Finland Celebrations

Status
Not open for further replies.

RorschachWJK

Dec 28, 2004
That's really arrogant and assumptious, then. Sundin has never badmouthed Finland, he was a very respected captain for Tre Kronor and you just don't insult opponents like that. :shakehead

Compared to live conversation, text, be it on a newspaper, tabloid newspaper (after possibly having been 'refined' by a journalist) or on an internet message board is so easy to misinterpret. Gives rise to all sorts of miscommunication. I'm sure tabloids aren't unhappy about all the commotion and vicious circles of headlines that creates.

Lugaid

Hajlajtreelmål!
May 28, 2008
Stockholm
Oh, Sweden west of Eden! Can we just give it a rest - this is a tabloid war, designed to sell more of these trash papers. Tornedal people are hardly sane by any standards, never mind which side of the river, and if a group of idiots decide to burn a Mats Sundin jersey, I would hardly see it as a very big deal. I would presume to guess that there are idiots even in Sweden (even apart from Aftonbladet and Expressen journalists), so you should know what I'm talking about...

That's what it is, and I doubt Sweden's aggressive supporters will forget it the next time Sweden wins something. :shakehead Although of course we wouldn't celebrate in Helsinki as some finns did in Stockholm, our tabloids tells us you can get beat up or murdered for speaking swedish in Helsinki these days. :nod:

JabbaJabba

Dec 22, 2010
Finland
Last edited:

Hagged

Jul 6, 2009
The wrong kind of nudity for me in that jatkoaika link. But I liked the other one :laugh:

SPMaximus

Apr 29, 2011
IMG_5801-1.jpg

"Mikke take me here and now"?
:naughty:

Allu27

Mar 18, 2011
Oulu
I would think that after watching Nurminen and company(*cough* Salmela* cough*),Mikael won't be getting hammered for a while.:D

Bronson

Apr 5, 2007

Just what is the point of this? Speaking as a Finn I get the feeling that far too many people here are rather celebrating the fact that Sweden lost than the fact that Finland won and I find that to be both pathetic and quiet worrisome, especially considering the overtly nationalist and sometimes even racist political climate here. I was out in Turku at Monday morning and it was really nice to see all the people gathering and celebrating but stuff like this gives me a bad taste in my mouth.

Hans Moleman

Was saying Boortuzzi
Apr 4, 2004
FTW
Meh, everyone is ready to cry "Jingoists!" at the first sign of pride in one's country over a sporting event. It happened in Vancouver too. A tournament was won, and it was an excuse to have fun and party.

Lugaid

Hajlajtreelmål!
May 28, 2008
Stockholm
What is with the flag burning? Finland may find itself on the next "axis of evil list" :sarcasm:

In hockey terms, it's almost worse to burn Sundin's jersey though :sarcasm: During the tournament the swedish team even had Sundin's photo from the 2006 olympics in the lockerroom for motivation.

Hagged

Jul 6, 2009
What the **** is up with people going nuts over a focking two idiots burning a jersey and a flag when there are child rapists and other as worrisome idiots as those who burn **** in ****ing Lahti/Haaparanta/whatever village in the suburbs. And no one is saying that "hockeyfans" from their countries do **** like that even though that particular child rapist has bought a season ticket. Just sayin'. It's stupid to burn **** were they flags, books, religious stuff, arts whatever makes people happy, but let's not draw a conclusion the whole country of finland is as stupid. Only maybe half or something :laugh:

Latex*

That's what it is, and I doubt Sweden's aggressive supporters will forget it the next time Sweden wins something. :shakehead Although of course we wouldn't celebrate in Helsinki as some finns did in Stockholm, our tabloids tells us you can get beat up or murdered for speaking swedish in Helsinki these days. :nod:

It sure is hard dodging those bullets all the time when i try to speak Swedish... You know they raid the houses for Swedish speakers and if they find one, they him to Siberia.. I lost my mom that way

:shakehead

FinnIafrate

Jan 31, 2008
In hockey terms, it's almost worse to burn Sundin's jersey though :sarcasm: During the tournament the swedish team even had Sundin's photo from the 2006 olympics in the lockerroom for motivation.

Burning flags / jerseys is shameful and downright stupid... :shakehead But I think it's something that eventually WILL happen when two rivalries meet for a championship and the other one has to lose. After that you will see human behaviour in all it's "glory" as people get drunk and celebrate. There's no way to keep idiots from drinking, so stupidity will emerge no matter what! And the tabloids are there to pour gas into the flames.

But I believe that the great majority of Swedish hockey fans totally get this. There are some great Swedish posters on this board, and they have showed nothing but class at the moment of bitter loss. :thumbu:

There will be new tournaments where we'll meet the Swedes again... And to Finnish and Swedish hockey fans there's nothing better. :handclap:

In the meantime, we'll enjoy this the best we can! Poika on kotona!:yo:

Peter The Great
Aug 17, 2005
Sweden
According to rumors, big sponsor Finnair is upset because of the team's hard partying? ;-) :laugh:

Could this have anything to do with Pasi Nurminen felling down the stairs from the Finnair aircraft on live tv and his forehead denting the World Championsships trophy? ;-)

Last edited:

Phenomenon

Jun 10, 2006
According to rumors, big sponsor Finnair is upset because of the team's hard partying? ;-) :laugh:

Could this have anything to do with Pasi Nurminen felling down the stairs from the Finnair aircraft on live tv and his forehead denting the World Championsships trophy? ;-)

That interview was purposeful and Finnair´s representative just tried to avoid answering those questions.

Team overall was behaving quite ok, but a couple of persons (one player and two guys from the team management) were stupid enough to give interviews when they were clearly drunk. Nurminen´s landing on the Motherland´s ground is an incident of its own, but this was expected as he is the Nordic Eddie Belfour.

teurasjate

Jan 19, 2009
according to the CEO of Finnish Ice Hockey Association the championship trophy is now broken and being fixed, well done :handclap:

Status
Not open for further replies.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad