Value of: Filip Zadina

Unbiased Fan

May 24, 2019
Going into the 2018 draft Zadina was my second to favourite player behind Dahlin. What has happened to him? Is he a flawed prospect or has he simply just not fit into the Red wings organization? What is his potential and what is his floor? What kind of player do you guys believe he will be? Lastly does he need a change of scenery or is he getting the best deployment he can get in Detroit?

WingsToPick4th

Jan 5, 2020
Trading him now would be selling LOW which Yzerman rarely does. He is extremely snakebitten playing on the 3rd line with noobs like Gagner and Rasmussen.

Last year when he was on a line with Jakob Vrana he was producing well and hes only 22.

He was 6th overall and is very responsible defensively, has a good shot and is skilled. Now... if Yzerman can package him and say Hronek or Rasmussen for an upgrade at C (detroit is hurting bad at C) id consider it (ex. a guy like Copp)

Reactions: Unbiased Fan

McJedi

Apr 21, 2020
Florida
Going into the 2018 draft Zadina was my second to favourite player behind Dahlin. What has happened to him? Is he a flawed prospect or has he simply just not fit into the Red wings organization? What is his potential and what is his floor? What kind of player do you guys believe he will be? Lastly does he need a change of scenery or is he getting the best deployment he can get in Detroit?
Apparently zadina’s value is taking on the full Petry AAV. Interesting (questionable) way for Yzerman to spend $5.25mm (Petry makes $6.25mm but I backed out Zadinas AAV) in cap space.

Last edited:
Reactions: WingsToPick4th

Unbiased Fan

May 24, 2019
Trading him now would be selling LOW which Yzerman rarely does. He is extremely snakebitten playing on the 3rd line with noobs like Gagner and Rasmussen.

Last year when he was on a line with Jakob Vrana he was producing well and hes only 22.

He was 6th overall and is very responsible defensively, has a good shot and is skilled. Now... if Yzerman can package him and say Hronek or Rasmussen for an upgrade at C (detroit is hurting bad at C) id consider it (ex. a guy like Copp)
Wow I’m curious to why he isn’t in top 6? Once Vrana gets back will Fabbri or Zadina be on the second line?

ManofSteel55

Aug 15, 2013
Sylvan Lake, Alberta

Like, Sam Gagner? Has the definition of noob changed?

MicronMega

Jan 31, 2022
Toronto, NY
He might be a good/great player someday, he certainly isn’t right now. If I had to boil down his biggest problem in one sentence he simply can’t create space for himself.

That's weird when he played in Halifax, this kid could do everything. He scored from all areas of the rink. Off the rush, in-tight, rebounds, breakaways, PP

Qward

Because! That's why!
Jul 23, 2010
Behind you, look out
It was proposed before, but a Brannstrom for Zadina trade makes sense.

In a few months we will have on the left hand side,
Chabot
Holden
Sanderson

We could move Brannstrom to the offside but the coach doesnt like that and he doesnt seem to like Branny.

We could give Zadina top 6 minutes and a chance to thrive.

Reactions: Voodoo Glow Skulls

Rydev

Jan 14, 2022
Pavel Zacha seems on his way out

Maybe something works there. How is Zadina stylistically?

YpsiWings

Feb 5, 2016
That's weird when he played in Halifax, this kid could do everything. He scored from all areas of the rink. Off the rush, in-tight, rebounds, breakaways, PP

The NHL and juniors are a different beast, not everything translates up. Zadina is snake bitten, I will give him that. His shot is better than what the shooting percentage says it is, the trouble is he just can’t get open ice. Zadina’s athleticism/skating is such a big hinderance that if no gains are made I just can’t see him as a top 6 forward. His defense and stick work are good, he can make it as a 3rd liner, just not what you want with the 6th overall pick.

Reactions: Unbiased Fan

Number1RedWingsFan52

Mar 17, 2013
Winter Haven Florida
It was proposed before, but a Brannstrom for Zadina trade makes sense.

In a few months we will have on the left hand side,
Chabot
Holden
Sanderson

We could move Brannstrom to the offside but the coach doesnt like that and he doesnt seem to like Branny.

We could give Zadina top 6 minutes and a chance to thrive.
No thanks Detroit has zero desire in Erik Brannstrom, We already have Edvinsson, Johansson, Wallinder/McIsaac on the leftside and i don't see Brannstrom being any better then any of them.

Reactions: DingDongCharlie

Overrateprospects

Dec 23, 2021
Zadina is a great player. Still young, I'm sure he will figure things out and be a top tier player for years to come for Detroit
I agree but would love to see him with Rangers but Detroit would be smart to be patient. I’m guessing a lot of his struggles is not have a Centre on his line.

njx9

Feb 1, 2016
Last year when he was on a line with Jakob Vrana he was producing well

No he wasn't. He's never produced, let alone "well".

That said, the team's not going to get anything worth having for him today. As long as he's willing to take a contract based on what he is (a less-useful/good Darren Helm with even less offensive ability) then there's no reason to sell him for whatever scraps he'd currently garner. Unless someone offers something stupid, it's far better to give him another year and hope he's a rare late-bloomer, or that he gets some crazy puck luck and you can sell a bit higher next year.

Debrincat93

Dec 4, 2002
Michigan
Nhl.com
No he wasn't. He's never produced, let alone "well".

That said, the team's not going to get anything worth having for him today. As long as he's willing to take a contract based on what he is (a less-useful/good Darren Helm with even less offensive ability) then there's no reason to sell him for whatever scraps he'd currently garner. Unless someone offers something stupid, it's far better to give him another year and hope he's a rare late-bloomer, or that he gets some crazy puck luck and you can sell a bit higher next year.

once you mention him and Helm in the same sentence you immediately lose all credibility of knowing what you're talking about.

ManofSteel55

Aug 15, 2013
Sylvan Lake, Alberta
The NHL and juniors are a different beast, not everything translates up. Zadina is snake bitten, I will give him that. His shot is better than what the shooting percentage says it is, the trouble is he just can’t get open ice. Zadina’s athleticism/skating is such a big hinderance that if no gains are made I just can’t see him as a top 6 forward. His defense and stick work are good, he can make it as a 3rd liner, just not what you want with the 6th overall pick.
Honest question as I've only watched a couple of Wings games this year so far. Do you feel that his issues getting open are something that could be overcome if he was playing on a team that plays a more open offensive style, or is it just a matter of he doesn't know where to go and how to be? If playing in a more loose system could help, it would be interesting to see what would happen if he was in Edmonton playing with McDavid or Draisaitl. Not that I want Holland trading with Detroit. I think you guys still owe us for the Athanasiou overpay. ;)

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad