Fedorov inducted into Michigan Sports Hall of Fame

Yemack

Oct 30, 2007
saw from Malik report that Sergei got the honor

it's a great and maybe a sign that there is more to come later? I'd definitely welcome it.

Fedorov will be eligible for the Hockey Hall of Fame next year, but he didn't want to speculate about his chances. But another honor, the retiring of his No. 91 jersey, could be waiting in the wings.

"Well, certainly he's somebody that's got to be considered to put his jersey in the rafters in Detroit for everything he did for our franchise," Holland said. "Hopefully he gets into the Hockey Hall of Fame, too. Certainly he's been a great player, and he did it over a long period of time."

My first hockey jersey was Red Wings #91. I'm genuinely happy for Fedorov. :handclap:

TimoneX

Jul 30, 2012
Nice! I recall a game against the Pens that Feds totally dominated. After the game Mario said Fedorov was playing on another level. It was a really fun game to watch.

Think this is just a preview and Feds sees the HHOF this year, and rightly so.

Retire91

Stevey Y you our Guy
May 31, 2010
Very nice to see, I didn't realize he was living back in Michigan I thought he was a GM in the KHL.

Mount Suribachi

Nov 15, 2013
England
Interesting quote from KH...always thought Feds would have to wait for Kenny to retire and Mr I to depart before he would be retired. That quote gives me hope.

tsbilly

May 20, 2012
Raise #91 to the rafters!

For those of us who got to watch his entire career, there will never be another player like him in our lifetime. As great as Datsyuk and Zetterberg are offensively, Federov was better. As great as Datsyuk and Zetterberg are defensively, Federov was better.

Federov was a straight up beast of a hockey player. He won the "fastest skater" competition and the "hardest shot competition" (not in the same year, but who cares?) at the all star game. I'm pretty sure that will not happen again.

People rag on him because of the contract situations and the perceived lack of effort.

The contracts I can see being an issue, but he was obviously bad at that. See his non-hockey investments if you want more detail on his economic ineptitude. This is not a hockey-related issue.

The effort? He made it look easy when he was dominating the best players in the world and people are upset when he did the same during losses, which were few and far between during his era. Did you see his goal against Roy during game 7? The definition of "nonchalant" is Federov during that goal, in game 7.

tsbilly

May 20, 2012
I feel strongly about this so I most post again.

If you watch Game 4 against the Ducks in 2003 (It is a terrible thing, so maybe don't), in the latter part of the third period, compare Federov to every other player. He was giving heart and soul out there while every other player was going through the motions. That game crystallized my love for him more than any victory ever did.

There was no hope for the team yet he was flying around like a madman. He was even illegally checking ducks into the boards at the point while the rest of the Wings were twiddling their thumbs. He held out hope long after the others gave up.

Sure, he left for the Ducks later, but damn. Have you ever been through a divorce? That ***** you up! Also, see his contract ineptitude as referenced above. The guy had issues, and a meddling family, but he was one hell of a hockey player.

He won 3 cups for the Wings. RETIRE 91!

Last edited by a moderator:

Actual Thought*

Fedorov=3 cups in my book. Without him and Nick? Stevie might never have gotten a sniff. I will be happy to see 91 retired. At his peak Fedorov was the best hockey player in the world.

Hammettf2b

oldmanyellsatcloud.jpg
Jul 9, 2012
So California
Raise #91 to the rafters!

For those of us who got to watch his entire career, there will never be another player like him in our lifetime. As great as Datsyuk and Zetterberg are offensively, Federov was better. As great as Datsyuk and Zetterberg are defensively, Federov was better.

Federov was a straight up beast of a hockey player. He won the "fastest skater" competition and the "hardest shot competition" (not in the same year, but who cares?) at the all star game. I'm pretty sure that will not happen again.

People rag on him because of the contract situations and the perceived lack of effort.

The contracts I can see being an issue, but he was obviously bad at that. See his non-hockey investments if you want more detail on his economic ineptitude. This is not a hockey-related issue.

The effort? He made it look easy when he was dominating the best players in the world and people are upset when he did the same during losses, which were few and far between during his era. Did you see his goal against Roy during game 7? The definition of "nonchalant" is Federov during that goal, in game 7.
I will cry like no other when the #91 finally gets raised to the rafters. Fedorov was and is still and always be my favorite player of all time!!! I'm crying right now thinking about it. :cry:

Konnan511

#RetireHronek17
Sponsor
Jul 29, 2008
Sarasota, FL
He was a great athlete in this state for a long time and he has put tons of money and time in Detroits youth. Couldn't have happened to a better Michigander.

Detroit Sports*

Always was my favorite player. Was sad when he left. Even though he was a jerk to me personally as a kid I think I hated him for like 3 hrs lol. He was too good to hate LOL

Million dollar question is WHEN WILL THE RED WINGS RETIRE HIS NUMBER? And when is he eligible for the HOF? He deserves both IMO!

19 for president

Apr 28, 2002
I think Feds gets his number retired a year or two after he makes the Hall. Time is helping to heal the rift, really glad he came back an played in the Alumni game. Hopefully he'll play in the one next year if they have it.

Detroit Sports*

I think Feds gets his number retired a year or two after he makes the Hall. Time is helping to heal the rift, really glad he came back an played in the Alumni game. Hopefully he'll play in the one next year if they have it.

Never understood the hatred he received. Helped the wings win 3 cups. Took less money to leave as a **** you to the Illitchs for low balling him in the earlier years. How can you boo a guy that was one of the pillars in 3 champions and over a decade of world class play? Fans are dumb...:help:

TatarTangle

Sep 28, 2011
Detroit
Never understood the hatred he received. Helped the wings win 3 cups. Took less money to leave as a **** you to the Illitchs for low balling him in the earlier years. How can you boo a guy that was one of the pillars in 3 champions and over a decade of world class play? Fans are dumb...:help:
Because fans, especially Red Wing fans, think athletes owe them something.

The Zermanator

In Yzerman We Trust
Jan 21, 2013

Wow, we actually completely agree. Maybe he will get his number retired after all!:laugh:

As a side note, I wonder if Fedorov could be a GM candidate for Detroit once Holland is promoted or retires? He has the experience with CSKA Moscow. And as Holland said, Fedorov was important in defining the cerebral, puck possession style that has been so successful for the Wings. It stands to reason he'd continue to pursue that philosophy if he became the Wings GM.

Electric Eric

#91 To the Rafters!
Feb 10, 2014
Portland -> Netherlands
Wow, we actually completely agree. Maybe he will get his number retired after all!:laugh:

As a side note, I wonder if Fedorov could be a GM candidate for Detroit once Holland is promoted or retires? He has the experience with CSKA Moscow. And as Holland said, Fedorov was important in defining the cerebral, puck possession style that has been so successful for the Wings. It stands to reason he'd continue to pursue that philosophy if he became the Wings GM.
Huh, that's an interesting thought. I don't see it happening for a while thought. Feds would have to be brought into the fold and essentially start his doing his due diligence. Not sure if that's going to happen.

Claypool

Jan 12, 2009

Fedorov would have to spend several seasons as an assistant GM in the NHL before anyone would consider him to run an organization, much like Yzerman did.

rx7dryver

Apr 11, 2009
As great as Datsyuk and Zetterberg are offensively, Federov was better. As great as Datsyuk and Zetterberg are defensively, Federov was better.

I agree and will go further.

The top players then are better than the top players now.

Federov, Sundin, Yzerman, Sakic, Forsberg, Bure, Hull, Lidstom, Bourque, Hasek, Roy were just plain better than the best players today Crosby, Ovechkin, Stamkos, Getzlaf, Towes, Weber, Suter, Keith, Rinne, Lundqvist.

GrafSk8r12

Jul 4, 2011
This is fantastic. Hopefully the HHOF is next, then his number up in the rafters.

Also, too much "Federov" in this thread :shakehead

rx7dryver

Apr 11, 2009
This is fantastic. Hopefully the HHOF is next, then his number up in the rafters.

Also, too much "Federov" in this thread :shakehead

I actually spelled it right but went back and spelled incorrectly when I seen how the post I quoted spelled it:laugh:

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad