FDA: No more antibacterial soaps

Teemu

Caffeine Free Since 1919
Dec 3, 2002
http://www.nbcnews.com/health/health-news/fda-orders-antibacterials-removed-consumer-soaps-n642036

Say goodbye to those "antibacterial" soaps. The Food and Drug Administration says they do little or nothing to make soap work any better and said the industry has failed to prove they're safe.

Companies will have a year to take the ingredients out of the products, the FDA said. They include triclosan and triclocarban. Soap manufacturers will have an extra year to negotiate over other, less commonly used ingredients such as benzalkonium chloride.

jdhebner

Sponsor
Feb 24, 2003
I ain't cousin Basil
Visit site
About freaking time. We've known about this in college microbiology classes for about 12 years. The best way to clean hands is soap and water and vigorous scrubbing. In one class just rubbing your hands under warm water killed more bacteria that those fancy things.

EmeticDonut

Oct 7, 2006
Good. People need to get exposed to different germs to bolster their immune system. Especially kids. Living in bubble will just make you more susceptible to seasonal flu's. I was a dirty kid and played around in muck and mud and the family had pets my whole life and I get the flu once a year that is usually sorted in a week or so and no allergies.

LT

XXXX - XXXX - ____ - ____
Jul 23, 2010
Good. People need to get exposed to different germs to bolster their immune system. Especially kids. Living in bubble will just make you more susceptible to seasonal flu's. I was a dirty kid and played around in muck and mud and the family had pets my whole life and I get the flu once a year that is usually sorted in a week or so and no allergies.

This doesn't really change what you're saying, though.

PredsV82

Trade Saros
Sponsor
Aug 13, 2007

I'm pretty sure the FDA angle on this is that it's a false claim, not that it's bad to be using antibacterial soap or that by using "antibacterial" soap we are creating superb us or lowering our own immunity

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad