Player Discussion Filip Hronek - Pt. 2

lawrence

May 19, 2012

heading into the free agency, we have 24,778,333 as projected cap space according to capfriendly.
if its true that they plan to increase the cap by 5 million than that becomes 29,778,333 of cap room

so we have 29,778,333 to try to sign
Lindholm
Zadarov
Hronek

as the most expensive free agents at the moment.

7 million for Lindholm
5 million for Zadarov (I think this is overpayment at 5 million but thats just me)
7 million for Hronek
(all the above figure is estimates)

leaves us with 10 million to sign
Myers
Joshua
backup goalie,

replace Bluger and Lafferty, I'm expecting Podkolzin to step in next year as a full time bottom 6 guy, which means, we just need to replace a couple 4th line players.

I think we got this boys.

Brookbank

Nov 15, 2022
The way this fanbase turns on its players is just insane. The same fans who wanted to give up assets to unload Boeser, Garlund, Myers and maybe get a 7th for Miller. Thankfully nobody gets a vote.

Originally the argument was that Hronek wasn't worth what he stood to get. Some would say 7 million was the max they should pay. And not more than Hughs (a contract Hughs signed when he had 3 goals and was a minus 24)

But in the last couple weeks, it is no longer about squabbling on price. The crowd has decided to run him out of town and trade him. Trades are the order of the day.

Thankfully management will do the right thing and resign Hronek for a slight discount which is probably around Hughs current cap hit. 7.5 if we are lucky.

But for the fans who are hung up on price, do you really think it is worth it to blow a hole in the defense by not signing Hronek because he wants 7.8 and you will only go 7.2 ? He's a RHD. Do you really want to go poverty on defense again ? Take him out and everyone else is suddenly logging more minutes. That's how you get the bad version of Myers, Cole and Zadrorov. It will be a disaster. but again, management knows this and Hronek is getting resigned.

lawrence

May 19, 2012
The way this fanbase turns on its players is just insane. The same fans who wanted to give up assets to unload Boeser, Garlund, Myers and maybe get a 7th for Miller. Thankfully nobody gets a vote.

what really scares me about our own fanbase, suddenly thinking, @#$ Hronek, we got Myers and Zadarov..... Zadarov makes 2 thunderous hits in the entire series and suddenly he's a more important asset than Hronek through an 82-game season with ups and downs, the same with Tyler Myers, despite his improvement, we are deep f in shit if Ty Mylers is our number 1 RHD. NEVER MAKE A JUDGEMENT ON A PLAYER BASED ON ONE SERIES, if this was the case we would immediately trade Kevin Bieksa after round 2 of Canucks vs Blackhawks in 2009 he's not an 8 million dollar player.

JimmyJiveJones

Jan 28, 2019
^u guys realise were in a cap era right? for a team thats basically at the ceiling we cant be just throwing money at players just because. People just come up with reasons why he needs to be paid more than hes worth. "This is how much u pay a top pairing defencemen" "RHD are hard to find they have to be paid" "Quinn signed his contract a few years ago, cap has gone up, Hronek is worth more now in terms of % of the cap" "U have to pay more taxes playing in canada, they have to be paid"

I like Hronek, id love to keep him but like everyone, the price has to be right. And in my opinion, his stock has gone down, even b4 this past series with the Preds.

ziploc

Aug 29, 2003
Vancouver
It all depends on the price he demands. If it's reasonable, great. If it's too high, then a trade has to be on the table.

Reactions: MarkMM

Bourne Endeavor

Apr 6, 2009
Montreal, Quebec

Originally the argument was that Hronek wasn't worth what he stood to get. Some would say 7 million was the max they should pay. And not more than Hughs (a contract Hughs signed when he had 3 goals and was a minus 24)

But in the last couple weeks, it is no longer about squabbling on price. The crowd has decided to run him out of town and trade him. Trades are the order of the day.

Thankfully management will do the right thing and resign Hronek for a slight discount which is probably around Hughs current cap hit. 7.5 if we are lucky.

But for the fans who are hung up on price, do you really think it is worth it to blow a hole in the defense by not signing Hronek because he wants 7.8 and you will only go 7.2 ? He's a RHD. Do you really want to go poverty on defense again ? Take him out and everyone else is suddenly logging more minutes. That's how you get the bad version of Myers, Cole and Zadrorov. It will be a disaster. but again, management knows this and Hronek is getting resigned.

You're kind of ignoring context here. People didn't just abruptly turn on Boeser or Myers out of nowhere. The issue has always been they were overpaid for what they brought to the table at the time of said criticism. Boeser was not worth nearly 7M in the last few years and it looked like he wanted out himself. Considering management outright gave him permission to talk with other teams adds credence to that criticism.

Now at least you could argue Boeser had some reasonable excuses for his decline. He's had a litany of injuries, then his dad passed which hit him especially hard.

Myers... doesn't have any real justification. That contract was bad before the ink dried and only got worse. Even this season, where he's legitimately been... mostly good, still doesn't warrant 6M.

Suggesting anyone here wanted/wants to dump any of these players for a 7th is just silly. Nobody has said that. Bringing it back around to Hronek. The whole idea of trading him is to recoup assets if his demands are too high, not punt him out the door for scraps.

Normally, I would agree that 600k is peanuts in the grand scheme of things. Problem is, we're so tight against the cap even that small amount could mean we're losing Joshua or Zadorov. Both of those punch a hole in our lineup. One not easily replaced either.

With all that said, I'm more or less fine with Hronek in the 7s. 8M+ is when it gets to the point re-signing Zadorov and attempting to bring back Tanev is a better gain overall than just having Hronek.

Peen

Rejoicing in a Benning-free world
Oct 6, 2013
^u guys realise were in a cap era right? for a team thats basically at the ceiling we cant be just throwing money at players just because. People just come up with reasons why he needs to be paid more than hes worth. "This is how much u pay a top pairing defencemen" "RHD are hard to find they have to be paid" "Quinn signed his contract a few years ago, cap has gone up, Hronek is worth more now in terms of % of the cap" "U have to pay more taxes playing in canada, they have to be paid"

I like Hronek, id love to keep him but like everyone, the price has to be right. And in my opinion, his stock has gone down, even b4 this past series with the Preds.
yeah i think this is salient

if you start going through and saying we have to keep all of zadorov, myers, cole, hronek, joshua… there won’t be any room for improvement.

there’s value in being able to weaponize capspace. there’s value in some level of roster turn over. this pro scouting staff has done well.

lawrence

May 19, 2012
With all that said, I'm more or less fine with Hronek in the 7s. 8M+ is when it gets to the point re-signing Zadorov and attempting to bring back Tanev is a better gain overall than just having Hronek.

where the !@#$ did the hypothesis that if we sign Hronek we won't have room to sign Zadarov and or Tanev? Why do we keep saying stuff like this?

F A N

Aug 12, 2005
...Bringing it back around to Hronek. The whole idea of trading him is to recoup assets if his demands are too high, not punt him out the door for scraps.

Normally, I would agree that 600k is peanuts in the grand scheme of things. Problem is, we're so tight against the cap even that small amount could mean we're losing Joshua or Zadorov. Both of those punch a hole in our lineup. One not easily replaced either.

Our management team has explored trade options for our star players, stepped up to sign a player (Miller), increased their offer and walked away when they couldn't get it done (Horvat). I fully expect management to explore various options.

Ultimately we run into the same issue as the Red Wings, except that it's more of a pressing problem as we are further ahead. When the trade happened, a lot of Red Wings fans felt that they would be looking for a Dman like Hronek when they are ready to compete. But the Red Wings did have Seider.

Hronek, I think, is very tradeable. We're not returning a RHD replacement unless it's for a player like Jiricek. We can get a top 6 forward and LHD in return. That still leaves a hole on RHD. I'm not sure you can count on an aging Tanev to fill the 1st pairing Dman role for the next two years but a guy like DeMelo might if you can sign him.

Cancuks

Former Exalted Ruler
Jan 13, 2014
At the EI office
Qualify him and is he takes the team to arbitration worst case he gets $6.5 one year. Replace him next offseason with Theodore or Larsson as a UFA.

theguardianII

Jan 30, 2020
Had one of his best games of the year last night 😍😍😍😍😍

Loved that beautiful poke check off of McDavids stick. Was a major reason why McDavid was held off of the score sheet last night.
Improving his trade value every game like that.
The cap crunch the team is in his trade value could help improve the team rather than just searching for roster spots.

He looked good enough to keep but to get quality in a trade quality needs to be traded and the Canucks could be deepest at defence if they sign the rest of the current guys.

Reactions: Flik

Flik

Canucks fan for life
Sponsor
Apr 29, 2010
Vancouver, WA
What if...... when Hronek was chirping the Flames with his "Holiday in 2 days" ditty, he was actually proclaiming "I've been on Holiday for 2 days!" and we totally misread what was said? 🤔

Bourne Endeavor

Apr 6, 2009
Montreal, Quebec
Not gonna lie, trading him is starting to look more and more like the realistic solution. He has been average to downright brutal since the ASB, with the, unfortunately, rare exception.

It will still come down to what he wants and what transactions (UFA or trade) we can make to replace him but it definitely has to be a conversation at this point. When even Myers has stepped up and outplayed Hronek in the playoffs so far. Yeah... it's bad.

Peter Griffin

Feb 13, 2003
Visit site
I remember when a year ago I suggested that Hronek and his agent could be seeking $8M+ I was told “I know nothing about hockey” and that if he was really asking for that much then we’d be thrilled to give it to him as it would mean he was a legitimate top pairing defenseman.

Reactions: Diamonddog01

credulous

Nov 18, 2021
Not gonna lie, trading him is starting to look more and more like the realistic solution. He has been average to downright brutal since the ASB, with the, unfortunately, rare exception.

It will still come down to what he wants and what transactions (UFA or trade) we can make to replace him but it definitely has to be a conversation at this point. When even Myers has stepped up and outplayed Hronek in the playoffs so far. Yeah... it's bad.

the time to trade him was before the trade deadline. what kind of value do you think he has after this playoff performance especially when you take his reported contract expectations into consideration? the canucks are maybe **the** most desperate team for a quality right sided dman. who else out there is gonna see the solution to their problems in hronek knowing vancouver can't wait to get rid of him?

vadim sharifijanov

Oct 10, 2007
the whole point of hronek with hughes, which i always thought was a waste anyway, is to be a puck moving safety valve so if they double team hughes we have this other guy to move the puck at a high level and keep the forecheck honest

if he can’t do this, what good is he?

when tocchet talked after the game about carrying the puck with pressure on your back instead of just auto-flipping it back to them in the neutral zone (and he didn’t say it but also often failing to even clear) i was like, hronek that is your literal job on this team.

two observations going forwards:

1. being that it looks like we’re trying to keep the top pair’s ES minutes down anyway, is putting cole in that spot to be a safe guy for hughes an idea that could work? yes cole has struggled this series but what if he never ever does anything but ian cole things? doesn’t find himself roaming in offensive situations, only makes safe chip outs and easy outlets, and blocks shots and puts himself in smarter places than hronek to relieve the pressure on hughes?

then hronek can do the same things he is already doing with zadorov. i don’t think we lose or gain.

hronek was good in game one, after being mostly not good in round one, but that was mostly on the defensive end. he still wasn’t holding up his end of the bargain as a puck mover.

2. if he doesn’t show that he can be a useful piece moving forward, which i don’t think he can, the good news is he’s worth more now than when we got him. someone will see the 50 pts and big plus/minus numbers and RHS and we can end up ahead of where we started. although we def also need to sign tanev or someone else who can play with hughes.

Bourne Endeavor

Apr 6, 2009
Montreal, Quebec
the time to trade him was before the trade deadline. what kind of value do you think he has after this playoff performance especially when you take his reported contract expectations into consideration? the canucks are maybe **the** most desperate team for a quality right sided dman. who else out there is gonna see the solution to their problems in hronek knowing vancouver can't wait to get rid of him?

We were never going to trade him prior to the deadline after the season he was having. This is the same logic with Kuzmenko last year and Boeser now. Teams simply don't trade players in a position of need when they're working out. It doesn't happen.

As for his value. That really all depends. RHD is a hot commodity that teams will overpay for. One playoff series won't impact too much. Especially since he has no control where we trade him.

credulous

Nov 18, 2021
We were never going to trade him prior to the deadline after the season he was having. This is the same logic with Kuzmenko last year and Boeser now. Teams simply don't trade players in a position of need when they're working out. It doesn't happen.

As for his value. That really all depends. RHD is a hot commodity that teams will overpay for. One playoff series won't impact too much. Especially since he has no control where we trade him.

i'm not saying they should have traded him for some big brain asset management reason. i'm saying if they aren't signing him and knew it back then that was the time to trade him. i simply don't think hronek will return much value after getting ditched by a second consecutive team that really could use a good young rhd

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad