February 17th, 1979 NHL Coaches Poll - Toronto Star

Canadiens Fan

Oct 3, 2008
In an article written by Frank Orr of the Toronto Star, dated February 17th, 1979, all of the NHL coaches were asked anonymously to submit their choices in various categories given by the Toronto Star. Each NHL head coach at the time participated.

Below I have listed the winners in each category. In brackets I have put the runner-ups in order of finish. Sometimes the article lists the runner-up only. Other times it goes a few players deep.

Most Underrated Player - Bob MacMillian (Don Marcotte, Rick Middleton, Dave Taylor, Butch Goring)

Best Shot - Guy Lafleur (Mike Bossy, Lanny MacDonald)

Hardest Shot - Lanny MacDonald (Ian Turnbull, Reed Larson, Barry Beck, Denis Potvin)

Best Stickhandler - Guy Lafleur (Bryan Trottier, Gilbert Perreault)

Best Playmaker - Bryan Trottier (Guy Lafleur, Marcel Dionne, Borje Salming)

Best Penalty Killer - Bob Gainey (Craig Ramsey, Don Marcotte, Doug Jarvis)

Best Defensive Forward - Bob Gainey (Don Marcotte, Craig Ramsey)

Best Skater - Guy Lafleur (Borje Salming, Bob Gainey)

Fastest Skater - Guy Lafleur (Dan Labraaten)

Best Referee - John McCauley (Bruce Hood, Andy Van Hellemond)

Best Passer - Bryan Trottier (Guy Lafleur, Marcel Dionne, Borje Salming)

Best on Faceoffs - Bobby Clarke (Doug Jarvis, Stan Mikita)

Best Fighter - Stan Jonathan, Barry Beck tie (Willi Plett, Terry O'Reilly, Clark Gillies)

Most Dangerous Near Goal - Mike Bossy (Marcel Dionne, Guy Lafleur)

Best Coach - Don Cherry (Scotty Bowman, Al Arbour)

Smartest Player - Guy Lafleur (Bryan Trottier, Jean Ratelle, Bobby Clarke, Marcel Dionne)

Best Bodychecker - Denis Potvin (Dan Maloney, Bob Gainey, Terry O'Reilly)

Hardest Worker - Bobby Clarke (Terry O'Reilly)

Toughest Player - Terry O'Reilly (Dave Williams, Barry Beck, Stan Jonathan)

Most Improved Player - John Wensink (Bob MacMillian, Peter Lee, Guy Chouinard)

Most Colorful Player - Guy Lafleur (Terry O'Reilly, Borje Salming, Dave Williams)

Most Natural Ability - Guy Lafleur (Gilbert Perreault, Denis Potvin, Borje Salming)

Best Defensive Defenceman - Larry Robinson (Serge Savard, Borje Salming)

Best Goalie - Ken Dryden (Gerry Cheevers, Mike Palmateer)

Best Young Player - Mike Bossy (Bryan Trottier, Ryan Walter, Barry Beck)

Best Rookie - Ryan Walter (Bobby Smith, Wayne Babych, Glen Hanlon)

Most Valuable Player - Bryan Trottier (Guy Lafleur, Gerry Cheevers, Larry Robinson, Borje Salming)

Starting a team from scratch, First player chosen - Guy Lafleur (Bryan Trottier, Denis Potvin, Clark Gillies)

Stonefly

Jan 29, 2007
Whattya know, Jonathon is the guy I always chime in with when that best fighter question comes up.

Starting a team from scratch, first player chosen and some would have picked Gillies?

Trottier

Very Random
Feb 27, 2002
San Diego
Visit site
Whattya know, Jonathon is the guy I always chime in with when that best fighter question comes up.

Starting a team from scratch, first player chosen and some would have picked Gillies?

He was a bonafide power forward, and the best one at a time when there were very few, as you know.

As I mentioned elsewhere, his questionable HOF induction has skewed the guy's reputation. People argue that he is not a HOFer, which is a very valid opinion. But somehow what gets lost is that he was a superb, unique player for many years. An impact player - big, good skater, physical, feared and he could score. And, at the time of this poll, he was in his prime.

More telling from that particular question: three out of four choices are Isles. I suppose that's how you build a dynasty.

Stonefly

Jan 29, 2007
He was a bonafide power forward, and the best one at a time when there were very few, as you know.

As I mentioned elsewhere, his questionable HOF induction has skewed the guy's reputation. People argue that he is not a HOFer, which is a very valid opinion. But somehow what gets lost is that he was a superb, unique player for many years. An impact player - big, good skater, physical, feared and he could score. And, at the time of this poll, he was in his prime.

More telling from that particular question: three out of four choices are Isles. I suppose that's how you build a dynasty.

Yes don't get me wrong, I liked Gillies. I meant not to denigrate him just to question choosing him ahead of so many other talents in the game at the time. It seemed odd to me. But as I type this it is starting to seem less odd...
Why is Robinson the only name coming to mind? hmmm...

hgo

Mar 21, 2004
Manhattan
Interesting to see Cherry get voted best coach over number one and number two on the all-time coaching wins list.

Canadiens Fan

Oct 3, 2008
Interesting to see Cherry get voted best coach over number one and number two on the all-time coaching wins list.

This one kind of struck me too.

I would think that the Cherry vote has more to do with him seemingly achieving more with less than the other two as the Bruins had made the last two finals and were once again one of the league's top teams in 1978-79. Also, keep in mind that the Islanders at this point in time were seen as a team that had underachieved in the playoffs and a large part of that was placed at the feet of Al Arbour.

mrzeigler

.. but I'm not wrong
Sep 30, 2006
Pittsburgh
Thanks for sharing. I was only 6 when this poll was published and didn't start following hockey until 7 years later.

As someone who was aware of Trottier's reputation but only had specific memories of him during his time with my Penguins, I'm happy to see how he was regarded early on.

Crosbyfan

Nov 27, 2003
Thanks for sharing. I was only 6 when this poll was published and didn't start following hockey until 7 years later.

As someone who was aware of Trottier's reputation but only had specific memories of him during his time with my Penguins, I'm happy to see how he was regarded early on.

I really admired him for the role he played with the Penguins. The guy was a true champion and competitor his whole career.

Dennis Bonvie

Dec 29, 2007
Connecticut

Excellent post.

Starting a team with a guy that can score, hit, skate and is feared and plays a postion that is historically weak (left wing) isn't a bad idea.

Rasputin

Jul 28, 2008
Best Penalty Killer - Bob Gainey (Craig Ramsey, Don Marcotte, Doug Jarvis)

Best Defensive Forward - Bob Gainey (Don Marcotte, Craig Ramsey)

Best Skater - Guy Lafleur (Borje Salming, Bob Gainey)

Best Bodychecker - Denis Potvin (Dan Maloney, Bob Gainey, Terry O'Reilly)

Awesome! Keep 'em coming.

Ramsay, Wensink, MacMillan, Cheevers, Salming, and Maloney are particularly interesting here.
Funny how you notice Ramsay but Gainey completely goes over your head, even though he beats Rammer in every category and then some. :sarcasm:

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad