GDT: Finland vs USA

mattihp

Aug 2, 2004
Uppsala, Sweden
Well they came close but no cigar and Finland gets the job done.

I think this U.S team has some potential, they could be a real tough out come playdowns.
They have some really nice passing out there, it seems they can find each other easily out there. Some rust, not as much Finland had... But they will be a force to be reckoned with. Especially with that pesky Robertson.

ijuka

May 14, 2016
Awful game by Finland, somehow won - mostly thanks to Olkinuora.

jj cale

Jan 5, 2016
Nova Scotia
They have some really nice passing out there, it seems they can find each other easily out there. Some rust, not as much Finland had... But they will be a force to be reckoned with. Especially with that pesky Robertson.
Agreed, overall fairly impressed with their game. We face them tomorrow, I'm not very confident about that one after watching them today in this game.

Zub

Nov 7, 2015
Helsinki
Awful game by Finland, somehow won - mostly thanks to Olkinuora.
1st period Finland was better but it was somewhat even, 2nd period Finn's dominated, then in the 3rd they got too passive and got tired with their gameplan, it's not perfect but far from awful. Overall Finland was better this match.

mattihp

Aug 2, 2004
Uppsala, Sweden
1st period Finland was better but it was somewhat even, 2nd period Finn's dominated, then in the 3rd they got too passive and got tired with their gameplan, it's not perfect but far from awful. Overall Finland was better this match.
They got stuck chasing the puck too much in the third. Which was very easy for the US to read. The US played a really good third period in keeping the finns from changing whenever possible and trying to create offense.

Reactions: Ippenator

ijuka

May 14, 2016
Getting tired is not unexpected when Marko Anttila plays 25min and refuses to get off the ice unless his shift lasted for over 2min. Man is that guy selfish.

llwyd

Feb 22, 2006
Helsinki
Hmm - "awful", really? Finland is rarely very impressive in the first games, but that didn't look too bad. I thought it was actually a pretty solid effort and usually we get way better as the tournament progresses.

Husqvarna

Jan 5, 2019
Nobody said it was easy ... to win a game against USA. That is.

But Finland did. Not exactly a pretty one and that's for sure - but hockey ain't a ... freakin' freakshow or catwalk like the Eurovision final that all o' Sweden are so over hyped about that will start soon over 'ere.

This game was not a walk in the park for Finland rather the other way around. Could've ended anyway and anyhow. At the end it was more of a mind game, or rather a chess game, between the coaches than a hockeygame to minimize the mistakes.

Best of the USA lot was of course that dangerous kamikaze chap Robertson from Dallas Stars; Dallas that I've seen a plenty of on telly, so no surprise there, a real NHL-star incomin' believe me!:)

Finland goalie with that smooth name of Olkinuora was a game saver for Finland - solid as a brickwall.

But nobody, nobody fell out of the game plan that Finland coach Jukka Jalonen had planted in their ... roots.

Well, anyhow and anyway it's always nice to beat up a country that only holds 328,2 million people - when you're 5,518 million ya selves:thumbu:.

Reactions: Ippenator and llwyd

Zub

Nov 7, 2015
Helsinki
No, not really. First of all you need a lead to turtle and second of all playing like shit is not the same as purposefully turtling.
Guess you aren't wrong here, but indeed the turtling tactic is very much seen too much from earlier days in the 2000-2013 era, Finnish hockey has evolved from that and shouldn't go back to those tactics, they should've kept going like they did the first 40 minutes, as they say, the best defence is offence.

mattihp

Aug 2, 2004
Uppsala, Sweden
Guess you aren't wrong here, but indeed the turtling tactic is very much seen too much from yearlier days in the 2000-2013 era, Finnish hockey has evolved from that and shouldnt go back to those tactics, they should've kept going like they did the first 40 minutes, as they say, the best defence is offence.
I think the skill and conditioning was not there to play offense or even try to out-hustle the opponent. Hopefully the lines start clicking more very soon.

NJ Fan 12

Jun 23, 2020
Oh the days when Olli Määttä and Ville Pokka were predicted to be backbone of Finlands defence in future

Pokka was never able to crack an NHL lineup while in North America but was part of a KHL champion this spring. With expansion is there any chance he gets another shot (particularly if Bob Hartley gets a coaching job)?

FiLe

Mr. Know-It-Nothing
Oct 9, 2009
Considering ice times.. which line really was number 4?
Dunno if TOIs are really an expression of line numberings, a better one might be how they're roled. The top units are more geared towards offense, while the bottom ones are more defensively-oriented. At the end of the game, Finland was defending a lead, so it was natural the defensive units were going to feature more.

Speaking of which, Finland has become really darn good at defending a lead lately. About a decade ago, if it was one-goal game and Finland was trying to whittle down the clock with five to go, you were basically just waiting for the moment when they're going to blow it. Today, it's of course not a guaranteed win, but it is the high-probability play.

Reactions: king89 and mattihp

Friar85

Dec 16, 2013
I think NHL network shows atleast some games there
NHL Network showing all the US and Canada games and one in every time slot. My lord, the Finns are tough to play against. So tough to get the puck into a really dangerous scoring area. Good game, no problem with the way the US played overall given the lack of time together, etc. Fourth line got worked for two and we lack a top end offensive guy on the blue line, although Jones could grow into that as the tourney goes along. Long way to go.

Sanf

Sep 8, 2012
Good win. Not a great game, but not a bad one. Our offensive spearheads did leave still many question marks. But it was workers day. Koivisto-Seppälä worried me few times. I understand that Seppälä was selected to this game. He is strong and in Liiga level fine defensive D. But I felt that he had troubles few times to keep up. Not going to judge after one game, but would like to see Rindell in next game. edit. And still not entirely sold on Sund in such a big role.

ORRFForever

Oct 29, 2018
Disappointed in the outcome but it was a good effort.
Are you really disappointed? My country lost to Latvia and I didn't care.

If there is one tournament a (North American) fan can watch and not care one way or another, its the World Championship.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad