Speculation: Final Cuts?

Who gets cut (pick 4)

• Total voters
  • Poll closed .

Jet

Free Capo!
Jul 20, 2004
Florida
In order to get down to the 23 man roster, the Jets will have to cut 4 players from the roster.

Bones has said he already knows pretty much what his opening night roster will look like. Which 4 players don't make the cut?

Don't pick who you WANT to stay, pick who you think the coach will cut.

Jet

Free Capo!
Jul 20, 2004
Florida
I just realized going through this exercise, I don't think Lambert has a chance to play any regular season games.

Reactions: GeorgeJETson

surixon

Jul 12, 2003
Winnipeg
I just realized going through this exercise, I don't think Lambert has a chance to play any regular season games.

Yeah they would have waive two forwards or an extra dmen to keep him up and I don't think they want to expose Kovacevik/Harkins.

Reactions: Jet

JetsUK

Oct 1, 2015
I think Capo goes, and the rest are the usual suspects -- waiver eligibility determines, unless they try their luck with Kovy and keep Samberg up.

Heinola back to the farm to polish up on his offside, hopefully to return and stick.

Pongs21

It's not delivery, it's Sports Desk
Jul 18, 2011
Halifax
I could see them going 2 directions.
1st: Capo, Kovacevic, Harkins and Toninato all waived. Given the talent that will be waived today, I'd say it's likely all slip through. We are quite deep with tweener spots, so as much as it would suck to loose 1 or 2, it wouldn't be a significant blow to us here. This direction also gives Bowness and the organization a lot of flexibility to move players up and down.
Maenalanen has earned a start. Barron has looked good, is younger and a projected future here. Gus and Stanley would absoiluty not pass waivers and I think Lambert has earned the opportunity to get a few games before being sent down to the Moose. Harkins and Toninato just didn't do enough to fully cement their spot for me. Also gives Bowness an extended look at Heinola and Samberg for that final spot. Both have upcert Stanley for me and are clearly above Capo and Kova.

2nd: All non-waiver eligible players sent down. This is what the Chevy/PoMo Jets would do... Wonder how strongly Bowness feels about it.

ffh

Jul 16, 2016
My only prediction is 21 will be the LW or C on the 4th line. Have no idea why they would waive a guy they trust in all situations

Jet

Free Capo!
Jul 20, 2004
Florida
I could see them going 2 directions.
1st: Capo, Kovacevic, Harkins and Toninato all waived. Given the talent that will be waived today, I'd say it's likely all slip through. We are quite deep with tweener spots, so as much as it would suck to loose 1 or 2, it wouldn't be a significant blow to us here. This direction also gives Bowness and the organization a lot of flexibility to move players up and down.
Maenalanen has earned a start. Barron has looked good, is younger and a projected future here. Gus and Stanley would absoiluty not pass waivers and I think Lambert has earned the opportunity to get a few games before being sent down to the Moose. Harkins and Toninato just didn't do enough to fully cement their spot for me. Also gives Bowness an extended look at Heinola and Samberg for that final spot. Both have upcert Stanley for me and are clearly above Capo and Kova.

2nd: All non-waiver eligible players sent down. This is what the Chevy/PoMo Jets would do... Wonder how strongly Bowness feels about it.
I get what you're saying - but I don't think it's so much 'Pomo Jets' (thinking that the tweener vets are better than the youth), but depth protection. We are going to see significant injuries this year likely and having NHL ready guys that can jump in can help us, especially when we get to the playoffs.

I don't think they risk exposing someone to give Lambert a taste of regular season play. We will see how it all shakes out.

surixon

Jul 12, 2003
Winnipeg
Based on today's lineup and practice things are still largely up in the air lol.

None of Stanley and Samberg are in. Heinola is getting the game with Schmidt so maybe he's the front runner.

Both Harkins and Toninato are in so maybe a last chance for them.

Lambert, Kovacevik, Appelton, C dmen not even on the ice. Apples is likely injured but you wonder if the others have been sent down.

ERYX

'Pegger in Exile
Oct 25, 2014
Ontario, Canada
The obvious choices for me were Capobianco (bad/worst defenceman still up with the team), and Lambert (exciting camp, but very young and needs seasoning, hasn't even signed an ELC yet).

The other two were a lot harder to guess. I went with Kovacevic before realizing that he's not waiver exempt. Still probably going down though since he isn't on the roster tonight and I don't think he was last game either.

Final choice I went with Heinola just because of all the chatter around here about how the org doesn't like him or want to give him a chance. EDIT: Not that I really believe that, I really have no idea, but as a casual fan who doesn't follow this stuff with nearly the granularity many here do I had to make my fourth choice somehow!

Mortimer Snerd

You kids get off my lawn!
Sponsor
Jun 10, 2014
Yeah they would have waive two forwards or an extra dmen to keep him up and I don't think they want to expose Kovacevik/Harkins.

They could open a temporary spot by sending down enough waiver exempt players - if they really wanted to give Lambert some number of real NHL games. Not saying they would or should, but Barron, Heinola and Samberg are all waiver exempt. So is Perfetti but he is not going down, even for a couple of games.

surixon

Jul 12, 2003
Winnipeg
They could open a temporary spot by sending down enough waiver exempt players - if they really wanted to give Lambert some number of real NHL games. Not saying they would or should, but Barron, Heinola and Samberg are all waiver exempt. So is Perfetti but he is not going down, even for a couple of games.

Yes they could do that as well but I am already taking into account that one of Heinola/Samberg will go down.

Perfetti has a key role locked up and it looks like Barron has a starting spot locked up. So really they are left to sending both dmen down and I figure one of the two gets the opening lineup spot on the bottom pairing.

No real room for him.

Mortimer Snerd

Sponsor
Jun 10, 2014
Based on today's lineup and practice things are still largely up in the air lol.

None of Stanley and Samberg are in. Heinola is getting the game with Schmidt so maybe he's the front runner.

Both Harkins and Toninato are in so maybe a last chance for them.

Lambert, Kovacevik, Appelton, C dmen not even on the ice. Apples is likely injured but you wonder if the others have been sent down.

Or maybe it means Heinola is 3rd and being given a last shot at moving up. You just can't base conclusions on this lineup.

MardyBum

Jul 4, 2012
Winnipeg, Manitoba

Or they lose a top 6 F to a long term injury and Lambert is doing well in the AHL. There was no room for Connor because it was top 6 or bust. (Sad I have to add this but the hype police will bitch if I don't mention of course he's not at Connor's level)

Of course they have to sign him first lol.

Mortimer Snerd

Sponsor
Jun 10, 2014
Yes they could do that as well but I am already taking into account that one of Heinola/Samberg will go down.

Perfetti has a key role locked up and it looks like Barron has a starting spot locked up. So really they are left to sending both dmen down and I figure one of the two gets the opening lineup spot on the bottom pairing.

No real room for him.

I disagree. There is easily TEMP room for him in the unlikely scenario where they really wanted to give him a few games. I'm not advocating for that. Only saying that making room is not an issue.

Send Barron down for a week. Lambert gets 4 games. Done. That easy.

I don't think they have any real desire to give Lambert any games. Despite his skills, he is not close to ready. Why risk 1 bad play costing us a game? That 2 pts could end up costing us a PO spot. Early season W's & L's have the same value as the last game of the season.

Reactions: surixon

sipowicz

The thrill is gone
Mar 16, 2011
None of the trio of ”maybe’s“, Big Stan, Poolberg or Tiny Heiny have impressed during pre season!

maybe the Jets need to trade to get a legit #6 D man!

Reactions: Upperdeckjet

JetsFan815

Jan 16, 2012
Lambert

Capobianco

Kovacevic

One of Menalainen/Samberg depending on if they want to have 8 D on the roster or not.

GreenLine

May 24, 2021
I haven't seen the preseason but based on what I saw last year, I'd have a hard time accepting Samberg not making it when he was already better than several dmen on the team.

Reactions: Gil Fisher

Gil Fisher

Mar 18, 2012
Winnipeg
None of the trio of ”maybe’s“, Big Stan, Poolberg or Tiny Heiny have impressed during pre season!

maybe the Jets need to trade to get a legit #6 D man!
Sip, you ignorant slut!

I haven't seen the preseason but based on what I saw last year, I'd have a hard time accepting Samberg not making it when he was already better than several dmen on the team.
I'd hazard a guess that by Christmas, given 25-30 games in a row, both Sammy and Heiny would be better than Dillon.

Reactions: Team Bring It

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad