- QF
wbe.gif
eliminated Belgium 2-1
- SF
wes.gif
eliminated Spain 1-1 (4-2 pens.)
- Top goalscorer(s): Immobile/Locatelli/Insigne/Pessina/Chiesa - 2
- Italy have played in 10 EURO's and this is their 4th final
- Only win came in 1968 when they won at home against Yugoslavia (1-1, 2-0 replay) led by Gigi Riva
- Lost their last two finals in 2000 (1-2 a.e.t. France) and 2012 (0-4 Spain)

wen.gif
England

engdk.png

- Group D winner (2-1-0)
- Beat
whr.gif
Croatia 1-0
- Tied
wss.gif
Scotland 0-0
- Beat
wcz.gif
Czech Republic 1-0
- R16
wde.gif
eliminated Germany 2-0
- QF
wua.gif
eliminated Ukraine 4-0
- SF
wdk.gif
eliminated Denmark 2-1 A.E.T.
- Top goalscorer: Harry Kane - 4
- England have played in 10 EURO's and this will be their first final
- Twice lost in the SF, in 1968 (0-1 Yugoslavia) and 1996 (1-1, 5-6 pens. Germany)

Shrimper

Trick or ruddy treat
Feb 20, 2010
Essex
Italy fingers crossed win in normal time and shut up all the monobrows that follow this team. Heroes indeed. The real heroes are medics and nurses and responders on the front line. Not overpaid tax dodging diving spoilt brats.

Grow up

We'll lose though

Reactions: Eisen

Walrus26

Wearing a Habs Toque in England.
May 24, 2018
Peterborough, UK
And people wonder why I loathe what passes for "football" these days. England have become a bunch of diving cheats, even by modern football's diving, cheating standards.

Embarrassing. But well-organised, hard-working and hard to beat.

Apt that the final will be against the prototypical hard-working, organised and incapable of staying upright international side :naughty:

SeawaterOnIce

Bald is back in style.
Sponsor
Aug 28, 2011
In a normal tournament with little to no travel and a reasonable schedule, I would favour Italy. England has had a lighter travel schedule and have had the more inferior opponents. England will be fresher and their attackers will be giving the old tandem in the back trouble. As usual, the refs and VAR will be useless.

Sadly I have England lifting the stupid trophy and their press and media guys pissing off the rest of Europe with their arrogance.

cgf

FireBednarsSuccessor
Oct 15, 2010
w/ Renly's Peach
Hoping the pressure isn't overwhelming & we get the fun game that both teams have the talent to deliver.

I think I'm going to root against Italy in this one :laugh:

AB13

Apr 29, 2019
England gotta go with a strong midfield 3 against Italy. Denmark were bypassing Phillips and Rice for fun in the first half. Barella and Verratti will run wild if they don’t.

Live in the Now

Dec 17, 2005
LA
England gotta go with a strong midfield 3 against Italy. Denmark were bypassing Phillips and Rice for fun in the first half. Barella and Verratti will run wild if they don’t.

If England doesn't start Henderson they won't be competitive in this game for very long.

Reactions: Mount Suribachi

NyQuil

Big F$&*in Q
Jan 5, 2005
Ottawa, ON
Well, England finally faces a top-tier test in the final match of the tournament.

If they manage to win, it makes the victory more legitimate for sure.

Prntscrn

Sep 29, 2011
Sweden
That's a massive overexagerration but yeah Henderson should start

Henderson is obviously a good footballer, but he's also an exceptional leader. Also think his experience being captain winning both the league and Champions League could come in handy on that midfield. If he's not deemed fit to play 120 minutes I could see him coming on early in the 2nd half as a good choice though

Reactions: Mount Suribachi

East Coast Bias

Feb 28, 2014
NYC
I don’t think England would have been able to handle Spain’s press at all. But I don’t see Italy having that same ability so it should be a good match.

gary69

Sep 22, 2004
Then and there
It should be an interesting tactical matchup. And no, I don't mean that Southgate is some tactical genius. But rather that Luis Enrique already surprised Mancini tactically in the SF, and Italy simple can't continue with Emerson as LB against Sterling. Sterling will get past him several times and then him running against Chiellini & Bonucci in the penalty area is a recipe for disaster. Even if the ref isn't as trigger happy to award PK as against the Danes.

So it'll be interesting to see how Mancini address that. It's shame that Spinazzola can't play in this. English central defence shouldn't have too much trouble with Immobile and Walker is tough to get past on the flank as well. That leaves Italy trying to take advantage of Shaw getting caught being too far up the pitch to help defence. Even that might be difficult to achieve with England having two defensive midfielders in Phillips and Rice.

I think that match will be decided on who wins the midfield battle. Obviously Donnarumma is a better keeper than Pickford, so that gives Italy a bit more leeway.

Not many goals in this. I think England will edge it 1-0, again with some controversy about the goal.

Reactions: Rob
Status
Not open for further replies.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad