Confirmed with Link: Ferhavary re-signs: 3 years @ $2.675 mil per year

trick9

Jun 2, 2013
Good deal.

I wouldn’t have hated year less but thought the 3rd year would have driven the price up more.

3rd pairing money for a guy who hopefully plays in a bigger role than that.

twabby

Mar 9, 2010
Not that it’s going to surprise anyone, but I think this contract is bad. There’s no value here unless he takes a huge step forward and there’s been no indication this will happen. People were quick to blame COVID for his falloff in 21-22 but he followed it up with another replacement level year last year. He’s the type of player you trade for actual assets and replace for close to league minimum on the scrap heap. For a cash strapped team that extra money going to a third pairing guy is pretty wasteful.

Hopefully he’s one that bucks the trend, but I don’t think there’s any reason to believe he’s primed for improvement. Laviolette, for all of his faults, squeezed a lot of juice out of guys like TVR, Gustafsson, Chara, Orlov, and Jensen. He couldn’t do the same for Fehervary so I wouldn’t expect Carbery do be able to either.

RedRocking

Jan 8, 2022
NoCal
Not that it’s going to surprise anyone, but I think this contract is bad. There’s no value here unless he takes a huge step forward and there’s been no indication this will happen. People were quick to blame COVID for his falloff in 21-22 but he followed it up with another replacement level year last year. He’s the type of player you trade for actual assets and replace for close to league minimum on the scrap heap. For a cash strapped team that extra money going to a third pairing guy is pretty wasteful.

Hopefully he’s one that bucks the trend, but I don’t think there’s any reason to believe he’s primed for improvement. Laviolette, for all of his faults, squeezed a lot of juice out of guys like TVR, Gustafsson, Chara, Orlov, and Jensen. He couldn’t do the same for Fehervary so I wouldn’t expect Carbery do be able to either.
I, for one, am shocked!

I kid…Happy 4th y’all.

Langway

In den Wolken
Jul 7, 2006
If Pacioretty doesn't start on LTIR they won't have cap space for any extras as-is. All for...whatever this roster is. Which further underlines that they probably should have dumped Mantha's contract during the buyout window when they had the chance rather than presumably treat him like a positive asset. Were that to instead lead to Oshie being moved it'll be one of their bigger unforced errors.

Previously their moves were such that they could credibly go into the season not doing much else. But unless Pacioretty starts on LTIR it's hard to see how even this modest off-season is workable.

Capitals40

Nov 14, 2014
Summerville, SC
I think it is a good deal for both parties. He is still young, a good skater, and the Caps can use his physical presence. Plus, he likes to give Cindy a hard time.

Rayquaza64

McMichael>McDavid
May 30, 2019
Virginia
If Pacioretty doesn't start on LTIR they won't have cap space for any extras as-is. All for...whatever this roster is. Which further underlines that they probably should have dumped Mantha's contract during the buyout window when they had the chance rather than presumably treat him like a positive asset. Were that to instead lead to Oshie being moved it'll be one of their bigger unforced errors.

Previously their moves were such that they could credibly go into the season not doing much else. But unless Pacioretty starts on LTIR it's hard to see how even this modest off-season is workable.
They could play 11F/7D until pacioretty is healthy, which if his word is accurate then it seems like not a very long wait. Not saying it’s a good strategy, nor the strategy i believe they go for, but they could in theory just start the season without making any other moves and being “fine”

EHCler

May 9, 2003
Visit site
good deal - wel will have players on IR to start the season. Important is what happens in 2 years time.
Sweat out the contracts for the time being.

SherVaughn30

Jan 12, 2010
Los Angeles

Translation, Twabby doesn't like to get a FEVER!

Not bad. Third year makes the slightly high AAV palatable, especially if the cap really does go up next year. Add in a new D coach with real development chops and this could end up being solid value, regardless of what the spreadsheets say.
It could go up as much as $4 million.

Melkor

Jul 22, 2012
Auckland, New Zealand
I prefer them to sign a homegrown player whom they have very few of on the roster on a really mid deal than watch them trade 10 2nd and 3rd round picks 5 years in a row for over the hill Ds of a same or worse skillset like this franchise likes to do since the beginning of time.

Midnight Judges

HFBoards Sponsor
Sponsor
Feb 10, 2010
Not that it’s going to surprise anyone, but I think this contract is bad. There’s no value here unless he takes a huge step forward...

23 year-old defenseman? I mean yeah, I do expect him to take some big steps forward. And why not? There have been numerous young home-grown guys who did precisely that but the Caps let them walk before they blossomed.

SherVaughn30

Jan 12, 2010
Los Angeles

I don't think some ppl on this board are understanding the Mantha situation regarding why the buyout didn't happen. Simply put, Ted doesn't allow it or he nixed it! I bet ya if BMac was the GM for most other teams, he would have been allowed to buyout Mantha! We have seen players on a good deal of teams get bought out(in the buyout window and not), where the players cap hit was in the $5 - 6 million per year range.

The bottom line, the Caps Owner is a lot different from the other owners in the NHL. In my view, Ted is cheap despite being a billionaire(his net worth is supposedly $2.1 billion *Google it if you don't believe me). This is an owner who absolutely dislikes firing employees(unless forced to or waits till their contract expires) as he has been quoted saying that he finds it counterproductive. I believe the only times the Caps bought out contracts in their history under Ted, was Ben Clymer(I think the buyout was like $300k), Nylander($5 million), Jeff F'ing Schultz($3 million *he would end up winning a Cup before OV did, with the LA Kings). Correct me if I missed anyone or got these players/salary numbers wrong.

* Ted has a long history of suppressing negativity because it hinders his marketing machine ownership. When there are underlying negative issues, he will find ways to sweep the dirt under rug so to speak.

zappa4ever

Music is the Best!
Feb 10, 2010
MD/VA/WV intersection
works for me
great skater who has got an aggressive side as far as delivering hits, perhaps with the new coaching staff he'll grow more of his defensive game
hard to see how he would regress in any way so locking him up for 3 years is a good thang

Reactions: Calicaps

Langway

In den Wolken
Jul 7, 2006
I don't think some ppl on this board are understanding the Mantha situation regarding why the buyout didn't happen. Simply put, Ted doesn't allow it or he nixed it!
My point was more a trade which would have then led to a buyout by someone else (ala Bailey to Chicago). It would have cost them a future second but it would have been well worth it compared to the impact of a buyout. Or now needing to find someone that considers him to be positive value.

Reactions: Jags and Rayquaza64

Vilica

Jun 1, 2014
I don't think some ppl on this board are understanding the Mantha situation regarding why the buyout didn't happen. Simply put, Ted doesn't allow it or he nixed it! I bet ya if BMac was the GM for most other teams, he would have been allowed to buyout Mantha! We have seen players on a good deal of teams get bought out(in the buyout window and not), where the players cap hit was in the $5 - 6 million per year range.

The bottom line, the Caps Owner is a lot different from the other owners in the NHL. In my view, Ted is cheap despite being a billionaire(his net worth is supposedly $2.1 billion *Google it if you don't believe me). This is an owner who absolutely dislikes firing employees(unless forced to or waits till their contract expires) as he has been quoted saying that he finds it counterproductive. I believe the only times the Caps bought out contracts in their history under Ted, was Ben Clymer(I think the buyout was like $300k), Nylander($5 million), Jeff F'ing Schultz($3 million *he would end up winning a Cup before OV did, with the LA Kings). Correct me if I missed anyone or got these players/salary numbers wrong.

* Ted has a long history of suppressing negativity because it hinders his marketing machine ownership. When there are underlying negative issues, he will find ways to sweep the dirt under rug so to speak.

Buying out Mantha is an awful decision that costs the Caps more this year and next year, which is why BMac has not done it.

Let's start with the same premises, so there's no confusion. Mantha's contract is a cap hit of 5.7m for 1 year, with a salary of 6.5m. BMac has surveyed the rest of the NHL's GMs, and none of them are interested in acquiring Mantha at full salary for any positive value. There's some consideration to the cost of his replacement on the roster, but let's ignore that for the moment.

A Mantha buyout pays him 4.333m to go away, at the cost of 1.366m on the cap this year, and 2.166m next year. Without replacing his roster slot, you save 4.333m on the cap this year at the cost of 2.166m next year.

At the other end of the spectrum, let's assume a fully retained Mantha would be able to be offloaded for mimimal cost/return - much like Duclair, Johansen, K. Hayes. In that scenario, you have 2.85m in dead cap, saving 2.85m in cap with no 2nd year costs. Since all of his contract is salary, that fully retained portion would be 3.25m, or a million less than a buyout.

The breakeven point where the buyout and the retention cost the same amount of cap space this year is ~25% - if you're able to retain less than that, trading Mantha saves more this year. We've already established trading Mantha at full retention costs less than a buyout. Why are you encumbering your cap next year for 2 million, and costing yourself an extra million dollars, to create at most 1.5m extra cap space this year?

Ridley Simon

HFBoards Sponsor
Sponsor
Feb 27, 2002
Marin County — SF Bay Area, CA
Buying out Mantha is an awful decision that costs the Caps more this year and next year, which is why BMac has not done it.

Let's start with the same premises, so there's no confusion. Mantha's contract is a cap hit of 5.7m for 1 year, with a salary of 6.5m. BMac has surveyed the rest of the NHL's GMs, and none of them are interested in acquiring Mantha at full salary for any positive value. There's some consideration to the cost of his replacement on the roster, but let's ignore that for the moment.

A Mantha buyout pays him 4.333m to go away, at the cost of 1.366m on the cap this year, and 2.166m next year. Without replacing his roster slot, you save 4.333m on the cap this year at the cost of 2.166m next year.

At the other end of the spectrum, let's assume a fully retained Mantha would be able to be offloaded for mimimal cost/return - much like Duclair, Johansen, K. Hayes. In that scenario, you have 2.85m in dead cap, saving 2.85m in cap with no 2nd year costs. Since all of his contract is salary, that fully retained portion would be 3.25m, or a million less than a buyout.

The breakeven point where the buyout and the retention cost the same amount of cap space this year is ~25% - if you're able to retain less than that, trading Mantha saves more this year. We've already established trading Mantha at full retention costs less than a buyout. Why are you encumbering your cap next year for 2 million, and costing yourself an extra million dollars, to create at most 1.5m extra cap space this year?
And there it is.

Anyone else have questions about this? Let’s move on

Reactions: Calicaps

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad