Tennis: Federer, Nadal, Djokovic: How many majors will they have and who will hold the record

DaaaaB's

Apr 24, 2004
Nadal was a better all court player than Federer. He had better results on grass than Federer did on clay for example.

Something else to consider is Nadal spent his entire career up against both Federer and Djokovic's prime years.

Federer was able to dominate the 04-08 period where Nadal hadn't reached his prime yet and same with Djokovic. He was able to rack up 12 slams in an era where outside of clay his stiffest competition was Andy Roddick and David Nalbandian.

Most of Nadal and Djokovic's haul has come with the other at the top of their game and for a good portion of that also Federer.

I realize there was a brief period where both Nadal and Federer were out for an extended time with injuries and ineffective when on court and during that time Djokovic cleaned up like it was nobody's business, but even that only accounts for 4-6 slams.

I should also add that Nadal has 8 slams outside of the French, not 6. 2 at each of AO and Wimbledon and 4 at the US.
Yeah, I meant to type 8 not 6. You made some really good points that I wasn't considering tho. At this point, I'd say I wasn't giving Nadel enough credit.

Foppberg

Nov 20, 2016
Summerside, PEI
Updated predictions after the 2022 French Open.

Nadal: 23 ('23 FO)
Djokovic: 21 ('22 Wimby)
Federer: 20

I've got either Medvedev or Alcaraz winning the 22 USO, and starting with that major I expect a changing of the guard from the GOAT generation to the next/sunshine generation of players born close to or after the millennium.

Also expecting Federer to retire this year and Nadal the next. As for Djokovic while he's got more tennis in him than his GOAT peers I don't think he'll ever be the same irresistible force he used to be. Moreover I both hope and expect that the crowd and other intangibles will propel the leading lights of the next generation over the finish line against him – if and when he gets another chance to catch Nadal for the all-time GS record.

I dunno, it was just last year where he was a match away from winning the Golden Slam. I think he definitely still has it in him for another year, two would be stretching it but I could see it.

Not going to lie, Federer as #3 in the GOAT debate just feels wrong. I agree with it from a GS/wins perspective, but he still has an aura that the other two just don't.

Reactions: kihei

Maestro84

May 3, 2018
Toronto
Why would you look at it in such a narrow scope. So because Federer didn't win two French Opens he's not as good as Nadel. How about his 6 tour final wins to Nadels zero. Nadel only has 6 GS wins outside the French Open. Like I said, he's the king of clay and the other two were better all around players.
He actually has 8 majors outside clay (2 AO, 2 WI and 4 USO), that's the same career total as Jimmy Connors who's an all-time great. If we elimated the entire surface of clay, Rafa is still 4th all time in slams.

Also, Rafa was able to win each major at least twice which is an achievement only him and Novak have done in the modern game, while Federer has not. The sentiment that Rafa isn't as versatile simply doesn't hold true anymore, he's a dominant all-court player who also happens to be a god on one of the surfaces

Maestro84

May 3, 2018
Toronto
I dunno, it was just last year where he was a match away from winning the Golden Slam. I think he definitely still has it in him for another year, two would be stretching it but I could see it.

Not going to lie, Federer as #3 in the GOAT debate just feels wrong. I agree with it from a GS/wins perspective, but he still has an aura that the other two just don't.
Oh I totally agree as I always kinda associated tennis GOAT with Federer but now I think he's #3 of the big three. I hope Rafa and Djokovic don't go tooooo far past Federer (i.e. more than 4-5 slams more) because that would do the big 3 concept some injustice for future generations who never got to watch them up close like we did as they're separated by the thinnest of margins

Reactions: Foppberg

Foppberg

Nov 20, 2016
Summerside, PEI
Oh I totally agree as I always kinda associated tennis GOAT with Federer but now I think he's #3 of the big three. I hope Rafa and Djokovic don't go tooooo far past Federer (i.e. more than 4-5 slams more) because that would do the big 3 concept some injustice for future generations who never got to watch them up close like we did as they're separated by the thinnest of margins.
I dunno.. Nadal/Djokovic will end up with more but I don't think it's a slam dunk on who's the GOAT. Longevity counts and that's where they have a clear advantage over him, but I take peak Federer over anyone... Except peak Nadal at RG.

I can't see them getting that many though, we've been hearing for years that the big 3 is coming to an end and here they are.. But I do think the end is coming. This time in 2024 I don't think they'll be competing for slams. Unless Nadal gets a bionic foot.

Reactions: kihei

kihei

McEnroe: The older I get, the better I used to be.
Jun 14, 2006
Toronto
Oh I totally agree as I always kinda associated tennis GOAT with Federer but now I think he's #3 of the big three. I hope Rafa and Djokovic don't go tooooo far past Federer (i.e. more than 4-5 slams more) because that would do the big 3 concept some injustice for future generations who never got to watch them up close like we did as they're separated by the thinnest of margins
I think the 20 GS threshold will always be a benchmark number no matter what each players' eventual total is. While I know how special each player is, it would defy history and the process of aging for any of these guys to achieve 25 slams. Not impossible, but highly improbable.

Troubadour

Feb 23, 2018
I dunno.. Nadal/Djokovic will end up with more but I don't think it's a slam dunk on who's the GOAT. Longevity counts and that's where they have a clear advantage over him, but I take peak Federer over anyone... Except peak Nadal at RG.

I can't see them getting that many though, we've been hearing for years that the big 3 is coming to an end and here they are.. But I do think the end is coming. This time in 2024 I don't think they'll be competing for slams. Unless Nadal gets a bionic foot.
But peak Federer was losing to pre-peak Nadal. He was lucky to get away with Miami 2005. Had he lost that one, we can only speculate how their rivalry would have panned out. It's quite possible there would be none, given how deep in Fed's head Rafa got even though Roger beat him from time to time. Imagine he would have been 0-5 against him.

The best anyone of the three got in my opinion was Djokovic in the first couple of months of 2011.

I am not exposed

Mar 16, 2014
Vancouver
This year's Wimbledon at the moment almost seems like a "gimme" for Djokovic. If he loses it, that could have some repercussions on the GS race in a big way.

Not getting the Covid vaccination and him being banned from Australia for 3 years is going to have a big impact. If he had got the shot, he would most likely get the record. Due to his own decision, not being able to compete in tournaments could have a big impact on how many Grand Slams he finishes with.

I personally rank him higher than Nadal, even though Nadal has won more Grand Slams. A lot more than just number of Grand Slams should be used when determining the best tennis player.

CapitalsCupReality

It’s Go Time!!
Feb 27, 2002
Nadal is really starting to physically break down.

Joker will win with longevity unless some younger guys stake a claim to the sport quickly.

Oct 18, 2006
I personally rank him higher than Nadal, even though Nadal has won more Grand Slams. A lot more than just number of Grand Slams should be used when determining the best tennis player.
100% agree. Novak has a lot more things going for him in the GOAT debate. Crazy that one slam to so many rules out all the other stuff.

Reactions: I am not exposed

alko

Oct 20, 2004
Slovakia
www.slovakhockey.sk
Carlos Alcaraz - 1

I know, i know. Too early to say, but still. He is only 19. Maybe 15 years before him. If he could win 1, in some years 2 Majors... He could be here.

Lets see in 15 years. I hope this thread will be still alive.

Reactions: Hadoop

The Abusement Park

HFBoards Sponsor
Sponsor
Jan 18, 2016
Carlos Alcaraz - 1

I know, i know. Too early to say, but still. He is only 19. Maybe 15 years before him. If he could win 1, in some years 2 Majors... He could be here.

Lets see in 15 years. I hope this thread will be still alive.
I agree, may be early, but I get the same feeling watching him play as I did with the big 3.

Maestro84

May 3, 2018
Toronto
The biggest reason why I’m not 100% certain that Novak wins the slam race is because Rafa is so automatic at the French Open, and guys like Alcatraz, Medvedev and Sinner are rising quickly. He also isn’t vaccinated so who knows how much he’ll be able to play next year

MVP of West Hollywd

Oct 28, 2008
I think Djokovic wins one more this year and then 2024 Australian, and then goes into a decline. He either finishes with 24 majors or wins one more random one for 25.

alko

Oct 20, 2004
Slovakia
www.slovakhockey.sk
Update after 2023 RG:

23 - Djokovic
22 - Nadal
20 - Federer
14 - Sampras

Some people says, Djokovic is in his best form ever. He is now 36 years old. Is it possible, he will take it to 30 majors?

He can play at top level maybe another 3-4 years. To win another 7 titles isnt impossible.

kihei

McEnroe: The older I get, the better I used to be.
Jun 14, 2006
Toronto
Update after 2023 RG:

23 - Djokovic
22 - Nadal
20 - Federer
14 - Sampras

Some people says, Djokovic is in his best form ever. He is now 36 years old. Is it possible, he will take it to 30 majors?

He can play at top level maybe another 3-4 years. To win another 7 titles isnt impossible.
30, I can't imagine. He benefits from being dominant in a cuspy period right now-- his fellow demigods retired or in serious decline while the wunderkind are marvelously talented but not quite ready to take over. He has maybe another nine months to a year until they do. After which the GS championships will dry up fast.

Even with an ideal situation 26 or 27 seem like the new ceiling to me. My guess would be that he ends up with 25. That's higher than I thought after Australia, though.

Bub

I like griping
Jul 5, 2006
Maine
30, I can't imagine. He benefits from being dominant in a cuspy period right now-- his fellow demigods retired or in serious decline while the wunderkind are marvelously talented but not quite ready to take over. He has maybe another nine months to a year until they do. After which the GS championships will dry up fast.

Even with an ideal situation 26 or 27 seem like the new ceiling to me. My guess would be that he ends up with 25. That's higher than I thought after Australia, though.

I think this is right. He's 36, battling near-constant little (and not so little) physical issues, and facing kids who haven't quite found that world-beating form yet (although Alcaraz looks the closest), and it will be tremendously hard to have to get through, say, two or three of them to get another major. I would not be surprised if yesterday proves to be his last major title ever. And I say that as a big fan.

Having said that, it also would not surprise me to see him with 2-3 more by this time next year, either. Whichever way it goes, it should be good for us tennis fans.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad