FINALLY Completed My 08-09 Penguins Autograph Set! (Pic Heavy)

dr robbie

Let's Go Pens!
Feb 21, 2012
Pittsburgh
I am extremely happy to say that I’ve finally completed my goal of acquiring the autographs of everyone listed on the 08-09 Penguins cup winning team. This was my objective basically right after the Penguins won the cup. I knew it would take some time, especially being from St. Louis, but didn’t think it would take this long. It took me 1327 days to finally get this completed today. I figured I would share it on here because we all love hockey, right :)?

I had some rules going into this that made it even more difficult.
1) The signed item had to be a regular sized hockey card.
2) The autograph had to be 100% legit (either guaranteed by a card company or authenticated by an autograph expert). Even the autographs I received through the mail were authenticated by an authenticator.
3) The picture on the card had to be of the player wearing a Penguins jersey. This made it difficult from the start. For instance, I was never able to find a Zigomanis card with him on a Penguins jersey (still not even sure that one exists), so I actually had to make a couple hockey cards of him and get him to sign them.
4) Only the 25 players listed on the cup were going to be included.

I can’t even begin to tell you about the work that went into making this. Just for the autographs alone, I wrote 84 letters to players for autograph requests. The poster took me a ton of time to make as well. I’m not an artistic person in the least bit, especially when it comes to on the computer. I made everything in mspaint and it took me about 100 hours of resizing, redoing, and creating to make the background. I made stat boxes and put a sentence about each player from the 08-09 season on the background. In fact, I had to completely remake the background once because of spacing issues. Luckily, I know a guy that prints pictures of this size out (24 inches by 36 inches) so getting it made wasn’t too difficult. The easiest (albeit most expensive) autograph to get was Crosby’s. The hardest by far was Eric Godard. The dude just moves around teams too much and never had a signed card with a company. His retirement only made things worse. Luckily, I finally found a guy on an autograph collecting forum that had two cards of him signed, with Penguins jerseys, and for sale. Bought them, got everything authenticated by JSA, and here is the final result. All in all, it took 1327 days, $514.12, 84 letters, a ton of free time, and one dedicated fan to complete this.

P1150560_zps0bb94390.jpg

P1150540_zps927740c1.jpg

P1150556_zpse57d18ec.jpg

P1150561_zps7ac5c07b.jpg

P1150555_zps3c8f6fe0.jpg

P1150553_zpsa67a0560.jpg

Lets go Pens!:vhappy:

Shrimper

Trick or ruddy treat
Feb 20, 2010
Essex
I'd love to do something like this for this years team but I have no idea where I'd start living in the UK.

I guess I'd have to send letters to the teams with cards asking for help.

penslover871

Jul 19, 2010
Pennsylvania
That is so awesome!
I have a few autographs from current Pens which I cherish greatly, especially my Neal ones.
I really, really want Malkin's autograph though. Not a purchased one, me meeting him and him signing something.
Maybe someday.

Aaaaaaaaaaaaa

May 16, 2009
Love this. As as card collector and a former TTM autograph hound, I know how much effort this takes. Well done!

member 51464

Wow, that is so great. I remember you posting on here a few times about it. Congratulations on completing it. The moment you saw the completed product must have felt great :)

I think it would be out of line for me to start the thread, so I will just suggest it. I think you should basically copy/paste your opening post into a new thread on the main NHL board. This seems like something cool that everyone would appreciate. I love seeing things like this, even for other teams.

tntkid

Fire Maurice & Chevy
Nov 27, 2011
Winnipeg, Manitoba
Really nice Penguins autograph display. :thumbu:

The team are really nice in person & all good signers except for Malkin who is really difficult.

Sid signs really nice for kids but scribbles for adults.
I assume your Crosby signed card is pack pulled auto because the signature is really nice.

MetalheadPenguinsFan

Sep 17, 2009
Canada
Really nice Penguins autograph display. :thumbu:

The team are really nice in person & all good signers except for Malkin who is really difficult.
Sid signs really nice for kids but scribbles for adults.
I assume your Crosby signed card is pack pulled auto because the signature is really nice.

What.

You mean his auto is difficult to read, or that he himself is difficult? :huh:

MetalheadPenguinsFan

Sep 17, 2009
Canada
Wow, that is so great. I remember you posting on here a few times about it. Congratulations on completing it. The moment you saw the completed product must have felt great :)

I think it would be out of line for me to start the thread, so I will just suggest it. I think you should basically copy/paste your opening post into a new thread on the main NHL board. This seems like something cool that everyone would appreciate. I love seeing things like this, even for other teams.

Hate to say this but because it's the main board and this pertains to the Pens, the poor guy would probably have his creation ridiculed or made fun of.

Fact of the matter is most posters there aren't mature enough to be able to look at awesomeness such as OP's creation.

Shrimper

Trick or ruddy treat
Feb 20, 2010
Essex
How much did all the cards cost you? I'm guessing some of them were cheap but some where a bit more expensive.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad