Player Discussion Filip Hronek - Pt. 2

Peen

Rejoicing in a Benning-free world
Oct 6, 2013
A majority of the comps are around the 6.5 figure. Then there’s Chabot and Sergachev in their own world.

The most recent comp is Hanifin, who I think he’s a worse player than.

I also just don’t know how well this player is going to age.

Misko

Sep 30, 2020
With how well the season has gone with Hronek as Hughes' partner, there's no real world where we don't sign Hronek and trade him or something, idk if this team can afford to blindly search for another partner for Hughes atm.

That said my preference would be to sign him to a 1 year qualifying offer and see what he does, or to a shorter deal at 4 years or less. His inconsistent play especially in our zone makes me weary of any long term deal with a big cap, I dont really want to end up with an OEL, Barrie or Klingberg type of dman for the long Haul unless Hronek can show he's a gamer in the playoffs and can clean up his game especially when not on the ice with Hughes.

LemonSauceD

The Negotiator
Sponsor
Jul 31, 2015
Vancouver
After watching Juulsen, Myers, Freidman. and whoever else struggle to keep up with Hughes yesterday, my opinion on Hronek has shifted quite a bit. Hronek is the only defenseman that can really keep up and play off of Hughes. That aspect alone has to have significance.

Hodgy

Feb 23, 2012
After watching Juulsen, Myers, Freidman. and whoever else struggle to keep up with Hughes yesterday, my opinion on Hronek has shifted quite a bit. Hronek is the only defenseman that can really keep up and play off of Hughes. That aspect alone has to have significance.
To be fair, you are comparing him to two players who are not playing regular NHL minutes, and one player who is probably, ideally, a bottom six defensemen.

Lindgren

Jun 30, 2005

To be fair, you are comparing him to two players who are not playing regular NHL minutes, and one player who is probably, ideally, a bottom six defensemen.
I think it's an interesting discussion (which is why I 'liked" both posts).

It seems pretty clear and uncontroversial that Hronek is the only current member of the team who works well with Hughes. But is there an opportunity to secure a player through free agency who's not as good as Hronek, perhaps, but better than Juulsen and Friedman, certainly, a better stylistic fit than Myers, and cheaper than Hronek?

And is Hronek good enough to be the key guy on an effective second pairing, perhaps with Soucy? (If the answer to this question is negative, then I don't think Hronek is worth more than 7 million.)

Too bad Dallas Smith retired.

mriswith

Oct 12, 2011
If we end up paying him 7-7.5 with term and he ends up having to carry the second pairing or play without the Hughes Halo effect for whatever reason long term, a lot of people are going to turn on him.

F A N

Aug 12, 2005

Again, it's a nuanced discussion. A lot of people like to take a black and white approach (and certainly you have to draw the line somewhere), but the discussion is much more nuanced: "Always draft BPA because you can always trade for need... Well where are you getting the young RHD top 4 Dman you need... Well when one becomes available it's okay to overpay for him... But if he wants more than $X AAV you trade him... But who is going to replace him... Best way to acquire one is to draft one..."

It's similar to how there are still some posters who refuse to acknowledge that the Miller trade has been a good one because of timing.

Reactions: IComeInPeace

PuckMunchkin

Very Nice, Very Evil!
Dec 13, 2006
Lapland
It's similar to how there are still some posters who refuse to acknowledge that the Miller trade has been a good one because of timing.
It was good value in a vaccuum.

Weve yet to contend for a second with him. We might get there this year.

I have no clue what the goal of team building is for the people who ignore this fact.

F A N

Aug 12, 2005
It was good value in a vaccuum.

Weve yet to contend for a second with him. We might get there this year.

I have no clue what the goal of team building is for the people who ignore this fact.

What is the vacuum? Miller is a 1C who finished 9th in league scoring. Do you consider the Naslund trade just an okay trade in team history because nobody expected Naslund to contend for the Art Ross at the time of the trade?

I'm far from thinking we are favourites, but technically aren't we contenders? What is the cut off line? I mean we won our division, finished with the 3rd most points in the conference (and there was a time when we were 1st in the league), tied for 6th in overall points, tied for 2nd in RW, If you go by stats, we're certainly in that top 3-4 team group in the conference or top 5-6 teams in the league.

On paper we have two #1Cs, a Norris contender, and a Vezina-calibre goalie among other things.

I'm obviously a homer, but I think the potential is definitely there for this team to do damage. I believe in this team.

PuckMunchkin

Very Nice, Very Evil!
Dec 13, 2006
Lapland
What is the vacuum? Miller is a 1C who finished 9th in league scoring. Do you consider the Naslund trade just an okay trade in team history because nobody expected Naslund to contend for the Art Ross at the time of the trade?

I'm far from thinking we are favourites, but technically aren't we contenders? What is the cut off line? I mean we won our division, finished with the 3rd most points in the conference (and there was a time when we were 1st in the league), tied for 6th in overall points, tied for 2nd in RW, If you go by stats, we're certainly in that top 3-4 team group in the conference or top 5-6 teams in the league.

On paper we have two #1Cs, a Norris contender, and a Vezina-calibre goalie among other things.

I'm obviously a homer, but I think the potential is definitely there for this team to do damage. I believe in this team.
I think this is the year that finally justifies the trade.

LemonSauceD

The Negotiator
Sponsor
Jul 31, 2015
Vancouver
I watched the replay of game 2 yesterday and quite honestly, Hronek is so goddamn atrocious with his decision making.

I’m not even gonna bother talking about the boneheaded play he made back to the point on the empty net against.

On the very first goal, he chases the puck as it’s rimmed around and Pettersson gets beaten to the puck. Hronek pauses for a moment and sees Beauvillier cut infront, and makes such a piss poor effort tying him up that Beauvillier is able to get one of the wackiest tip shots I’ve ever seen. His ability to track his man is terrible.

So many times he lets his man get a complete uncontested shot off and it’s infuriating. His gap control and his spacing is just so off.

IMG_6251.jpeg

IMG_6248.jpeg

Soucy, Zadorov, Myers, and to an extent Juulsen have good to brilliant levels of gap closing and positioning and it’s rare for them to simply let a clean shot off net. Hughes locks his man down and is able to stay infront of his man which is another brilliant way of being able to get infront of the attacker. Hronek? He holds this weird perpendicular angle to the net that quite literally blocks his goaltenders vision and has his entire body turned towards the boards, unable to leverage his stick or body to box or move his attacker to the perimeter, instead allowing his attacker to simply either drive the net or get a clean shot off, in this instance an attacker on his off f***ing side.

His shot selections at the point are bizarre and often get blocked as he has no sort of accuracy to his shot whatsoever. His Hail Mary stretch passes we’ve seen over the course of the season are easily read and neutralized.

In my eyes, he’s not worth the long term investment. Too many defensive flaws.

Jyrki

Benning has been purged! VANmen!
May 24, 2011
溫哥華
On the very first goal, he chases the puck as it’s rimmed around and Pettersson gets beaten to the puck. Hronek pauses for a moment and sees Beauvillier cut infront, and makes such a piss poor effort tying him up that Beauvillier is able to get one of the wackiest tip shots I’ve ever seen. His ability to track his man is terrible.

Hronek picked up Beau just fine, he just takes a second to do so (after Petey starts chasing the pointman) because he first looks back to check whether he needs to cover the man in front of the net. The problem there was that he waits until the shot goes off to tie up Beau, and he got nothing on the first check so the tip went through. So I think more of an attention to detail problem than him being lost on the ice.

Just A Bit Outside

Playoffs??!
Mar 6, 2010
Just solidifying the need to trade him while his value is high in the offseason.

Unless he's coming back for less than what the Nucks originally offered.

Personally would rather try to take advantage of a team who thinks he's a Top 2 and would pay accordingly.

Use the assets to strengthen upfront and on the backend.

Sign a RHD who is a UFA to fill the void temporarily until Willander is ready.

lawrence

May 19, 2012
I watched the replay of game 2 yesterday and quite honestly, Hronek is so goddamn atrocious with his decision making.

I’m not even gonna bother talking about the boneheaded play he made back to the point on the empty net against.

So many times he lets his man get a complete uncontested shot off and it’s infuriating. His gap control and his spacing is just so off.

View attachment 859533
View attachment 859534

Soucy, Zadorov, Myers, and to an extent Juulsen have good to brilliant levels of gap closing and positioning and it’s rare for them to simply let a clean shot off net. Hughes locks his man down and is able to stay infront of his man which is another brilliant way of being able to get infront of the attacker. Hronek? He holds this weird perpendicular angle to the net that quite literally blocks his goaltenders vision and has his entire body turned towards the boards, unable to leverage his stick or body to box or move his attacker to the perimeter, instead allowing his attacker to simply either drive the net or get a clean shot off, in this instance an attacker on his off f***ing side.

His shot selections at the point are bizarre and often get blocked as he has no sort of accuracy to his shot whatsoever. His Hail Mary stretch passes we’ve seen over the course of the season are easily read and neutralized.

In my eyes, he’s not worth the long term investment. Too many defensive flaws.

the problem here is that you took his defensive mistakes, but you didn't put in the positives he's done for the team. the positives outweigh the negatives by a fair margin. Of course I am against signing him for more than 7.5 million but still. he's only 26. Kevin Bieksa was a shit defencemen for a long time with defensive flaws too, until 2011, ironically.

lawrence

May 19, 2012
If we end up paying him 7-7.5 with term and he ends up having to carry the second pairing or play without the Hughes Halo effect for whatever reason long term, a lot of people are going to turn on him.
for all his flaws we be a weaker team without him too, because whoever is tasked to be Hughes new partner will probably struggle a lot more. with that said, that means, our coach will keep trying different partners with him, which than Quinn hughes game will also start to change as he also has to adjust to the ever changing of d partners, so thats a huge negative, can also affect Hughes overall offensive game, which means unlikely he will kiss 90 points again, because we decided to get rid of his best d parnter

Regardless of that, Hronek has been Hughes best d partner since Hughes joined the leauge. I say we keep him and work on his game, like we did with Bieksa who was decent but had huge flaws entering the leauge also and struggled for a good period of time, before he figured it out. Also I think its good to alrtnerating the pairing sometimes. I personally thought that was the plan from the start, have 2 pairing that can generate offence but we decided to "all in" on one pairing.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad