Ferraro Vs. Ronning

The Pale King

Go easy on those Mango Giapanes brother...
Sep 24, 2011
Zeballos
Who was the better player? Both guys ended up with similar career stats, played through the same era. Both of 'em seemed like mid-tier 1st liners or 2nd line guys. Both were feisty, but not overly physical. And both of them bounced between teams towards the end of their careers.

Ferraro scored more goals, and seems to have the better playoff peak (92-93, 20 points in 18 games to lead the Turgeonless Isles on a Cinderella run), but Ronning had the better playoff years in general in Vancouver, and had a very respectable 86 points in 126.

Cliff Ronning Stats | Hockey-Reference.com
Ray Ferraro Stats | Hockey-Reference.com

I have an opinion on this already but I'm curious as to what others think. Neither had any hardware or nominations outside of long-shot late career Byng votes. Who do you take, head to head?

ronduguayshair

Oct 23, 2017
Wow haven’t thought about Cliff Ronning for years. I think the last time was playing NHL 99.

Mr. Met

Nov 8, 2017
Wow haven’t thought about cliff robbing for years. I think the last time was playing NHL 99.
Cliff Robbing, pictured below stealing hockey sticks.

image.jpg

bukwas

Stanley Cup 2022
Sep 27, 2017
I always liked Ronning and have/had a soft spot for old Bruins(bring em back!) players so I'll take Cliff but really there wasn't a big difference.

canadianmagpie

Jan 26, 2010
Just saw Ronning play in the Regina Pats alumni game. Standing at ice level, I was taller than him even with him in skates.

I've got a soft spot for Ronning so I'll go with him.

The Pale King

Sep 24, 2011
Zeballos
When no one was looking Cliff Ronning took forty hockey sticks. That's 40 sticks. That's as many as four tens. And that's terrible.

That's a whole team's worth of sticks, plus two for the top-line guys! I don't think Ferraro can compete with that.

puckpilot

Oct 23, 2016
To those who haven't figured it out. The stick thing with Ronning is a joke. He own's Base Hockey a custom stick manufacturer.

Any way, the two players are very different in style. Ronning was the slick playmaker. Ferraro was a mucker in front of the net that picked up a lot of garbage. He does a segment on local sports radio and he said something to the effect of when he scored 40 goals, the total distance travelled was 40 feet. Not an exact quote.

Ferarro was the original Little Ball of Hate. Ronning didn't go out looking for it.

Ronning was the better skater, way shiftier. Ferarro had the size. Ronning is listed as. 5'8 and I call BS on that. I've stood three feet in front of him when I bough a custom stick from his company and he's about the same height as me and I'm 5'5.

In terms of pure talent, Ronning wins. In terms of grittiness, Ferraro has it. In terms of facial hair, Ferraro's stach for the win.

I won't make a judgement on who was better, because Ronning was my favorite Canuck during that period, so I'm as bias as bias can be.

The Panther

Mar 25, 2014
Tokyo, Japan
I'd go with Ferraro here. I remember him doing some gritty stuff in the playoffs and doing some big plays at big moments (set up the OT goal that eliminated Pittsburgh, for example). Ronning also had some good playoff moments, but he tended to be the guy that would look amazing for the first few games and then disappear in the last few games.

Reactions: The Pale King

Jim MacDonald

Oct 7, 2017
I think this post is incredibly good....just because the players are very interesting to put against each other, both around the same height, Ferraro a bit of a bigger guy. Makes me wish I would've "followed" hockey more when these guys were in their prime. I'll take Ferraro (anyone know where the nickname "Chicken Parm" came from by the way? Was that a John Buccigross thing?). To me the 92-93 playoff run looks pretty good, and I won't hold the high minus seasons against him in Atlanta. That's a tough spot to go to, being the veteran guy on a brand new team. I look at Ronning's stats, and not that he's a slouch...but I expected maybe a bit better/higher assist numbers.

Reactions: The Pale King

SabbathBloodySabbath

Oct 8, 2017
Erþō
(anyone know where the nickname "Chicken Parm" came from by the way? Was that a John Buccigross thing?).

JOHN: The moniker was due to a heinous accident that happened prior to an "NHL2Night" three years ago. Ray put his shirt and tie on and proceeded to eat our chicken parm takeout, which always breaks the number one commandment of TV --don't get dressed unless you really have to. A small piece fell off his fork and into a little pool of marinara that caused a tsunami that stained his shirt and tie. So he had to go out there and cover it up and strategically hide it. Between that, NHL players' penchant for chicken parm, and our Italian heritage, we just threw it out there one day and it stuck.

Out of Bounds: An interview with John Buccigross

Reactions: Sentinel

Jim MacDonald

Oct 7, 2017
JOHN: The moniker was due to a heinous accident that happened prior to an "NHL2Night" three years ago. Ray put his shirt and tie on and proceeded to eat our chicken parm takeout, which always breaks the number one commandment of TV --don't get dressed unless you really have to. A small piece fell off his fork and into a little pool of marinara that caused a tsunami that stained his shirt and tie. So he had to go out there and cover it up and strategically hide it. Between that, NHL players' penchant for chicken parm, and our Italian heritage, we just threw it out there one day and it stuck.

Out of Bounds: An interview with John Buccigross

Thank you Sabbath! That is seriously some funny stuff!!!!

sr edler

gold is not reality
Mar 20, 2010
Ronning, most definitely. Was a key piece on the early 90s Canucks and also had an underrated back end to his career with s couple of 60+ points seasons in Nashville.

Spirit of 67

Nov 25, 2016
Aurora, On.
Going with Ferraro.

Mostly because he does a hit on local radio and he's hilarious.

One other spot Ray has Cliff is in the trash talk department. Ray was one of the great beakers out there.

The Pale King

Sep 24, 2011
Zeballos
Ronning was a bit more effective later in his career, but I think Ferraro peaked higher and for longer. I think if you swapped him and Ronning on the 94 Canucks, they win the Cup that year. I get that he was a heart and soul guy on that team, but there's nothing to suggest Ferraro wasn't as well, and I think he brought a bit more to the table offensively. Having a shoot-first guy beyond Bure would have allowed the 2nd guy to get away from the Leetch matchup, whereas Ronning was more of a playmaker.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad