WC: Finland vs USA semi final!

Czechboy

Cole is the real MVP!
Apr 15, 2018
The combo of Jones and Swayman along with NHLer's is a nice combo. US can skate and, IMO, have the best goalie left in the tourney. Seth Jones is a beast who had an offseason but is a Norris calibre D.

Finn's are favored for sure but I have this match at 51-49 percent chance to be honest. States have NOTHING to lose and no pressure.. Finn's are at home and are expected to win. That isn't usually helpful.

4-3 US is my guess becuase of home ice and pressure.

Jugitsu

Dec 24, 2016
Finland
Very excited to see Boldy on a bigger sheet of ice. He’s the most skilled player on the ice in the semis, both teams included. Don’t mind seeing some more Hartman either and his antics, see how my countrymen respond. Ideal game for me is a one where Boldy and Hartman put on a clinic but Finland wins in the end. First full game I’m about to watch so have really no clue what to expect.

Czechboy

Cole is the real MVP!
Apr 15, 2018
Americans dont usually give a shit about this tournament, so can we make a deal that it will continue that way also tomorrow? :D
I don't agree with this.

A guy like Seth Jones makes what, 9 million a season? You think he is leaving his home country to spend 3 weeks in FInland because he doesn't care? Or because he can't afford a European vacation?

This is a myth in my opinion. Same with guys like Kane and Matthews coming over in previous years.

Why would a guy making a million (or more) a season fly to a tournament in Europe for 3 weeks (for essentially free) if they didn't care?

An example of not caring is Pavel Zacha.lol

Reactions: filip85

Husqvarna

Jan 5, 2019
Why on bloody Earth on Earth are you even afraid of small Finland?!

U.S.A and Canada.

Everybody knows that nobody plays hockey in U.S.A but in Canada.
U.S.A a population of 329,5 million - Canada population 38,01 million were everybody plays hockey by the million ... Jesus Christ.

You have cities bigger than whole o' Finland - go home ...

Husqvarna

Jan 5, 2019
Finland are like Slovakian people vise around 5-6 million or so; but as much I like Slovakien people Finland has been more brutal hockey wise. That's why Finland kick to kill for the Worldchampionhips and Slovakia this time around. And always.

jj cale

Jan 5, 2016
Nova Scotia
Would be fun to see a rare Canada-USA Gold Medal game in this tournament...
It really would, something different for once other then Canada against Team X from Europe or team X from Europe vs Team y from Europe.

This tournament could really use a shake up, it's been the same old same old for far too long, a Euro centric personal party, They are always the home team too every single year every game, doesn't matter what european team is playing against Canada and the U.S.

Let's crash the party this year if for nothing else then some much needed variety.

Plus it's a great modern hockey rivalry now too, the best one going currently IMO. That match up would just be so good for the game. An all North American final is really needed at this tournament.

Last edited:

jj cale

Jan 5, 2016
Nova Scotia
I seriously hope you're wrong. I feel like we are gonna take this home. Hopefully the trophy stays in Finland as well.

Finland is the expected winner tomorrow no question. I dunno though, the U.S has improved and is coming on, the Swiss had been quite impressive and run the table team up to yesterdays game and look how the U.S took them out and how they did it. They played very well in their own end and kept most things to the outside
and with very few second chances on a good swiss team that came after them hard after the first period and swayman can really shut the door when asked.

if they can keep penalties down tomorrow and continue to do what they did yesterday in their own end I think they can score just enough to win this game.

I'd be very concerned about this match if I were a Finnish hockey fan.

Last edited:

Czechboy

Cole is the real MVP!
Apr 15, 2018
It really would, something different for once other then Canada against Team X from Europe or team X from Europe vs Team y from Europe.

This tournament could really use a shake up, it's been the same old same old for far too long, a Euro centric personal party, They are always the home team too every single year every game, doesn't matter what european team is playing against Canada and the U.S.

Let's crash the party this year if for nothing else then some much needed variety.

Plus it's a great modern hockey rivalry now too, the best one going currently IMO. That match up would just be so good for the game. An all North American final is really needed at this tournament.
Canada is at 5 of the last 6 finals... Now it's up to the states to get there.

I like all the nations and don't care who wins this match (because I like both Finland and us hockey) but I think it'd be great for the US to make a final and win a senior tournament. It baffles me that they haven't since 1996. Great program... Awesome players. They even have amazing goalies. It is probably the biggest anamoly for me in international hockey.

jj cale

Jan 5, 2016
Nova Scotia

I like all the nations and don't care who wins this match (because I like both Finland and us hockey) but I think it'd be great for the US to make a final and win a senior tournament. It baffles me that they haven't since 1996. Great program... Awesome players. They even have amazing goalies. It is probably the biggest anamoly for me in international hockey.
As I said, it would be nice to finally see an all North American final, a little break from the endlessly repeated standard here.

Zero Pucks Given

American Hero
Mar 21, 2015
Southern CA

Since the IIHF adopted the playoff format, we're at 10 losses in all 10 semifinal appearances

It really doesn't get more anomalous than that

Czechboy

Cole is the real MVP!
Apr 15, 2018
Since the IIHF adopted the playoff format, we're at 10 losses in all 10 semifinal appearances

It really doesn't get more anomalous than that
But it's a great program with a massive talent pool and great junior results. It makes no sense. US has also sent some outstanding rosters here. Just crazy to me.

FinPanda

Team Finland 2022 WHC champions
Mar 13, 2014
Vaasa, Finland
Finland is the expected winner tomorrow no question. I dunno though, the U.S has improved and is coming on, the Swiss had been quite impressive and run the table team up to yesterdays game and look how the U.S took them out and how they did it. They played very well in their own end and kept most things to the outside
and with very few second chances on a good swiss team that came after them hard after the first period and swayman can really shut the door when asked.

if they can keep penalties down tomorrow and continue to do what they did yesterday in their own end I think they can score just enough to win this game.

I'd be very concerned about this match if I were a Finnish hockey fan.
Why we would be concerned? We have a system and it works. Ofc a little worry is natural but I'm confident on this Finnish team and all teams get better up to this point, so does the Finns. So I believe we will win.

Reactions: Mestaruus

jj cale

Jan 5, 2016
Nova Scotia
Why we would be concerned? We have a system and it works. Ofc a little worry is natural but I'm confident on this Finnish team and all teams get better up to this point, so does the Finns. So I believe we will win.
I don't think there is anything wrong with being concerned, It's great to be confident, as long as it doesn't come at the expense of respect for your opponent. That's always a good recipe to go about losing if that mindset takes hold in the players heads I know that.

It's not like Finland or any other team is unbeatable.

I don't see any issue here in what I said and I also don't have any problem in you believing that you will win. I also don't think there is anything wrong in suggesting Finland could lose this game and likely will be in for a tough one tomorrow.

FinPanda

Team Finland 2022 WHC champions
Mar 13, 2014
Vaasa, Finland
I don't think there is anything wrong with being concerned, It's great to be confident, as long as it doesn't come at the expense of respect for your opponent. That's always a good recipe to go about losing if that mindset takes hold in the players heads I know that.

It's not like Finland or any other team is unbeatable.

I don't see any issue here in what I said.
No, no issue but I just want to see my team win lile sure you want yours to win as well. Thats all it is.

Thinking about unbeatable teams.. Canada 2015 WJC team is as close as ot can get.

Reactions: mattihp

jj cale

Jan 5, 2016
Nova Scotia
No, no issue but I just want to see my team win lile sure you want yours to win as well. Thats all it is.

Thinking about unbeatable teams.. Canada 2015 WJC team is as close as ot can get.
Well yes, we surely all want our teams to win. I think tomorrow is going to be a serious test for both teams that we cheer for , could be wrong though, maybe both Canada and Finland cruise through with relative ease.

wouldn't lay money on it however.

member 305909

Even though Finland is a lot of people's second favourite there are also views that Finland plays boring hockey.

Dunno if that criticism is justified but it sounds very Finnish. Namely, make sure that you get things done and avoid unnecessary risks.

Zero Pucks Given

American Hero
Mar 21, 2015
Southern CA
Even though Finland is a lot of people's second favourite there are also views that Finland plays boring hockey.

Dunno if that criticism is justified but it sounds very Finnish. Namely, make sure that you get things done and avoid unnecessary risks.

It did just net them their first Olympic gold soooo, if it works it works

Bruce Granville

Oct 11, 2014
I actually have a feeling they are going to beat Finland tomorrow, Finlands are a tough out and clear favourite but I just have this gut feel. Can't wait for that game.
The US is the worst opponent for Finland because they are able to change their style to tactic-free, heart-only style of hockey.
Of all the skilled nations Finland is worst in adjusting their game to this kind of lower skill north-south hockey.

So if the US stay away from stupid penalties they have very good chances.

Ad

Upcoming events

• Denmark vs Great Britain
    Denmark vs Great Britain
    Event closes
    • Updated:
  • Kazakhstan vs Germany
    Kazakhstan vs Germany
    Wagers: 3
    Staked: $2,330.00
    Event closes
    • Updated: