Fighting is NOT a necessary part of hockey...

Status
Not open for further replies.

MoreOrr

B4
Jun 20, 2006
Mexico
This topic came up in another thread and it once again got me thinking about the attitude that so many "fans of hockey" have about fighting being a fundamental part of hockey. So I decided that it's been quite some time since I stated my opinion on this. Even though I know this goes against majority sentiment, I know that there are also many that agree with me.

I know exactly how this will go... about 60+% of the posts will be claiming I, the OP, don't understand hockey, that if I don't like fighting I should watch some other sport, that they don't want the NHL to become a ********* European-style League, etc, etc.

I've been watching hockey for almost 40 years, and during that time I've seen the fights, and I've seen how they've been a "part of the game"... but they've been a "part of the game" only because they have existed, not because they need to exist, and not because hockey needs fighting, and not because fighting is part of what hockey is. So many fans have been weaned on fighting as part of hockey that they can't imagine it any other way. Somehow, I and a percentage of other fans also have seen the fights but we never came to consider them as part of the game. I don't know how I came to see it differently, but as I see it logic supports my position.

In what other sport does having a Penalty for something mean that the "something", in this case fighting, is considered "part of the game"? If it's a penalty, and it has always been, then officially it's not considered as an acceptable "part of the game". I've personally always wanted to see players play hockey, which includes lots of hitting but not with your fists. I used to also be a fan of boxing, and in boxing of course I looked forward to seeing a good fight, but a fight in hockey was always for me been a distraction from the game.

I accept that fighting exists and that there will always be at least the occasional fight. And I truly do absolutely love the raw physical play and hitting that takes place in hockey, or at least North American hockey. And we see even more of that physical intensity in the Playoffs, but it's then that we also should see that fighting is not necessary, because in the Playoffs it's a very rare occurance.

To all of those who say that they wouldn't accept the NHL if fighting was virtually eliminated, I say to them... If hockey without fighting would be so boring, then go watch basketball..., or if you'd prefer not to spend your time and money on another sport, then play monopoly.
I think most of you are talking out of your *****, because if you truly enjoy hockey then you'll still enjoy it without fighting, though maybe somewhat less. Sorry about that, but if you want to see fights then you should look elsewhere.

What I'm saying is: I simply do NOT equate fighting as being a necessary element in hockey!

Every fight should automatically entail a game misconduct / unsportmanlike conduct penalty with immediate ejection from the game; and if the fight occurs in the 3rd Period or later then the player shouldn't be allowed to play in the team's next game. That's the penalty I'd have for Fighting.
EDIT: Oh, and I would change the "Instigator" penalty, and make it that if it's deemed that there was an instigator then that player's team simply receives a minor penalty. I don't see the reason why one fighter should be penalized extremely more than another, other than giving his team the minor. Three Instigators and then it's an automatic one full game suspension with a fine.

I don't intend, at least, to argue this point much further in this thread, because truly it's not a central issue of mine, but I did want to initiate the topic and let the rest of you have at it.

Last edited:

passive voice

Jun 16, 2009
Prepare...
trell2.jpg

CurtisLoew

Dec 24, 2003
As long as there is hitting there'll be fighting. I'd rather two guys drop the gloves and square off than have shady stickwork and cheapshots behind the play.

disgruntleddave

Aug 31, 2009
Canada
I don't mind fighting, but I wish we got rid of staged fights.

Fights off the draw are the stupidest, most pathetic spectacles in hockey. I just face_plain every time.

On the other hand, a huge hit or a dirty play followed by a fight is fine by me.

I doubt any of the real fans of the game would miss it if staged fights were removed.

OlfactoryHughes

Aug 8, 2007
Northern California
I don't mind fighting, but I wish we got rid of staged fights.

Fights off the draw are the stupidest, most pathetic spectacles in hockey. I just face_plain every time.

On the other hand, a huge hit or a dirty play followed by a fight is fine by me.

I doubt any of the real fans of the game would miss it if staged fights were removed.

i don't like these fights, the "you just made a nice hit, so now im going to fight you".... hitting is a part of the game and if you do it cleanly, you shouldn't have to get into a fight for it.

on the other hand, dirty hits, dirty stickwork, and all around douchebaggery are all great reason to fight, and let the players police themselves. There are many many disrespectful players in this league that do things that look like they intend on injuring other players, in this case fighting must remain in the game. I actually wish there was more fighting, for the right reason, maybe we wouldn't see so many hits to the head if those same guys had to answer the bell.

For staged fights, I agree, they are stupid, enforcer vs. enforcer is just a show, even if they think it means something, it really doesn't.

JimEIV

Feb 19, 2003
Last night, I brought up the topic of NHL fans becoming less tolerant of the violence in hockey that I grew up with (and love) with my wife over dinner.

Her response to me was...

"What do you expect, this is the generation that grew up wearing a helmet to ride their bicycle down the street."

Sens With Benefits

Feb 4, 2010
Canada
Last night, I brought up the topic of NHL fans becoming less tolerant of the violence in hockey that I grew up with (and love) with my wife over dinner.

"What do you expect, this is the generation that grew up wearing a helmet to ride their bicycle down the street."

/Thread

ps. :D :handclap:

PSUJorge

Mar 5, 2010
State College, PA
Not saying I'm opposed to fighting in hockey, because I enjoy the fights. That said, its not essential and plenty of other high contact sports with hitting do not have fighting.

Dogbert*

There must be a reason why anyone who's been directly involved with the sport at the pro level - almost to a man - say that fighting is essential and belongs in the game.

Lomark

Nov 9, 2009

Too bad your thread got deleted you were 100% correct. Hockey has become alot less exciting, games back in the 90's were so much better in every way. Rule changes are ruining the game and I just feel sad for those that never got to experience the era with Forsberg, Jagr, Lindros, Sundin, Leetch, Stevens etc. That last video still you posted still makes me sad btw, and yet I believe that era was far superior. It's all about PP these days. I mean fine, do take away some of the terrible hooking and holding that was going on but don't ruin the game ffs. Phantom calls and crying all over the place is what we have now...

And on topic: take away fighting and that's the last straw. I will never watch an NHL game ever again. That's a promise.

Epsilon

#basta
Oct 26, 2002
South Cackalacky

No offense, but that comment by your wife is incredibly stupid.

kinggelato

Nov 20, 2008
There must be a reason why anyone who's been directly involved with the sport at the pro level - almost to a man - say that fighting is essential and belongs in the game.
I think its more that its always been that way. More tradition than anything else.

Lomark

Nov 9, 2009

Haha awesome :laugh:

decadentia

Jun 21, 2007
New Brunswick
I don't intend, at least, to argue this point much further in this thread, because truly it's not a central issue of mine, but I did want to initiate the topic and let the rest of you have at it.

So essentially coming in to stir the pot and then get a bag of popcorn.

I personally think it's deeply integrated into the game and acts as a venting system. This has been discussed a million times however, it's like bringing up below, never turns out well

youth-in-asia-demotivational-poster-1253050775.jpg

snaggle toof

Aug 29, 2006
position.

To all of those who say that they wouldn't accept the NHL if fighting was virtually eliminated, I say to them... If hockey without fighting would be so boring, then go watch basketball..., or if you'd prefer not to spend your time and money on another sport, then play monopoly.
I think most of you are talking out of your *****, because if you truly enjoy hockey then you'll still enjoy it without fighting, though maybe somewhat less. Sorry about that, but if you want to see fights then you should look elsewhere

How about if you don't like the fighting you go watch basketball. If you can't except that fighting is a part of this sport then maybe its not the sport for you. Sorry about that but if you don't want to see fights perhaps you should look elsewhere

MoreOrr

B4
Jun 20, 2006
Mexico
Standing up for your teammate=:handclap:
Staged crap at the faceoff=:facepalm:

And hey, again I'm not saying that it should be expected to eliminate fighting from hockey or that fights should absolutely never happen. If a player engages in a fight because of some situation that happened on the ice, then that's simply how it is. But the League should apply a system of punishment for fighting that demonstrates clearly to everyone that fighting simply is NOT considered acceptable conduct. Player ejection from the game states that clearly, IMO.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad