Post-Game Talk: Feline

Status
Not open for further replies.

WhereO Is Kakko

Mar 24, 2022
Kreider is a weirdo lol.

He has the best hands in the league when the puck is flying through the air, but when he actually has control of it, they turn to stone.
I always go to “hockey IQ” with him.

I don’t think he has any at at all.

Imagine skating in on Bobrovsky having zero thoughts, then with 5 feet left you think you’ll beat him 5-hole.

80shockeywasbuns

Feb 12, 2022
Yes, and we certainly started out that way, but we've been playing more high-event games recently and doing ok.

If I had a choice, lower is probably better because the more chances are in the game, the more is left up to randomness, but at the end of the day, if it's pond hockey, and we end up with more chances, that's good. If it's low-event, and we end up with less, like the NJ series, that's bad.

I want to outplay the opponent, or at the very least, be competitive. I don't care how. I'm not going to complain about a sloppy game where we were the better team.

We weren't competitive in the playoffs. It was low-event and they had most of it. That's the worst kind.
I ask for even less. Just play 6 NHL d men and 12 NHL forwards. Finally they got the defense right. The forwards…

Also I think higher event hockey is preferable if you have a significant goalie advantage, assuming the xG are roughly equal. More saves Igor has to make but more chances for Schmid to poop his diaper. Obviously this is all an oversimplification but if the other team is going to put a sumo in net for 7 games again I’d hope we focus on generating enough for it to actually get exposed

Last edited:

Row I Goon

Nov 14, 2018
At least I saw the Flyers lose v Seattle…

IMG_9290.jpeg

AlaBlueShirt

Mar 14, 2018
Hot Take #1

Maybe we need some drills on how to shoot 1 v goalie because no one on these team knows how to deke or snipe a corner without hitting the organ player when they're in close.
Martin St. Louis was the last ranger who knew how to pick a corner. Panarin has that ability but his shot isn’t that hard. I believe it’s the combination of having bad skill coaches, practicing against vezina goalies and over-passing in a lot of different situations.

TopShelfSnipes

May 5, 2011
USA
With the exception of Vesey, the 4th line is truly a dumpster fire.

Would really rather see Belzile > Pitlick, and it would be incredible if we could find a way to move the albatross Goodrow contract. There are just too many slow, bad shooting, bad passing players with blinders on who do nothing except break up the occasional play. Also think we'd see more Cuylle at ES with a different C if Bonino could go to 4th line where he belongs since the PK usage and not wanting to use Bonino 15+ minutes mean less Cuylle at ES. Maybe someday soon we'll try 50-22-26 for the third line?

Martin St. Louis was the last ranger who knew how to pick a corner. Panarin has that ability but his shot isn’t that hard. I believe it’s the combination of having bad skill coaches, practicing against vezina goalies and over-passing in a lot of different situations.
This is why Vladimir Tarasenko was a great fit on this team, and if not for the Patrick Kane trade, that would have been even more obvious to anyone with a pulse.

I still think there's a place for him on this year's team, especially if Chytil's done for the regular season.

Crease

Chief Justice of the HFNYR Court
Jul 12, 2004
I was fine with one of Bonino or Pitlick in the lineup. They’re both in the lineup right now plus Brodzinski. Kakko should be back next month, but it doesn’t sound like Chytil is close, so they really should try to acquire another middle-six forward, ideally a center.

Reactions: Rangers in 7

Slaydagnar

Oct 18, 2015
Vero Beach, FL
I was at the game and despite the loss, it was entertaining. A few thoughts:

-Rangers didn't bring their A game but didn't play like crap either. They generated chances as I believe MH pointed out.

-Florida is a good team and it would not shock me if they had another deep playoff run. They're tough and don't give up a lot of space despite having an aggressive forecheck.

-PP was garbage but Florida was really aggressive on their PK. I actually hope they didn't create a blueprint on how to beat our PP because better teams may be able to emulate what FL did.

-Quick seemed fine and I doubt Igor would have changed the result. That save he had with his leg in the air early on was incredible.

-Fox, Truba and Wheeler stuck out as having subpar games. I'm not a "Wheeler-hater" but he looked like he did not want to be there.

-Laffy, Panerin and Cuylle looked good. Miller was noticeable, good and bad.

-Too many times where we got caught in our own zone and their forecheck forced a turnover or a sloppy defensive zone exit.

-Lots of Rangers fans in South Florida at the game. It's kind of weird going to a hockey game with palm trees around but it beats the bitter cold.
Laf was garbage
I was yelling at him to get off the ice.
Probably worst game I’ve seen him play despite the one point.
He was slow and losing puck battles the whole night. He was garbage

leetch99

Leetch66 Joined 2007
Oct 5, 2017
PEI Canada
Multiply the intensity by 3.....that will be Florida in the playoffs . Kreider best sit it out if we meet them as it could be rough .

leetch99

Leetch66 Joined 2007
Oct 5, 2017
PEI Canada
You have to play all 60 minutes.
Quick largely sensational.
CK and Trouba need to start finishing checks again.
Some questionable calls against us.
Brilliant play from Panarin (as usual).
I should stop reading ...that about sums it up . Trouba might be playing hurt but we know the other guy...that clutch man....nothing wrong with him .

Reactions: CasusBelli

Shesterkybomb

Dec 30, 2016
The lineup is incomplete but they could make it better than it is.

Panarin Zib Laf
Kreider Trochek Wheeler
Cuylle Goodrow Vesey
Fill in the rest and play them sparingly

Kreider has gotten too comfortable again, he needs to be taken away from his buddy and we need to find a way to get more results at even strength.

SnowblindNYR

HFBoards Sponsor
Sponsor
Nov 16, 2011
Brooklyn, NY

Imagine skating in on Bobrovsky having zero thoughts, then with 5 feet left you think you’ll beat him 5-hole.

Dude came into the league as a speed demon that could score off the rush and transformed his game into one of the best net front players in NHL history. No hockey IQ?

leetch99

Leetch66 Joined 2007
Oct 5, 2017
PEI Canada
Also- Will Cuylle might be a 20 goal scorer if he was playing with offensively abled linemates.
That is an easy fix.....Cuylee up...Mr Clutch DOWN. I doubt it will hurt Kreider numbers and might elevate Cuylee's in doing so.....and it makes us a bit more aggressive in our top 6 . At the very least it might remind Clutch he is a power winger and some more power could be used on the 5 on 5 shifts along the boards .

Last edited:
Reactions: skipmowerman

Bacon Artemi Bravo

Sep 20, 2007

Ive always thought his decision making is bizarre. He's incredibly gifted in many ways but he still makes very odd decisions - with and without the puck, all the time.

Gordon Bombay

Remptar
Oct 13, 2006
I must be getting older, the sloppiness was killing me inside. We played their game though and could've won. If it's a 7 game series we'll be okay.

Gap control and taking the body are musts if we're gonna go far. All too often guys are chasing, waving sticks at players leading to great chances.

Florida also did a great job on the forecheck with our zone breakouts. We really struggle when teams just pressure us non stop.

All in all, I guess it was a good game. Personally, I'd like to see some things cleaned up as it's not just a one off with some of these issues.

Reactions: mandiblesofdoom

80s Kid

Feb 20, 2023
AZ
Laf was garbage
I was yelling at him to get off the ice.
Probably worst game I’ve seen him play despite the one point.
He was slow and losing puck battles the whole night. He was garbage
Worst game? Yeah I don't know about that.

I'm definitely not an expert and so certainly possible Laf had a bad game that I didn't pick up on. That being said, my general impression was that the biggest issues last night were D-Zone exits which were mainly the fault of the defense and the 4th line.

In addition to forechecking, FL seems to be at their best when screening the goalie and/or causing chaos in their offensive zone. It's certainly possible that Laf lost some puck battles and/or was slow to engage which contributed to this but I didn't catch it. I just thought Laf and Bread looked pretty solid in terms of trying to create offense.

Honestly. Wheeler stood out as the biggest problem in terms of the eye test although Trouba had his moments as well.

I wasn't sure what to make of the Laf penalty in the 3rd. They showed it a couple times in the arena but tough to tell if he was being reckless or just bad luck but not a good time to take a penalty.

will1066

Your positivity is not welcomed
Oct 12, 2008
Reactions: savebyrichter94

DekeR

Jan 11, 2008
I guess what bothered me the most was the PP and it's one dimensional play. There are two ways to negate a bull rush at the points and the NYRs got stuffed because they do not practice with any answer. Between that and the slot miscues or softness in that area were the prime problems.

Reactions: 80s Kid

Mike in Houston

Apr 20, 2015
Houston, TX
Anyone watching the game on actual MSG last night experience poor audio? I was watching the game through ESPN+ stream and it was awful. Switched momentarily to the Florida broadcast and the audio was terrific.

cheech70

Oct 26, 2013
NNJ
Too much reaching last night..positives...79 is starting to ascend..bodes well moving forward. 21 has been invisible since face shield..13 should have 5 more goals with a little luck..Wheeler is the 1st odd man out...maybe put 24 there when he gets back...Riccola looked good last night...56 is descending...Whats the deal for Elias? 1st,Jones,Robinson,2nd,another 1st?

Reactions: DekeR

Svenhart2008

Jan 22, 2009
Jacksonville, FL
Kreider had quite a few years where he couldn’t convert on his opportunities for shit. If Laf is going the same route, we have some player on our hands. Dude could have scored 8 over the last two games.

Reactions: cheech70
Status
Not open for further replies.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad