Final Fantasy VII REBIRTH - Part 2 (Feb 29th, 2024 Release Date) - Reviews are Out! (NO SPOILERS - See Post 385)

Jovavic

Gaslight Object Project
Oct 13, 2002
New Born Citizen Erased
Moogles are really pissing me off in gongaga. Becoming less fun to do that shit. Just need the for my last Intel.
That one definitely upped the difficulty with the timer and I failed it three times but on the fourth time I realized there's plenty of time, no need to rush, finished it in two minutes and didn't get hit once, if I can do it so can you, you got this!

Reactions: Metroid

K Fleur

Sacrifice
Mar 28, 2014
Those first moments when your party enters the open world map are really just something else.

I’m on chapter 3 and really liking it so far. It feels like there are just like an overwhelming amount of side quests though.

Reactions: Metroid

The Merchant

Sponsor
Aug 2, 2011
El Pueblo
The game ended strong despite some hiccups along the way. Just like the first game, I can't wait to sink time into all the theorycrafting it's going to create. And MAN that final sequence of the final boss fight was so incredibly hype. I had goosebumps throughout

Reactions: GoAwayPanarin

Shareefruck

Apr 2, 2005
Vancouver, BC
Excuse another insane lengthy word salad, but a couple of things are really making me flip-flop hard on how I feel about Rebirth. I'm close to 180'ing on my skepticism, it just depends on if the third game actually ends up bearing this out.

First thing to get out of the way is that playing through the game myself instead of watching playthroughs of it (dragged down by optional stuff that doesn't respect your time) and realizing that the difficulty is actually still perfectly balanced (if not even more enjoyable) if you B-line the main story has made me feel much more positive about the gameplay/story pacing. I've heard that the game indirectly forces you to do the tedious side stuff because you'd be too under-leveled otherwise, but that just isn't true, in my experience. It's harder than Remake doing it this way, but still only modestly challenging compared to actual hard games (it's hit the perfect challenge sweet spot for me, personally).

My #1 biggest reason for possible reconsideration, though: The thing I care most about and that pissed me off about Remake was not preserving the spirit of the original's themes. If the trilogy is about fighting fate in some way, I think that's trash writing and butchers the original theme-- It's just a dumb and childish sentiment to express in general that Nomura/Nojima seem way too obsessed with. The story's theme is that you CAN'T reject fate/consequences/bad outcomes, you can only accept how the consequences of them shape you and take your best step forward regardless of the outcome (which ties into environmental messages where we may have already done too much irreversible damage, as well as dealing with mortality/loss). That's a much more real, mature, and human takeaway, and something I like a lot about the original game.

Remake and its fate ghosts felt like it moved in the opposite direction and completely spit in the face of that theme. However, what initially reassured me about that in Rebirth was that Aerith EXPLICITLY states the original theme described above almost word for word at the climax of the game, which reassures me that the Devs know this and it might still be heading in the right direction. The only wrinkle against that for me was that that the Zack stuff still felt like it's moving in that same dumb/butchered direction.

But then I came across this possible tin-foil hat in-game hint/theory about what might be going on, and I actually really like how well it could conceivably work for where this trilogy might be going.

From hearing that, I feel like there's a possibility that it isn't a multiverse (because time/space is too logically inconsistent for that to make sense), and is actually just the lifestream manifesting hopes and dreams as pockets of reality as a reaction to desperate attempts to resist fate. I actually really like that and think that would express the original theme perfectly, resulting in game 1, 2, and 3 being about rejection, denial/delusion, and then acceptance, respectively. If the third game ends up being about how, regardless of the what ifs that we desperately wish for and whatever hypothetical universes might be out there, nothing can actually change the specific reality you're in now (which the ending of Rebirth seems to support), then all this nonsense suddenly works really well, IMO.

But then again, maybe that's just delusional wishful thinking on my part as well.

Last edited:

Jovavic

Gaslight Object Project
Oct 13, 2002
New Born Citizen Erased
I'm in chapter 12, around 75 hours, so I'm plugging away. Something that had really caught my eye that I usually never care about are some graphic oddities, mostly when characters are talking in a building or outside by a fence and the wood or wall textures keep rotating from sharp to mid to blurry then back to sharp, it's kinda distracting. I also don't think the particle effects, water, or fire look as good as in FFXVI, but I'm not a graphics aficionado and I have bad eyes so maybe I'm wrong lol

Rodgerwilco

Entertainment boards w/ some Hockey mixed in.
Feb 6, 2014
Just got this game as a gift for Easter, so I'm really looking forward to starting it this week. I had been holding off since I couldn't justify dropping $70+ for it, but I'm thrilled for it.

The Crypto Guy

Jun 26, 2017
Just got this game as a gift for Easter, so I'm really looking forward to starting it this week. I had been holding off since I couldn't justify dropping $70+ for it, but I'm thrilled for it.
Enjoy! I'm taking it super slow, just up to Chapter 7 but it's been a lot of fun.

Jovavic

Gaslight Object Project
Oct 13, 2002
New Born Citizen Erased
I'm up to 85 hours and passed the point of no return, there's a final round of stuff they give you in Chapter 12 and none of it interested me so I'm on my way to the end.

The Crypto Guy

Jun 26, 2017
What are you at for hours played? I’m in Chapter 6 and am closing in on 30 hours. Turns out I’m doing everything each region has to offer before moving on!
I believe I'm around 20-22 hours. I'm not doing everything though.

Rodgerwilco

Feb 6, 2014
Enjoy! I'm taking it super slow, just up to Chapter 7 but it's been a lot of fun.
Thanks, buddy. Very much looking forward to it. I fizzled out on part 1, but I never really cared as much for the Midgar section of the original. The second part is really what I'm looking forward to... Junon, Golden Saucer, Chocobos, etc.

I'll probably watch some video recaps of part 1 just to get familiarized with the new aspects of the story and then pick it up with playing Rebirth.

Shareefruck

Apr 2, 2005
Vancouver, BC
Thanks, buddy. Very much looking forward to it. I fizzled out on part 1, but I never really cared as much for the Midgar section of the original. The second part is really what I'm looking forward to... Junon, Golden Saucer, Chocobos, etc.

I'll probably watch some video recaps of part 1 just to get familiarized with the new aspects of the story and then pick it up with playing Rebirth.
Rebirth has a recap video in its menu but it's not very good so I'd search Youtube
Yeah, if you didn't finish part 1 at all, I'd strongly recommend watching a much more thorough recap video before doing Rebirth, because some of the details they throw at you at the end of Remake that Rebirth seems to require you to follow to make any sense (and even then, just barely) is a bit absurd. Just knowing the events from OG isn't really enough.

Last edited:

The Crypto Guy

Jun 26, 2017
Yeah, if you didn't finish part 1 at all, I'd strongly recommend watching a much more thorough recap video before doing Rebirth, because some of the details they throw at you at the end of Remake that Rebirth seems to require you to follow to make any sense (and even then, just barely) is a bit absurd. Just knowing the events from OG isn't really enough.

Agreed, I watched the whole thing before the game came out, ALL cutscenes from Remake, and was still left confused by the end and start of Rebirth.

Actually I should just ask now. Without too many major spoilers, but the scenes with Zack are f***ing confusing, is that a flashback or flashforward? I'm so confused :laugh:

Rodgerwilco

Feb 6, 2014
Yeah I’m looking for a decently in depth one. I watched a shorter one, but once they got toward the end it seemed a little convoluted.

Shareefruck

Apr 2, 2005
Vancouver, BC
It's extremely convoluted. Personally, I kind of hate it (although it partly depends on where it goes, I guess).

The original Final Fantasy VII was already pushing the acceptable limits of convolutedness, the last thing you need is to multiply that with an even more convoluted thing.
Agreed, I watched the whole thing before the game came out, ALL cutscenes from Remake, and was still left confused by the end and start of Rebirth.

Actually I should just ask now. Without too many major spoilers, but the scenes with Zack are f***ing confusing, is that a flashback or flashforward? I'm so confused :laugh:
It's something you're meant to wonder about until towards the end of Rebirth (and even then I don't think the specifics are set in stone and it seems a bit open to interpretation). Finishing Remake and noticing details in the ending just barely gives you enough to start theorizing, it doesn't explain it.

I guess I will say though that before Rebirth was released, something to keep an eye out for that most interpreted from the ending of Remake is that
defeating the fate bosses seemed to spawn a reality other than the one that the main party is in, and the clearest way to distinguish between them is that the cartoon Stamp mascot is a different breed of dog in each one. So far, the one in the main story is a Beagle, and the one in Zack from the Remake ending's is a Terrier. At the point of Remake's ending, we have no idea if it's some sort of Limbo, multiverse thing, or something else, but regardless, paying attention to those Stamp identifiers throughout Rebirth can help you keep track and start to guess what might be going on.

_3139613.jpg

Last edited:
Reactions: ForsbergMoDo21

The Crypto Guy

Jun 26, 2017
It's extremely convoluted. Personally, I kind of hate it (although it partly depends on where it goes, I guess).

The original Final Fantasy VII was already pushing the acceptable limits of convolutedness, the last thing you need is to multiply that with an even more convoluted thing.

It's something you're meant to wonder about until towards the end of Rebirth (and even then I don't think the specifics are set in stone and it seems a bit open to interpretation). Finishing Remake and noticing details in the ending just barely gives you enough to start theorizing, it doesn't explain it.

I guess I will say though that before Rebirth was released, something to keep an eye out for that most interpreted from the ending of Remake is that
defeating the fate bosses seemed to spawn a reality other than the one that the main party is in, and the clearest way to distinguish between them is that the cartoon Stamp mascot is a different breed of dog in each one. So far, the one in the main story is a Beagle, and the one in Zack from the Remake ending's is a Terrier. At the point of Remake's ending, we have no idea if it's some sort of Limbo, multiverse thing, or something else, but regardless, paying attention to those Stamp identifiers throughout Rebirth can help you keep track and start to guess what might be going on.

_3139613.jpg
Ohhh ok, as long as I wasnt suppose to fully understand them yet, i was wondering if i was just a moron and wasnt suppose to know haha.

Reactions: Jovavic

Metroid

Слава Україні!!
Sep 6, 2006
Hellmouth
I'm at
cosmo canyon
is this the last big open world area that has all those Intel stuff to do?!
(Answer in a non spoiler way, if possible)

Jovavic

Gaslight Object Project
Oct 13, 2002
New Born Citizen Erased
Finished it at 95 hours while leaving most of the chapter 12 side stuff alone. I thought the temple was a great dungeon, probably the best out of the two games plus Yuffie DLC. Now to go read up on the ending to make sure I didn't miss anything.

Metroid

Слава Україні!!
Sep 6, 2006
Hellmouth
Finished it at 95 hours while leaving most of the chapter 12 side stuff alone. I thought the temple was a great dungeon, probably the best out of the two games plus Yuffie DLC. Now to go read up on the ending to make sure I didn't miss anything.
I'm at 75 hours and just did a couple stuff at nibel region before continuing with the story. I think I wanna beat the Game, then go back and do all Intel's and shit.
Taking a week off in Cuba tho.

Reactions: Jovavic

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad