu were the key players in the winning squad.
Of course I meant the 2012 final between Russia and Slovakia.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad