Player Discussion Filip Gustavsson

thestonedkoala

Going Dark
Aug 27, 2004
at that point, what is really the problem then having Fleury and Gus?

Read the room….
Fleury has always been known to be wildly inconsistent. I don't like the the Wild are committed to him beyond this year. I absolutely think he should be getting paid less than 3.5 million a year especially for a team struggling with cap space.

Arturia Pendragon

Humble Optimist
Sponsor
Jan 14, 2015
Holy Grail
Fleury has always been known to be wildly inconsistent. I don't like the the Wild are committed to him beyond this year. I absolutely think he should be getting paid less than 3.5 million a year especially for a team struggling with cap space.

Cool. Now that you think that, go make a change for the better.

Lmfao.

Last edited:

Digitalbooya

By order of the Peaky Blinders
Sponsor
Jul 10, 2010
Wisconsin
You realize we are spending less than $5M total on goaltenders, right? A lot of teams spend $5M+ on just their starter. We are on the cheaper end of things.

thestonedkoala

Going Dark
Aug 27, 2004
You realize we are spending less than $5M total on goaltenders, right? A lot of teams spend $5M+ on just their starter. We are on the cheaper end of things.
This year.

Gus is going to need a raise next season, which brings me back to the point. Talbot would have expired, Minnesota could have that money to upgrade their forwards and give Gus a bit of a bigger contract and then they could have found a cheaper backup.

How much are teams spending on their backups?

Also Minnesota deploys a different system then those teams with five million dollar goaltenders where they get the bulk of the starts.

Digitalbooya

By order of the Peaky Blinders
Sponsor
Jul 10, 2010
Wisconsin
This year.

Gus is going to need a raise next season, which brings me back to the point. Talbot would have expired, Minnesota could have that money to upgrade their forwards and give Gus a bit of a bigger contract and then they could have found a cheaper backup.

Also Minnesota deploys a different system then those teams with five million dollar goaltenders where they get the bulk of the starts.
If Gus gets $2.5M, that’s still only $6M total and it’s only for one year. Then it’s back to $3.5M ish

Dr Jan Itor

Dec 10, 2009
MinneSNOWta
This year.

So do you think that having Talbot and Gus on this team right now was an option?

Reactions: TaLoN

thestonedkoala

Going Dark
Aug 27, 2004
So do you think that having Talbot and Gus on this team right now was an option?
Possibly. We don't know what Ottawa would have wanted for Gustavsson other than Talbot. There is a possibility they could have accepted another player for Gus.

thestonedkoala

Going Dark
Aug 27, 2004
And they also possibly might not have. What we know, is that Talbot actually got the deal done.
Would Talbot wanted out if Minnesota didn't sign Fleury? Who would have Minnesota got as backup if not Gustavsson or Fleury? There are a lot of possibilities out there, we cannot really speculate.

We can only hope that Gus pulls a Binnington or Murray in the playoffs.

Dr Jan Itor

Dec 10, 2009
MinneSNOWta
Would Talbot wanted out if Minnesota didn't sign Fleury? Who would have Minnesota got as backup if not Gustavsson or Fleury? There are a lot of possibilities out there, we cannot really speculate.

I think he's on record saying that he wouldn't have. But if Gus ends up being good and signing Fleury is the first domino that got everything rolling, then whatever.

Arturia Pendragon

Humble Optimist
Sponsor
Jan 14, 2015
Holy Grail

Thanks for this… you, of all people 🙄

Wasted Talent

Sponsor
Aug 9, 2011
I wonder if Gus is inserting himself in the Vezina conversation as a runner-up.

Ullmark is most likely winning it but is Gus too unknown to get top 3?

Bazeek

Registered Lurker
Sponsor
Jul 26, 2011
Exiled in Madison
Good thing Billy G "lucked" into Gus.
I'd be surprised if Guerin had a lot of insight to offer on goalies, buuuut...

As someone that jokes a lot about Guerin chasing after former Penguins players, if that's what happened here and it panned out this well it'd be pretty crappy to not give him full marks. So good work.

Spurgeon

Nov 25, 2014
MinneSNOWta
Won't have enough starts to get serious consideration.
He’s probably going to finish with 40-42 starts. I think that’s certainly enough to get consideration.

If he finishes 2nd in SV% and GAA, then I really can’t believe they’d exclude him as a finalist. 20-30 games is understandable to not be considered, but starting half your team’s games is a large enough sample size IMO.

TaLoN

Red 5 standing by
Sponsor
May 30, 2010
Farmington, MN
He’s probably going to finish with 40-42 starts. I think that’s certainly enough to get consideration.

If he finishes 2nd in SV% and GAA, then I really can’t believe they’d exclude him as a finalist. 20-30 games is understandable to not be considered, but starting half your team’s games is a large enough sample size IMO.
When you're competition has played 20-30 games more? Not likely IMO

BagHead

Dec 23, 2010
Minneapolis, MN

Ben Bishop did steal a sizable portion of votes in 18-19 with 46 games played and a .934 save%, so if he keeps it up and gets that many starts I could see Gus getting some votes, yeah. Might suck in regards to re-signing him, though.

Reactions: Spurgeon

AKL

Danila Yurov Fan Club President
Sponsor
Dec 10, 2012
21 games left in the season and he's at 26 starts, right? Unless Dean really starts to lean on him down the stretch, which I don't see happening, how does he finish with any more than 38 starts? He'll probably get some 4th and 5th place votes for sure. I don't see him finishing top three in this scenario.

Chalk it up to Guerin being a great GM I guess. Recognized he needed an upgrade on a Talbot/Fleury tandem, personally scouted and developed Gus into a Vezina caliber guy and had the genius foresight to instruct Dean to start him in less than half the teams games to keep the extension cost low. Manager of the century.

• Haha
Reactions: Spurgeon

Parax

Aug 26, 2018
21 games left in the season and he's at 26 starts, right? Unless Dean really starts to lean on him down the stretch, which I don't see happening, how does he finish with any more than 38 starts? He'll probably get some 4th and 5th place votes for sure. I don't see him finishing top three in this scenario.

Chalk it up to Guerin being a great GM I guess. Recognized he needed an upgrade on a Talbot/Fleury tandem, personally scouted and developed Gus into a Vezina caliber guy and had the genius foresight to instruct Dean to start him in less than half the teams games to keep the extension cost low. Manager of the century.
Voters only vote for top 3. I expect he'll get some votes, but there are 4 goalies close statistically with 50%+ more shots faced and Ullmark who is better statistically with still a higher workload. At this point there's a clear top 5 and Gus is #6.

AKL

Danila Yurov Fan Club President
Sponsor
Dec 10, 2012
Voters only vote for top 3. I expect he'll get some votes, but there are 4 goalies close statistically with 50%+ more shots faced and Ullmark who is better statistically with still a higher workload. At this point there's a clear top 5 and Gus is #6.

Oh I guess I just assumed it was like the other awards that do 4th and 5th. In that case I'm not sure I expect him to get any, but would be nice to see him get a few.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad