WJC: Finland WJC Discussion

Status
Not open for further replies.

FiLe

Mr. Know-It-Nothing
Oct 9, 2009
kVNO8.jpg

Reporters are a credulous and superficial lot. I need a guise to strike facade into their hearts... I need to become the...

JdILm.jpg

Panopticon

Apr 20, 2004
Helsinki
Heh, I just realized I've been confusing Rasmus Ristolainen to Rasmus Rissanen this whole time. I didn't realize there could be two kids with parents so cruel to name them Rasmus, and with such similar last names as well.

Mestaruus

Apr 11, 2011
Zat's right, as stated earlier in this thread. Ullberg however is eligible. If he gets a year as SaiPa's starter, he should be more than able to handle it.

But once more, for posterity:

Ullberg

Määttä
Ristolainen
Pokka

Salomäki
Armia
MaG
Barkov
Aaltonen
Hännikäinen

are the players eligible next year as well. It's a nice core already.

And as far the coaching question goes, well... for simple fantasy, I'd love to see what Tuomas Tuokkola could do. Even if that means pulling double duty.

Raipe should've let Ullberg play 1 game this tourney to build up for next year, but then again it's understandable to let Gibson play the game vs Denmark so we have more clear view of how he's playing after the Canada fiasco, so we know who the backup goalie is, but then again Ullberg could've played a shutout and be a clear #2.

Mr Beginning

Jan 7, 2012
Looks like a certain Austrian with a moustache couldn't really deal with our semi-final loss either...

First post BTW, I've been lurking here for a few years already and finally decided to register. Yay!

Jussi

Feb 28, 2002
Mojo Dojo Casa House
Looks like a certain Austrian with a moustache couldn't really deal with our semi-final loss either...

First post BTW, I've been lurking here for a few years already and finally decided to register. Yay!

First post and you post a Hitler video, one most worn out "jokes" on the internet? :shakehead Son, I am disappoint. Unless you improve, I don't see a future for you on this team after the try-out.

FiLe

Mr. Know-It-Nothing
Oct 9, 2009
Raipe should've let Ullberg play 1 game this tourney to build up for next year, but then again it's understandable to let Gibson play the game vs Denmark so we have more clear view of how he's playing after the Canada fiasco, so we know who the backup goalie is, but then again Ullberg could've played a shutout and be a clear #2.
There's just this little issue that unlike in the men's competition, you can't dress your reserve goalie in WJCs unless either the starter or the backup is deemed unable to play. Might have something to do with it, just figurin'.

Harikkerk

Dec 27, 2011
Sweden

haha, it was actually kinda funny :nod:
Even tho i'm usually not a big fan of those hitler videos either :laugh:

Mara

May 10, 2011
Salomäki suffered a spleen injury already in the group stage, no wonder he seemed so mild towards the end. :shakehead

Mara

May 10, 2011
haha, it was actually kinda funny :nod:
Even tho i'm usually not a big fan of those hitler videos either :laugh:

Hopefully they get more people to watch Der Untergang, an AMAZING movie, easily one of the best I've ever seen.

Mestaruus

Apr 11, 2011
Salomäki suffered a spleen injury already in the group stage, no wonder he seemed so mild towards the end. :shakehead

He's not drafted yet right? Wonder if it can affect on his draft # or something? It was said on Iltalefti.fi that it's 6-weeks minimum, but sounds optimistic.

Mara

May 10, 2011
He's not drafted yet right? Wonder if it can affect on his draft # or something? It was said on Iltalefti.fi that it's 6-weeks minimum, but sounds optimistic.

He is drafted already, Nashville Predators 2nd round, 52 overall.

Mestaruus

Apr 11, 2011
What is this beef you guys have with your federation? Seems like you really hate those guys.

Because that one guy Kummola is the entire federation. He makes random decisions and everyone has to agree with him... Weirdest decisions to me by Kummola have been Helminen as WJC coach and hiring Doug Shedden as the Finnish national head coach. So two top positions a Finnish coach can have pretty much or let's say most valued in Finland. Maybe being in a top KHL club is better nowadays for pure $.

Needles

Jun 29, 2010
Boss Nass wants Helminen to continue:

Of course he does. Although Kummola is considered as a very strong leader, he likes to surround himself with quiet and loyal yes men (Kurri, Jutila). Raipe would fit the bill very well. Fortunately, Helminen will very likely be the next Ilves head coach so he won't be able to coach the U20 team.

I don't necessarily like this trend when players who had great careers jump straight SM-liiga coaching. I'd rather see guys like Helminen, Ojanen, Hämäläinen & Lehtinen at junior level schooling new talent, since they really know what it takes to play at the highest level. I really have respect for a former pro like Pasi Saarela who has another job on the side and still finds time to coach Rauman Lukko's C-juniors.

Needles

Jun 29, 2010
Weirdest decisions to me by Kummola have been Helminen as WJC coach and hiring Doug Shedden as the Finnish national head coach.

And later Kim-Jong Kummola even admitted that he hired Shedden to be Jalonen's shield. So that if the 2008 WHC went south, he didn't have face any flack for basically selecting Jalonen to be the head coach at 2010 Olympics. And why he admitted that? Because he could.

Pentothal said:
What is this beef you guys have with your federation? Seems like you really hate those guys.

Like Mestaruus said, Finnish Hockey Federation is basically one man. Kummola is IIHF's vice president but still makes all the big decisions considering the national team. He can hire coaches by himself. And he can fire them too. IIRC, head coach Raimo Summanen was fired after the 2004 World Cup (we finished 2nd) because he didn't like working with Kummola's yes men Kurri & Jutila. And btw, Kurri has been the GM since 2005 and I still don't know what he does. He sure as hell doesn't pick the team or anything like that.

In a nutshell, Finnish Hockey Federation is like a remnant from Soviet Russia. It's a dictatorship where unqualified but loyal people get the high paying jobs and the "troublemakers" are fired. Over the years Kummola has done some great things for Finnish hockey but I will be celebrating when he retires. Then people like Erkka Westerlund and Jarmo Kekäläinen can go in and bring the federation to 21st century.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad