Kings News: Fiala to for 2022 first-round pick and Brock Faber

AbsentMojo

F-ing get up and hunt! Cmon Todd!
Apr 18, 2018
twitter.com
I don't think this is true. McLellan literally said a month or so prior that Kaliyev needs to be in the top-6 next season.
I remember that - thought it was Blake who said it.. Thats why im surprised there were no spots in the top 6 for Kaliiyev without moving one of the vets to the 3rd line

BringTheReign

Jul 3, 2008
San Diego
Brock Faber returning to the University of Minnesota

Faber turned down signing after his sophomore year AND the opportunity to have his first NHL game be last season against his hometown team, the Wild. I'll grant you that it has never been confirmed, but these college free agents never are until they head back for the year that grants them FA status. I'll also add his comments below from after the trade that pretty much sell the idea as well.

Brock Faber’s Minnesota dreams comes true: ‘Wild and Gophers. … Those were always the 2 dream landing spots’

“Ever since I started playing, those were always the two dream landing spots. And what do you know?
“I went to the Ottawa game, too, earlier in the season when we won in overtime. This was when we beat Colorado,” Faber said. Asked if he called the Wild “we” when he was still a Kings prospect or if this was a development now that he has suddenly become a Wild prospect, Faber laughed: “No, I’ve always called them, ‘We.’ Nothing changed. I couldn’t shake it. The Wild’s always been my team.”

Telos

In Byfield We Must Trust
Aug 16, 2008
Reno, NV
Would trade two Fabers for Fiala again. Despite all the mistakes this team has made recently, Fiala wasn't one of them. It has been a long time since the Kings have had someone of his caliber on the wing capable of PPG production. He has proven to be capable of it regardless of his linemates. He is the one that makes his linemates better. He's a player we should be building around.

Trash Panda

May 12, 2021
Brock Faber returning to the University of Minnesota

Faber turned down signing after his sophomore year AND the opportunity to have his first NHL game be last season against his hometown team, the Wild. I'll grant you that it has never been confirmed, but these college free agents never are until they head back for the year that grants them FA status. I'll also add his comments below from after the trade that pretty much sell the idea as well.

Brock Faber’s Minnesota dreams comes true: ‘Wild and Gophers. … Those were always the 2 dream landing spots’

Guys are kidding themselves if they think Faber had any interest in hanging around LA.

Raccoon Jesus

Todd McLellan is an inside agent
Oct 30, 2008
I.E.
Some people won't take any smoke as any sort of remote proof unless a guy comes out and says "haha yeah I held Blake hostage because I have no intention of playing for anyone but Minny." Those quotes above are as much evidence as I've ever seen re: a guy leveraging his college career, even if he simply intended to stay thru his senior year.

Blake had to pull the trigger with SOME prospect and while I know a lot of us were/are REALLY high on Faber we are still drowning in RHDs. faber is really starting to look like a Sanderson type 2-3D who can log big minutes but not be THE all-around guy, like a Ryan McDonagh, where you can be a low-end 1D due to excellent 5v5/PK play but not really the offensive bent to run a PP. Credit to Blake for drafting him and credit to Brock for just continually elevating himself. but you've gotta give to get and outside of one Hart Kopitar performance this org hasn't had a PPG player since Ziggy Palffy exactly 20 years ago this year.

bmr

Jan 23, 2013
Fiala and Kaliyev really make Kempe expendable. Kaliyev actually has more points than Kempe with one fewer game played and fewer minutes. I hope Blake realizes this.
Would you care to revisit this, sir? Kempe has proven to be probably the best pure shooter on the team and has made himself even better in defensive elements of his game. Kaliyev can produce on the PP, but the jury is still out on him being a complete player. Kempe's contract is pretty nice if he can maintain his level of production. He was pretty good in the playoffs last year as well.

Reactions: Surf Nutz

bland

Jul 1, 2004
I'm so glad we got him. When a player of his caliber can be had at the price we paid, you have to do it.
In a vacuum? Sure.

In reality, no, you don't. Cost was too high, return is insignificant regardless of how well he plays. The team wasn't ready to take a step forward yet and you could easily add that type of player when you are ready. Now expectations are increased and the kids who need those minutes to grow and thrive are kept to 8 minutes on the 4th line in roles not suited for their skill set or scratched entirely.

Glad you guys enjoy your highlights, keep them handy when the team is bounced early.

Reactions: FSL KINGS

Trash Panda

May 12, 2021
In a vacuum? Sure.

In reality, no, you don't. Cost was too high, return is insignificant regardless of how well he plays. The team wasn't ready to take a step forward yet and you could easily add that type of player when you are ready. Now expectations are increased and the kids who need those minutes to grow and thrive are kept to 8 minutes on the 4th line in roles not suited for their skill set or scratched entirely.

Glad you guys enjoy your highlights, keep them handy when the team is bounced early.
Cost was more than appropriate, the timing can be argued.

Reactions: King'sPawn

King'sPawn

Enjoy the chaos
Jul 1, 2003
You know, this explains my feelings better than any attempts to say my problems with the trade before.

Faber + 1st is a great price for a player of Fiala's caliber. But my issue is with the current state of where the Kings are and where they're going.

Reactions: Raccoon Jesus

FSL KINGS

May 10, 2021
At the time, King's had some more pressing needs. It may have been better to bring in a defender first. Goal wasn't a known issue at the time the trade was made.

Blake had been trying to land a top6 forward for some time, rumored to be after guys like PLD & Laine. They aren't always available & if they are sometimes the GM trades them to the Blues for a second & 3rd line plug instead of your offer with a 1st.

Was the timing correct? Yes. You take Fiala when he's available. You can almost always find a second pair Shutdown D.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad