Final Olympic qualifications in Kloten, Riga and Klagenfurt

Status
Not open for further replies.

BAuldie

Apr 5, 2004
Nanaimo, B.C.
Latvia makes it through as well after an exciting 2 goal comeback in the last half of the 3rd lead to the winning goal with 2 minutes left to put Latvia over Belarus 5-4. That would be a wild game to be at.

I know when the Olympics come to Vancouver, any Canadian games are probably out of my price range but i'd love to be at a game involving one of the lesser counties and just sit in the middle of their group of fans.. would be an awesome experience.

RorschachWJK

Dec 28, 2004
BAuldie said:
Latvia makes it through as well after an exciting 2 goal comeback in the last half of the 3rd lead to the winning goal with 2 minutes left to put Latvia over Belarus 5-4.

Excellent news! I just hope that Latvia won't play Finland at any point...the wife is Latvian you see ;)

Jazz

Interesting to note that Kazakhstan won it's pool while averaging only 1 goal per game, and with an negative goal differencial.....Both Austria and France needed one final goal in their respective games to win the group, but failed to do so...

Final Groups for Turino Olympics
Group A
  • #1 seed CANADA
  • #4 seed CZECH REPUBLIC
  • #5 seed FINLAND
  • #8 seed GERMANY
  • #9 seed SWITZERLAND
  • #19 seed ITALY (host)

Group B
  • #2 seed SWEDEN
  • #3 seed SLOVAKIA
  • #6 seed USA
  • #7 seed RUSSIA
  • #10 seed LATVIA
  • #17 seed KAZAKHSTAN

brian

Mar 2, 2002
Visit site
Many Russian clubs refused to release Ukrainian, Kazakhs, etc. players for the qualifiers. The Koreshkov brothers were there because they don't have a team right now. They started the season with Sibir got transferred to Severstal and were then released. I don't believe Antropov gave up on Kazakhstan. Had the Senators beaten the Leafs last year he would have came over and suited up for Kazakhstan. I think it was more Lokomotiv Yaroslavl telling him don't go then him saying no. It will be interesting to see what happens at the Olympics concerning the availability of players.

Sum

Nov 16, 2003
St Etienne, France
Visit site
Interesting to note that Kazakhstan won it's pool while averaging only 1 goal per game, and with an negative goal differencial.....Both Austria and France needed one final goal in their respective games to win the group, but failed to do so...

It's a shame. France had to score just one goal, one goal... We had a great tournament, it's a pity we can't go to Torino after that. Nobody had expected us to win this tournament, it would have been a great surprise.

The positive thing is there has been obvious progresses. We were able to hold against teams that crushed us a few months ago, so in spite of the disappointment it's encouraging for the future...

Status
Not open for further replies.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad