Finding my first career job?

Rhaegar Targaryen

Jun 25, 2016
I recently graduated from a Marketing program at college. I took a two year program which gave me a diploma, and I took an extra year which gave me an advanced diploma. I am now ready to search for a career job.

My only question is...how do I do this? I've been going through Indeed.com and applying at a few places. I have LinkedIn. But what else can I do, and what advice could someone who's been here and done this give me?

Thanks!

BigBadBruins7708

Dec 11, 2017
Las Vegas
I have a marketing degree as well and ended up on the analyst side of the house.

Honestly, I love it. Its pretty easy work overall, and the coding/analyst skills have an ever increasing demand as more and more data is created in business. There is also a lot of opportunity to advance and get quality face time with executive level management. A good amount of data analyst positions are running reports/dashboards directly for high level management.

And it pays well.

Really though, best advice I can give is:

1. dont pass on applying to a job because you dont meet 1-2 of the requirements. companies will either train or overlook certain things. also a lot of those requirements are 'would like to have' not 'minimum requirement'

2. dont limit yourself just to marketing specific jobs. with a marketing degree you can get into other business areas like analyst, project management, sales, etc.

3. dont believe any insurance sales job pitch. they're all the same garbage. and if you ever walk into an interview and its a group interview with at least 3 candidates at once, walk out.

Jumptheshark

Rebooting myself
Oct 12, 2003
Somewhere on Uranus
You will probably end up working in a field totally unrelated to your degree.

I am curious where he got his degree from and whether or not degree is recognized by all companies. Marketing degree usually take four years not two. So it sounds like he went to a community collage. Since he is asking us, if he is serious, I would question why his degree did not cover job hunting or making the degree work for. Also is it a degree( where it is BA) or is it a diploma? There is a difference. I know the business degree I earned 2 years the built in marketing portion had me focus on a major and minor for marketing ( major was social media and minor was target marketing via yes no answers)

His wording of the question leaves me with more questions then answers with how to help him because marketing is a wide subject most people who take it have some idea how they want use their degree

IceNeophyte

Nov 14, 2017
I recently graduated from a Marketing program at college. I took a two year program which gave me a diploma, and I took an extra year which gave me an advanced diploma. I am now ready to search for a career job.

My only question is...how do I do this? I've been going through Indeed.com and applying at a few places. I have LinkedIn. But what else can I do, and what advice could someone who's been here and done this give me?

Thanks!

Just send letters of interest explaining that you are a Targaryen.

As has been mentioned, what degree you have makes a huge difference. The difference between an AA and a BA is a marketing coordinator/clerk position vs an entry level market analyst, sales coordinator (path to sales manager), etc. Put bluntly, an associates degree is as valuable as two years of clerical experience.

Cheese Wagstaff

Dec 11, 2017
LMAO

This post is hilarious... I know you know the answer to this.

:laugh:

They both seem plausible to me?

Option 1: he is so lazy he has given up on looking for a job and is content to just go to minor league baseball games to get bobble heads and purchases the tickets with an inexplicable source of income (probably his parents though).

Option 2: he is so delusional he still thinks it’s worth his time to send out resumes and he is so unskilled that he could have been doing this for thirteen years without any luck.

Reactions: tonyhawks77

rent free

Apr 6, 2015
you need to not be a leafs hater because there are a lot of leafs fans out there and they won't hire you if you trash the team

Sep 19, 2008
They both seem plausible to me?

Option 1: he is so lazy he has given up on looking for a job and is content to just go to minor league baseball games to get bobble heads and purchases the tickets with an inexplicable source of income (probably his parents though).

Option 2: he is so delusional he still thinks it’s worth his time to send out resumes and he is so unskilled that he could have been doing this for thirteen years without any luck.

Rhaegar Targaryen

Jun 25, 2016
I am curious where he got his degree from and whether or not degree is recognized by all companies. Marketing degree usually take four years not two. So it sounds like he went to a community collage. Since he is asking us, if he is serious, I would question why his degree did not cover job hunting or making the degree work for. Also is it a degree( where it is BA) or is it a diploma? There is a difference. I know the business degree I earned 2 years the built in marketing portion had me focus on a major and minor for marketing ( major was social media and minor was target marketing via yes no answers)

His wording of the question leaves me with more questions then answers with how to help him because marketing is a wide subject most people who take it have some idea how they want use their degree

Yeah, I went to just a community college, I guess (just a regular college, not university). I took a standard two-year Business - Marketing program, and then I entered into a post-graduate program that gave me an advanced diploma (rather than the typical two year college diploma). I could also take 1.5 more years of college and end up with a degree, but at this time in my life, I'm done with it.

you need to not be a leafs hater because there are a lot of leafs fans out there and they won't hire you if you trash the team

I love the Leafs!

rent free

Apr 6, 2015
Yeah, I went to just a community college, I guess (just a regular college, not university). I took a standard two-year Business - Marketing program, and then I entered into a post-graduate program that gave me an advanced diploma (rather than the typical two year college diploma). I could also take 1.5 more years of college and end up with a degree, but at this time in my life, I'm done with it.

I love the Leafs!
Good man. You won't have any difficulty finding a job.

Reactions: Rhaegar Targaryen

CRM 114

Mar 17, 2018
No I'm not but are you? There are thousands and thousands of people struggling to find jobs and people are getting laid off more than ever in the last twenty years or so.

By the way, nice childish comment you made.
I don't know where you live, but in the US the unemployment rate is 4%. There are literally more open jobs then there are applicants. There is a war on talent, buddy. Someone mentioned it earlier, but my advice would be to not get to hung up on the 'basic requirements' of job postings. Employers really only expect you to meet 60% of those. Just apply for shit that sounds like something you want to do. What is the worst that can happen, they say no?

Sep 19, 2008
Requirements are exaggerated and depict an "ideal candidate"

For entry level positions apply to as many as you can

gl

Ad

Upcoming events

• USA vs Sweden
    USA vs Sweden
    Wagers: 3
    Staked: $1,050.00
    Event closes
    • Updated: