Prospect Info: Filip Gustavsson (G)

bert

Nov 11, 2002
Visit site
What??? He's one of the worst goalies in the league this season. Dead last in GAA. Even worse than Skinner and Samsonov:
View attachment 771261
View attachment 771262
View attachment 771263
You were no where to be found last year.... He's had a bad start. Was amazing against the sens and he still is a very talented goalie who is elite technically. Has an amazing track record. Is a good young player in the league. He didn't give up on the sens... Dorion traded him for a 35 year old Ufa. Why do you dislike him so much? It's not his fault Dorion dealt him.

Dan Patrick

Mar 11, 2020
You were no where to be found last year.... He's had a bad start. Was amazing against the sens and he still is a very talented goalie who is elite technically. Has an amazing track record. Is a good young player in the league. He didn't give up on the sens... Dorion traded him for a 35 year old Ufa. Why do you dislike him so much? It's not his fault Dorion dealt him.

I wouldn’t read so much into pointing out Guss has been objectively bad this year. Goalies are voodoo and it’s possible the guss buss never gets back to his numbers from last year. I think it’s perfectly reasonable to respond to a weird bump bemoaning losing a goaltender who has not played well this year with his stats.

AchtzehnBaby

Global Matador
Mar 28, 2013
Hazeldean Road
I wouldn’t read so much into pointing out Guss has been objectively bad this year. Goalies are voodoo and it’s possible the guss buss never gets back to his numbers from last year. I think it’s perfectly reasonable to respond to a weird bump bemoaning losing a goaltender who has not played well this year with his stats.
Just like Talbot - he had a shitty year with the sens and bounced back

Reactions: Dan Patrick

Tnuoc Alucard

🇨🇦🔑🧲✈️🎲🥅🎱🍟🥨🌗
Sep 23, 2015
Looking at his development as a whole rather than just this season where Minnesota's had a bad start as a whole and their pitfalls are largely not goaltending related.

He developed into a #1A right when we traded him trying to secure our goaltending.

was never a 1A in Ottawa, and was and is still a season or two from being a 1B or 1A, his number aren’t quite there yet.

yes his numbers from last season are good, but just like his las season in Ottawa, he’s not yet proven to be consistent enough, to be considered a 1A… and that is why so far this season, he is still developing….

1700660236400.png

LudwigVonKarlsson

Fall of Pierre
Oct 17, 2013
Ottawa, ON
was never a 1A in Ottawa, and was and is still a season or two from being a 1B or 1A, his number aren’t quite there yet.

yes his numbers from last season are good, but just like his las season in Ottawa, he’s not yet proven to be consistent enough, to be considered a 1A… and that is why so far this season, he is still developing….

View attachment 771478
Looks like one good year, one bad year kinda guy so far.

Big Muddy

Dec 15, 2019
Goalies look good playing behind a good team and bad playing behind a bad team. And, water is wet.

bert

Nov 11, 2002
Visit site
Just like Talbot - he had a shitty year with the sens and bounced back
When you watch them they are nothing alike though. Gus moves incredibly well and efficiently very little holes in his game. If a player beats him its because its an excellent shot or a tip/rebound. Talbot loses his net and gets out of position all the time. Would be scary to have a guy like Gus in the Kings net right now.

Goalies look good playing behind a good team and bad playing behind a bad team. And, water is wet.
Gus was pretty damn good in front of a horrible sens team a few years ago.

The year after he only played for Ottawa when half the team had covid and Murray was faking an injury so he didnt have to go in. Once they got everyone back and started playing better he was on a 2 way deal so he was sent down and Murray/Forsberg played in front of a full squad.

Last edited:

swiftwin

★SUMMER.OF.PIERRE★
Jul 26, 2005
When you watch them they are nothing alike though. Gus moves incredibly well and efficiently very little holes in his game. If a player beats him its because its an excellent shot or a tip/rebound. Talbot loses his net and gets out of position all the time. Would be scary to have a guy like Gus in the Kings net right now.
Yet Talbot is the 2nd best goalie in the league right now:
1700670980795.png

bert

Nov 11, 2002
Visit site
View attachment 771544
I find your approach to this situation fascinating. Dorion acquired and walked away from both of these players but you have choosen to back the one that was actually worse in Ottawa. Gus was lights out over 39 games in front of a much worse team last year and Talbot has done this over 13 games on a way better team.

Eye test easily backs who the better goalie was in Ottawa and is now.

Why is it that you have taken this position Swiftwin? Doesnt seem very logical.

BankStreetParade

Jan 22, 2013
Ottawa
Guy with almost 400 career games, only 1 bad season (2018-19) up to the point of getting acquired by Ottawa with very good and consistent career numbers...
vs.
Young player with potential but almost no NHL experience and inconsistent performance...

...in a season where the team needed stability and experience in nets to make a push for the playoffs.

Hmmmm, really makes you scratch your head how they thought Talbot was a better option for them than Gustavsson.

Micklebot

Apr 27, 2010
View attachment 771544
Just about any goalie in the league can have stretches where they play really well, what differs the elite from the journeyman is how long they can keep it up for.

I think Talbot was better than given credit for last year, but I also wouldn't bet on him keeping up at his current pace.

Big Muddy

Dec 15, 2019
Gus was pretty damn good in front of a horrible sens team a few years ago.

The year after he only played for Ottawa when half the team had covid and Murray was faking an injury so he didnt have to go in. Once they got everyone back and started playing better he was on a 2 way deal so he was sent down and Murray/Forsberg played in front of a full squad.
I agree with your first sentence. My post was a generalized statement.

Micklebot

Apr 27, 2010
It's almost like some constant factor makes goalies have bad stats here and better numbers elsewhere. It's been going on for the last 5 years.

Can't put my finger on it.
Forsberg looked great two years ago, Korpi had a rough start but I've been happy with him since.

On the flip side Gus has struggled in Minnesota this year, and their analytics suggest they are still playing decent defense. Matt Murray analytically did worse in Toronto than he did here.

swiftwin

★SUMMER.OF.PIERRE★
Jul 26, 2005
I find your approach to this situation fascinating. Dorion acquired and walked away from both of these players but you have choosen to back the one that was actually worse in Ottawa. Gus was lights out over 39 games in front of a much worse team last year and Talbot has done this over 13 games on a way better team.

Eye test easily backs who the better goalie was in Ottawa and is now.

Why is it that you have taken this position Swiftwin? Doesnt seem very logical.
My position has always been "goalies are voodoo". I'm just amused at the whole situation considering so many people were acting like we gave up a franchise goalie for nothing.

bert

Nov 11, 2002
Visit site
My position has always been "goalies are voodoo". I'm just amused at the whole situation considering so many people were acting like we gave up a franchise goalie for nothing.
I mean they gave up a goalie they traded a substantial piece for who was developing who they invested in developing who was 24 years old for a 35 year old UFA. That is and was worse. It wasnt hard to identify when you watched them.

How anyone defends that defies logic other than wanting to argue or having an agenda.

OD99

Oct 13, 2012
Guy with almost 400 career games, only 1 bad season (2018-19) up to the point of getting acquired by Ottawa with very good and consistent career numbers...
vs.
Young player with potential but almost no NHL experience and inconsistent performance...

...in a season where the team needed stability and experience in nets to make a push for the playoffs.

Hmmmm, really makes you scratch your head how they thought Talbot was a better option for them than Gustavsson.
Guy who can't keep a job anywhere in the league and who was a UFA, for a well regarded, young goalie that can grow with the young core.

Yes, it very much made me think and it still does.

swiftwin

★SUMMER.OF.PIERRE★
Jul 26, 2005
I mean they gave up a goalie they traded a substantial piece for who was developing who they invested in developing who was 24 years old for a 35 year old UFA. That is and was worse. It wasnt hard to identify when you watched them.

How anyone defends that defies logic other than wanting to argue or having an agenda.
Tons of young goalies get tossed around as soon as they become waiver eligible. Gustavsson sucked the last year we had him. He sucks again this year.

The fact that you continue to claim that the goalie who is currently 2nd last in the league (with little proven experience) is somehow better than the goalie who is 2nd best in the league (with lots of proven experience) defies logic.

The fact that you continue to call Gustavsson a "substantial" piece says alot about your agenda. A young waiver eligible underperforming goalie is not a substantial piece. Look around the league. For example, Nedelkovic was a literal Calder finalist, and he got traded for barely more than what we got for Gustavsson. He still ended up back in the AHL and wasn't re-signed by Detroit.

Nowadays, the NHL is a great big goalie carrousel. There are only a handful of "franchise" goalies like Vasilevskiy. Everyone else is part of the great carrousel where teams are focused on the short term, trying to have two decent options. Gustavsson is just another cog in that carrousel.

vs.

Nailed it.

Reactions: BoardsofCanada

Alf Silfversson

Jun 8, 2011
Forsberg looked great two years ago, Korpi had a rough start but I've been happy with him since.

On the flip side Gus has struggled in Minnesota this year, and their analytics suggest they are still playing decent defense. Matt Murray analytically did worse in Toronto than he did here.

Over the last 5 years only 4 teams have worse 5-on-5 SV% than the Ottawa Senators.

Anecdotal evidence aside our goalies under perform, statistically anyway.

Loach

Jun 9, 2021
Tons of young goalies get tossed around as soon as they become waiver eligible. Gustavsson sucked the last year we had him. He sucks again this year.

The fact that you continue to claim that the goalie who is currently 2nd last in the league (with little proven experience) is somehow better than the goalie who is 2nd best in the league (with lots of proven experience) defies logic.

The fact that you continue to call Gustavsson a "substantial" piece says alot about your agenda. A young waiver eligible underperforming goalie is not a substantial piece. Look around the league. For example, Nedelkovic was a literal Calder finalist, and he got traded for barely more than what we got for Gustavsson. He still ended up back in the AHL and wasn't re-signed by Detroit.

Nowadays, the NHL is a great big goalie carrousel. There are only a handful of "franchise" goalies like Vasilevskiy. Everyone else is part of the great carrousel where teams are focused on the short term, trying to have two decent options. Gustavsson is just another cog in that carrousel.

Nailed it.
If he's not a substantial piece, than I guess you're saying the trade with Pitts that he was a part of was a bad trade and PD made a mistake.

bert

Nov 11, 2002
Visit site

Nailed it.
You guys have no clue how to identify a goalie. Gus and Nedeljvkovic are nothing alike. Gus has pedigree is a 6'2 goalie and fits every single attribute you look for in a starter. Ndeljkovic was a late round undersized goalie.
Gus was a high pick who won best goalie in the World Juniors. The sens essentially traded Zibanejad for him. Secondly he did not 'suck' at any point of time he was on the Ottawa Senators. He played behind one of the worst rosters assembled at the NHL level in his second year here after having a lights out season the year before. Ottawa had half an AHL team for 90% of his starts in 2022 he also went down to an undermaned team in belleville and was good. He even beat a really good Stars team at the start of the year when he had an NHL caliber roster.

You did the exact opposite of the bolded last year you hypocrite.

You left out all the tangible points I made then cherry picked one to hang your hat on.

Goalies also develop later than most players they gave up on him while he was on the up swing.

Answer this who is a better team this years Kings or last years Wild? Whats a more tangible sample size 13 games or 39. Whats a more valuable age for a professional athlete 24 or 35?

Keep defending Dorions bad moves its a great look!

Last edited:

Xspyrit

DJ Dorion
Jun 29, 2008
Montreal, Canada
We lost that trade even if it was just for last year, not much else to say on the subject. At least, we might have found a solution going forward with Korpisalo, fingers crossed. Doesn't fix the team's play outside of the offensive zone but at least that goaltending duo can be solid

bert

Nov 11, 2002
Visit site
We lost that trade even if it was just for last year, not much else to say on the subject. At least, we might have found a solution going forward with Korpisalo, fingers crossed. Doesn't fix the team's play outside of the offensive zone but at least that goaltending duo can be solid
This is also accurate I like this tandem. PD did a good job signing Korpisalo so far into the contract. I like Forsberg too.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad